+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Thought Yokuslu looked jaded personally and I imagine he was taken off to preempt a muscle related strain or injury.

He'd put in a very good shift before a couple of simple passes went astray, a sure sign that the energy levels of a player of his quality are dipping.
    You could be correct regarding Yokuslu ‘68 but I’d be interested to know your opinion regarding the number of substitutions made, or anyone else’s observations for that matter.

We have just played 7 games in 27 days with very little rest in between, we have another game in midweek and we were winning 2-0, Yokuslu was giving the ball away and looked tired, so no surprise he was taken off, Townsend went off injured which did cause an issue, but as soon as we switched to a back 5 we looked more comfortable, we are struggling without a striker effectively starting with 4 wingers means we have to change the system when you bring subs on which sometimes make us look disjointed, but the points total since boxing day is pretty impressive so CC must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    You could be correct regarding Yokuslu ‘68 but I’d be interested to know your opinion regarding the number of substitutions made, or anyone else’s observations for that matter.
    Hello LB. I had no problem with the number of substitutions. As stated I believe Yokuslu went because of fatigue and Townsend went because of a tight hamstring.

As for the other substitutions some could perhaps have been timed differently but managers themselves have to consider the rules regarding the frequency and clusters of substitutions.

Those rules present minefields of their own and something we as supporters don't have to contend with. I imagine those rules become particularly challenging as opposition managers switch tactics and personnel.

In fact that's probably why the oft maligned Reach gets so much game time. He's versatile, covers several positions and allows Carlos to change the shape of the team in the closing stages.

I'll leave the obvious tap in that Reach's versatility makes him equally s hit in a number of positions to others 😃.

I don’t get this fatigue thing, teams in the 70’s played on quagmire pitches, the physical side of the game was worse than today, only one sub was allowed, teams played with cup replays etc 50 -60 games a season, didn’t Liverpool played over 70 games at one point?
    I think lots of substitutions are made these days because they can
    Players far too pampered these days
    I remember in the 70’s and 80’s watching Whitby Town play sat/ tues and at Easter Good Friday, Saturday then Easter Monday and these were amateurs with full time jobs

Hello LB. I had no problem with the number of substitutions. As stated I believe Yokuslu went because of fatigue and Townsend went because of a tight hamstring.

As for the other substitutions some could perhaps have been timed differently but managers themselves have to consider the rules regarding the frequency and clusters of substitutions.

Those rules present minefields of their own and something we as supporters don't have to contend with. I imagine those rules become particularly challenging as opposition managers switch tactics and personnel.

In fact that's probably why the oft maligned Reach gets so much game time. He's versatile, covers several positions and allows Carlos to change the shape of the team in the closing stages.

I'll leave the obvious tap in that Reach's versatility makes him equally s hit in a number of positions to others 😃.
    You make a great point that some of our fans seem to forget, although you can make 5 subs you can only make them during 3 different times, CC and the technical team will have a lot of data about the players output and when they are at risk of injury, we have a few players that are very important to us and need their game time managing, on your point about Reach, I think he has been fine in the last 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    I don’t get this fatigue thing, teams in the 70’s played on quagmire pitches, the physical side of the game was worse than today, only one sub was allowed, teams played with cup replays etc 50 -60 games a season, didn’t Liverpool played over 70 games at one point?
    I think lots of substitutions are made these days because they can
    Players far too pampered these days
    I remember in the 70’s and 80’s watching Whitby Town play sat/ tues and at Easter Good Friday, Saturday then Easter Monday and these were amateurs with full time jobs
    Posted by someone who's never played season after season on modern rock hard pitches with very little give. I haven't either by the way 😁 .

Yes I agree that today's players are pampered by the standards of yesteryear. Those at the highest level in particular.

They're also a damned sight fitter and have a lot more physical degradation than your average player at Whitby Town who doubles up as a full-time plumber.

That's before taking performing in high the pressure atmosphere of the professional game into account both on a match day and maintaining peak levels during training on equally hard pitches.

Professional football clubs have a lot of resources at their disposal so it makes sense to utilise those resources to maintain the fitness levels of the best resources at their disposal.

.... 'the high pressure atmosphere' FFS 😁 .

Thought Yokuslu looked jaded personally and I imagine he was taken off to preempt a muscle related strain or injury.

He'd put in a very good shift before a couple of simple passes went astray, a sure sign that the energy levels of a player of his quality are dipping.
    Chalobah is s h I t from the moment he comes on the pitch.

Where’s he expended his energy?

Posted by someone who's never played season after season on modern rock hard pitches with very little give. I haven't either by the way 😁 .

Yes I agree that today's players are pampered by the standards of yesteryear. Those at the highest level in particular.

They're also a damned sight fitter and have a lot more physical degradation than your average player at Whitby Town who doubles up as a full-time plumber.

That's before taking performing in high the pressure atmosphere of the professional game into account both on a match day and maintaining peak levels during training on equally hard pitches.

Professional football clubs have a lot of resources at their disposal so it makes sense to utilise those resources to maintain the fitness levels of the best resources at their disposal.
    Good post, but we also played from March/ April onwards on rock hard pitches with hardly any grass down the middle and the goal mouths were covered in sharp sand
    These modern day players wouldn’t last five minutes in the 60’s/ 70’s

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Chalobah is s h I t from the moment he comes on the pitch.

Where’s he expended his energy?
    Compiling social media video footage for the club's official site and X account between the occasional bit of football from what I can gather 😁 .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)