+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Burnley v Bournemouth

I only saw the highlights but I thought we played well (which the stats confirm) but lacked the finishing touch. One of their goals was a wicked deflection so not JT's fault. We don't get the breaks but as has been said all season we are missing a good striker. If we had a 20 goal a season player we'd be mid table.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Indeed we huffed and puffed CiB, but I'm not quite sure how useless our strikers are. Haaland put one over the bar from two feet against United, it was far worse than anything our lads have missed this season, he's missed more sitters than any of our strikers this season, but Haaland won't have to wait long before another chance comes along, our lads might have to wait a game or two. We just don't make enough chances imo.
    I have watched an awful lot of football thei season, mainly Burnley, Manchester City and Sheffield United.
    It is clear that all players make mistakes, but with Manchester City they have the squad that in most games can be relied upon to score more goals than the opposition. I seem to recall at one time Joe Mercer who was than the Manchester City manager saying that it did not matter if the opposition scored four goals as long as we score five.

The present Burnley team have some good team performances in them as was shown in the first half last Saturday, and but for miskates by O'Shea we would have got a least a point. I also think that O'Shea is nowhere near a premier league player, alright he does have the odd game where he looks to have it in him, but I would have sooner we spent more wisely and bought Harwood-Bellis.

Having watched our disallowed goal several time I am unsure if Bruun-Larsen committed a foul or not, but it would have been good to see Josh Cullen on the score sheet.

Watching Sheffied United last night their defending was far worse than I have seen at Burnley this season, Wilder had no idea how to stop the Arsenal forwards, he appears to have less tactical knowledge than any other premier leage manager. Yet some Burnley fans wanted him to replace Sean Dyche, thank god we missed that pitfall.
    Last edited by Vintage Claret; 05-03-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Never one to jump in with both feet, I've had a couple of days to reflect and another look at the game. My view is that it was a good performance, let down by a couple of errors from O'Shea and another dubious refereeing decision ruling out our goal. The performance was certainly good enough to win the game, but as so often this season we don't take the few chances we get , but on another day we could have won the game.

What I didn't see were several things that have been mentioned on here recently, I didn't see any lack of effort, I didn't see any cowards, I didn't see any spineless amoebas and I didn't see that goalkeeper who is effing useless. Overall I was quite happy with that performance, if not the result. Having said that, despite what BT might say, I'm not daft, we're going down and no mistake, that much is obvious now.
    I quite agree sinkov. It’s much wiser in my experience to jump in with just the one foot at a time! Two footed interventions usually risk a red card. I am minded to think Sheffield United changed their manager when the going got rough and their last 3 home games have been 0-5, 0-5, 0-6. Luton’s strategy has clearly worked far better (at least in the short term) than that of both of the automatically promoted clubs. They may yet survive with the Clarets and the Blades going straight back down to the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    I have watched an awful lot of football thei season, mainly Burnley, Manchester City and Sheffield United.
    It is clear that all players make mistakes, but with Manchester City they have the squad that in most games can be relied upon to score more goals than the opposition. I seem to recall at one time Joe Mercer who was than the Manchester City manager saying that it did not matter if the opposition scored four goals as long as we score five.

The present Burnley team have some good team performances in them as was shown in the first half last Saturday, and but for miskates by O'Shea we would have got a least a point. I also think that O'Shea is nowhere near a premier league player, alright he does have the odd game where he looks to have it in him, but I would have sooner we spent more wisely and bought Harwood-Bellis.

Having watched our disallowed goal several time I am unsure if Bruun-Larsen committed a foul or not, but it would have been good to see Josh Cullen on the score sheet.

Watching Sheffied United last night their defending was far worse than I have seen at Burnley this season, Wilder had no idea how to stop the Arsenal forwards, he appears to have less tactical knowledge than any other premier leage manager. Yet some Burnley fans wanted him to replace Sean Dyche, thank god we missed that pitfall.
    Thing is vintage as I pointed out last week we have several ( let’s call them gambles ) players where we are hoping one or two excel and we reap the rewards both ways on the field and off when we sell them.

Arsenal last week had a player that cost pushing 100million on his own - ( it showed as well ). Man City are the same dripping with talent and very expensive footballers.

Imo the premier league has moved on again from Dyches time and it’s getting even harder to compete at this level- without doing what we are doing ( trying to find a rough diamond that eventually pays dividends and we sell for huge profit ). ( Brighton good example of this- re investing in the players ).

Can’t say that we have it right we don’t ! based on what’s happened already this season - but I kind of see the philosophy behind it - it doesn’t make it any easier watching it every week either.

I have t been able to say this much this season but i actually enjoyed Saturdays game even though the result was wrong for us.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)