Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
Under Asgar we didn't seem interested in developing players for the first team, strategy seemed to be give them some game time asp so we can punt them to an Premiership academy as soon as possible. I always thought that was a false economy, you get a guy in your first team for a season or two, and he shows up well, you still get all the same add ons and what not you get as you would selling him at 16, difference is they have to pay a here and now transfer too.

It's a lot easier bedding a youngster into a settled and decent team, look at Sheep, looked ok couple of seasons ago in a well organised defence, regressed dramatically thereafter. Not saying he would have gone on to be a superstar, in fact I thought he was on par with Liam Smith, and only reason a lot of the time people harked on about him was because he WASN'T liam Smith, and out the team, but could probably have turned into an average SPL player.

Think Courts leaving messed things up too, he was familair with all these players, Meekison was starting to establish himself under Courts, change of manager just set all that back. Our youngsters have been largely uninspiring unfortunately, maybe not all down to them, Miller-Thompson seems on of the few who actually looks like he can come in and make a mark. Strangely the only time I had any hope in our youngsters was when we played Rangers when COVID savaged our team, I was really impressed with the team that day. What the hell happened to Moore btw? They actually played decent football too, I wondered if it was because their styles fit into a certain manner and being surrounded by like players actually strenghtened them as a unit.
yeah they should have got a draw that day if it wasnt for Scott mcmann handballing it. If your a youngester thats been around the squad the last 4/5 years how many managers have you had? cant help