+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Partick Thistle (A) March 2024

Our form has been poor ever since and including the home defeat to Raith. A lot of terrible performances, some ok results, but very few reassuring performances, probably Patrick thistle at home and Raith away when we failed to get the job done.

Maybe if we keep wetherspoon/docherty fit it might help, but that's a big if. It's easy to target tilson and grieve, unfairly at times, but bottom line is they haven't improved us. I thought grieve was brought in as an option to play alongside moult or up top,but he seems to just be filling one of the three positions behind the striker, which I don't think he has the skills for, suprised he has been given four starts.

As for Middleton/watt, I honestly don't think they are underachievers, I just think this is their level, they will will have moments but don't have to the ability to dominate or be consistent. Manager could get more out of them by moving them about a bit more, even during games. He is so rigid in where he uses them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sande_Man View Post
    In the context of talking about what a manager gets to spend of course it’s a budget.

What other manager in this league would have been given the money for Gallagher? What other manager would have got an English premiership goalkeeper on loan when we have an international goalie in the squad already (I understand he’s shockingly bad but he’s paid like an Aussie international). What other manager got to get a Kiwi international striker in on loan in January?

The point is the coach together with the DoF have spent very good money since we got relegated whether we are skint or not and we should be walking the league especially when we were a good few points clear after the first 8-10 games!

Goodwin has either spent the money badly or he’s a garbage coach….or more worryingly - Both!
    When the budget relies on the need to offload players, i wish there was another word to describe it! On Gallagher though, i seem to remember JG brought him in with the knowledge that someone else was on the verge of signing elsewhere, and while that was a rumour at the time, i think JG also said something to that effect in an interview.

And i dont think we have much support for JG in searching for new players. He is a manager and i think all the previous DoFs team left with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    When the budget relies on the need to offload players, i wish there was another word to describe it! On Gallagher though, i seem to remember JG brought him in with the knowledge that someone else was on the verge of signing elsewhere, and while that was a rumour at the time, i think JG also said something to that effect in an interview.

And i dont think we have much support for JG in searching for new players. He is a manager and i think all the previous DoFs team left with him.
    Think it was mentioned that JG is working with Luigi Capuano on transfers but presumably there's no scouting being done by Capuano! I think the players that have come in have been identified by JG, Capuano doing the contracts etc.
    In the circumstances I think they did pretty well to offload so many so quickly and JG's recruitment has been ok (with a couple of exceptions 😎

It was only a few months ago that we were praising the turnaround done quickly on a low budget.

The problem imo isn't the players as such, it's the inability of the coach to blend them into a side that has the creative ability to consistently break down packed defences. So often we've huffed and puffed and run out of ideas.

Just watched the highlights of Saturday’s game on Patrick too. Camera was behind the goals in the Thistle end. As you can imagine highlights were pretty one sided in fact I don’t think Moult’s goal was actually shown. However it clearly shows Brian Graham a yard offside as it was headed on. I think someone mentioned this in a previous post but United highlights package is taken from the centre so not as obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by southwestarab View Post
    Just watched the highlights of Saturday’s game on Patrick too. Camera was behind the goals in the Thistle end. As you can imagine highlights were pretty one sided in fact I don’t think Moult’s goal was actually shown. However it clearly shows Brian Graham a yard offside as it was headed on. I think someone mentioned this in a previous post but United highlights package is taken from the centre so not as obvious.
    I thought it was hard to tell who headed it on though - was it a Partick team mate or was it a united player? I haven't seen the angle you're talking about mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    I thought it was hard to tell who headed it on though - was it a Partick team mate or was it a united player? I haven't seen the angle you're talking about mind you.
    It was Partick tv that I saw the highlights on. Camera was behind the goals so was really close up to play. Thought it was a Thistle head that headed it on but will have another look. Good result tonight.
    Just watched it again. To me it was deffo a Thistle head that knocked it on. It’s on you tube , Partick archive.
    Last edited by southwestarab; 05-03-2024 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    It doesn't matter who's head it came off as the original ball was played forward by a Partick player, which would instantly play any attacking player offside before any contact was made. Unless.......... someone is saying BG managed to move from an onside position to a hanging on the post position in a micro-second.

Sour grapes , I know, but... I'd still rather live with it than having to put up with VAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    It doesn't matter who's head it came off as the original ball was played forward by a Partick player, which would instantly play any attacking player offside before any contact was made. Unless.......... someone is saying BG managed to move from an onside position to a hanging on the post position in a micro-second.

Sour grapes , I know, but... I'd still rather live with it than having to put up with VAR.
    If it came off a United head and was deemed a deliberate attempt to play the ball, then it becomes a new phase of play and he is onside. Nonsense rules if you ask me, but they are what they are.

Ultimately, still happier with some errors than with VAR. If it was even an error........

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    If it came off a United head and was deemed a deliberate attempt to play the ball, then it becomes a new phase of play and he is onside. Nonsense rules if you ask me, but they are what they are.

Ultimately, still happier with some errors than with VAR. If it was even an error........
    A new phase of play, in a micro-second? That's a new one on me, but..I'm sure you are correct, I got bored, and can't keep up with all the ridiculous changes ages ago.

Can we just play a forward nowadays in an advanced position then, waiting on a defender to attempt to play the ball, and if they do get a clip then the new phase plays them onside? It's obvious you know the new rules, but FFS....what's happening to the game???

I gie up ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    A new phase of play, in a micro-second? That's a new one on me, but..I'm sure you are correct, I got bored, and can't keep up with all the ridiculous changes ages ago.

Can we just play a forward nowadays in an advanced position then, waiting on a defender to attempt to play the ball, and if they do get a clip then the new phase plays them onside? It's obvious you know the new rules, but FFS....what's happening to the game???

I gie up ...
    It is indeed absurd. I kind of hate myself for knowing the new rules too! Even worse is how subjective it is. What is a deliberate playing of the ball and what is a deflection? A deflection is the same phase of play but playing deliberately is a new phase....

I long for the days of the clear daylight between forward and last defender rule. Took away all the nonsense of interfering with play, phase of play, shirt sleeve zone etc. Everyone new where they stood....and indeed where they should not stand!

Honestly, when I am not forensically dissecting offside rules I am genuinely a fun person.......just ask any of the lads at the stamp collecting club

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)