+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Substitutions

Substitutions

Whilst in Carlos I trust, last nights changes were individually disappointing. I’m sure he was undertaking some necessary squad rotation to maintain our key players’ fitness / injury safeguard.
    Chalobah struggled to get in the game and passing was dire, as was Reach. (At least the latter runs around) I listened to the radio phone-in on the way back from the match and the pundits were of the opinion that both these players are reliable substitutes to maintain the status quo ? I’m afraid I didn’t see that…is it me ? Another Coventry goal was inevitable I thought
    Notwithstanding, an excellent and timely 3 points, albeit obtained with excessive blood pressure!

I know what you mean Pranders, I have just heard a report that said the changes helped to close out the game, so I don’t think all of them were bad. It’s what a lot of teams do now, three changes on 60 and two more on around 80 plus.
    I think he’s managing energy levels of some players too.
    Last edited by boingy; 02-03-2024 at 11:24 AM.

Townsend was substituted with a possible hamstring. So Reach was just filling that need. Yokuslu looked tired so I reckon Carlos was resting him because of how important it is to keep him fit.

I saw it a little different. We had front players sprinting at their players in the last minutes of the match and we didn't make it easy for Coventry and I think CC managed the match well by limiting how effective their momentum was. Given they had limited time on the ball, they didn't create a lot of meaningful opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Whilst in Carlos I trust, last nights changes were individually disappointing. I’m sure he was undertaking some necessary squad rotation to maintain our key players’ fitness / injury safeguard.
    Chalobah struggled to get in the game and passing was dire, as was Reach. (At least the latter runs around) I listened to the radio phone-in on the way back from the match and the pundits were of the opinion that both these players are reliable substitutes to maintain the status quo ? I’m afraid I didn’t see that…is it me ? Another Coventry goal was inevitable I thought
    Notwithstanding, an excellent and timely 3 points, albeit obtained with excessive blood pressure!

Totally agree with you Prando. Okay came off too early. Chalobah gave the ball away too much. Thought Bartley helped when he came on.

Grady got a bit of criticism which was unfair. He did OK for me and that goal was excellent with one touch. Asante would not have scored that. Grady has the ability and it’s a confidence thing - Mowatt and Kipre were in the same boat.

Wallace was poor last night if the finger needs to be pointed.

Grady ain't a midfield player period. Outmuscled and loses the ball in our half too often but he tries to fill the role he is asked to play. Wallace ain't a centre forward period. Anonymous in the first half in particular but is trying to do the job he is asked of. Coventry only ever looked dangerous when we gave the ball away through down right carelessness which has been prevalent all season. First half when we are trying to score and win the game we play pedestrian football except for the two goals which came from good wing play. Second half when we don't have to chase the game we speed the play up and give the ball away criminally in our own half instead of keeping the ball and making Coventry run around chasing the ball. I don't get it at all. I did not enjoy that second half at all and expected to come away with a disappointing draw. Albion never do things easily that is for sure.

Diangana is far too lightweight and, apart from the goal which he took well, he had a poor game again. I think that he is better used a second half substitute.

Indeed Grady was often forced off the ball and was subjected to some heavy fouls, mostly with a free kick awarded. Despite this, I thought he put a decent shift in and managed to score. He was accordingly subbed by CC at the right time.
    The Yoku substitution was always going to be an issue, given his dominance. However, I suspect keeping him free from injury was in CC’s thinking. His swap for Chalobah was always going to change the game.
    Having criticised both him and Reach earlier in this post, to be fair they have both performed much better in recent games.
    Undoubtedly CC knows what he’s doing.

As I’ve stated before, Yokuslu and Mowatt completely dominated the midfield and Yokuslu didn’t look too tired to me. Once that partnership was split up we didn’t look the same side. Reach for the injured Townsend was an obvious decision. I’ve always been an advocate that the players who’ve got a side into a strong position should remain in situ. It’s OK thinking of the next game but we could easily not have won last night. The only other change that I would have made, would have been Weimann for Wallace. Basically, too many substitutions.

Thought Yokuslu looked jaded personally and I imagine he was taken off to preempt a muscle related strain or injury.

He'd put in a very good shift before a couple of simple passes went astray, a sure sign that the energy levels of a player of his quality are dipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)