+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Bolton Wanderers

Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Bolton Wanderers

I think I'm right in saying this is the biggest game of the season so far this season .

I doesn't decide anything of course but none the less a victory for either side will certainly go along way towards securing a top two spot at the end of the season .

Both club's sit comfortably in the Play Off's and it would take an absolute catastrophic run of form from now until the end of the season to finish outside the top 6 .

I reckon both club's would probably take the draw if offered right now at least privately .

I think it's fair to say we've held the upper hand over Wanderers since we resumed this quirky rivalry of late that began in the late 90's .

They couldn't get the better of us then either despite possibly having a better team , they tended to finish above us at least .

Interested night ahead .

Our final game at home against any of the teams in with a shout of finishing in the top six---

Barnsley 2 Portsmouth 3
    Barnsley 2 Derby 1
    Barnsley-v-Bolton
    Barnsley 1 Peterborough 3
    Barnsley 2 Stevenage 1
    Barnsley 1 Oxford 3
    Barnsley 0 Blackpool 1

Most defeats were early on when the defence was a shambles.

Now more organised with more experienced players.

I'm going for the result we often got against them--Barnsley 2 Bolton 2

Massive fixture is this. It's certainly a 'must not lose' game in terms of us getting top 2. However, the onus is on us being the home side and the one playing catch up. Bolton play out from the back. To counter this we did a high press job on them at the Reebok. They couldn't cope with us that day and we should've won that game comfortably on the chances that we created.We've also got to bear in mind that day Bolton had their regular defenders missing. I don't know if that's still the case. I'm hoping McAtee returns, no offence to Cosgrove who has done well of late but Macca's a better player imo. Same with Nicky Cadden over O'keefe.

I expect another decent crowd for this. Don't know how many Bolton are bringing but they've got one of the best away followings in this division.

I think we're in for a very entertaining evening. I can't wait personally

Defence is sound now pass and move, both Santos (suspended) and Jones (Asia Cup) are both back fit and so is Williams our usual LWB after injury. We’re still missing Baxter our keeper and possibly Dion Charles who’s been out injured but could be back for this one, though I think on the bench would be the most likely. We slipped up badly last week with defeats at Blackpool and Wigan. We should have been 2 or 3 up at Blackpool at half time but yet again missed two absolute sitters then the ref got the penalty rules totally wrong and sent off Santos who then had the card rescinded. How we lost to Wigan is still a mystery, we absolutely mullered them but again just couldn’t score then got caught late on with a sucker punch! So it’s not that we’re playing badly more we just can’t take the chances we’re creating.

Obviously you boys don’t have that problem you’ve really come on recently especially away from home where you have a terrific record. You’ve been a little more generous at home so I’m hoping you continue that on Tuesday? We’ve struggled against you in the last few games as you’ve well stifled our play out from the back system but our loanee Paris Maghoma from Brentford and Josh Sheehan in midfield are on fire at the moment and with Aaron Collins starting to look the part up top we may be more of a task for you this time. Obviously though it’s about goals and unless we improve on that it won’t matter how well we play otherwise. Really looking forward to my “home” game on Tuesday so let’s just hope it’s a cracker and if it’s not a draw the team that deserves it wins? We haven’t deserved it in the last few but I’m confident this time it will be different. ��

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyWhites View Post
    Defence is sound now pass and move, both Santos (suspended) and Jones (Asia Cup) are both back fit and so is Williams our usual LWB after injury. We’re still missing Baxter our keeper and possibly Dion Charles who’s been out injured but could be back for this one, though I think on the bench would be the most likely. We slipped up badly last week with defeats at Blackpool and Wigan. We should have been 2 or 3 up at Blackpool at half time but yet again missed two absolute sitters then the ref got the penalty rules totally wrong and sent off Santos who then had the card rescinded. How we lost to Wigan is still a mystery, we absolutely mullered them but again just couldn’t score then got caught late on with a sucker punch! So it’s not that we’re playing badly more we just can’t take the chances we’re creating.

Obviously you boys don’t have that problem you’ve really come on recently especially away from home where you have a terrific record. You’ve been a little more generous at home so I’m hoping you continue that on Tuesday? We’ve struggled against you in the last few games as you’ve well stifled our play out from the back system but our loanee Paris Maghoma from Brentford and Josh Sheehan in midfield are on fire at the moment and with Aaron Collins starting to look the part up top we may be more of a task for you this time. Obviously though it’s about goals and unless we improve on that it won’t matter how well we play otherwise. Really looking forward to my “home” game on Tuesday so let’s just hope it’s a cracker and if it’s not a draw the team that deserves it wins? We haven’t deserved it in the last few but I’m confident this time it will be different. ��

The midfield should be an interesting battle then because I think our midfield is up there with best that this division has to offer. Will our head coach compromise our playing style in order to try and win this game or will he stick with our passing style where both teams will clash. Either way it'll be a great game imo

Although I think this will end in a draw, I’m pleased that Collins has said he went to Wigan to watch the game against Bolton! I watched it on TV and though Bolton were the much better side Wigan frustrated them no end and played their game plan brilliantly taking every opportunity to shut down their midfield by fair or foul means! Let’s not forget Wigan did the double over them 5-0 on aggregate winning 4-0 away in August!
    I think Neil will have learned a lot from last Tuesday’s game probably with similar tactics employed, shutting down Sheehan being the main point taken.
    One thing to say about what Barnsley Whites pointed out with Aaron Collins, I know he scored on saturday, but against Wigan the commentators were not overly enthusiastic about him, stating he hasn’t settled or offered much to the team? And it was proven when he came on doing little or nothing!
    It will be interesting and I’m another one who can’t wait for Tuesday, hopefully my scarf will be swirling above my head more than it’s around my neck.

You’re spot on Perky, Wigan just had eleven back and frustrated us because they knew that was the only way they could compete and they did it superbly. I somehow can’t see Collins doing that because you need to win this one if you can rather than settle for a draw which really at this stage of the season suits neither of us. Derby probably have on paper the easiest run in so whilst a draw might seem a decent result I’m not sure it is in that context and both managers will look to win it. As for Aaron Collins, your right he was poor at Wigan but was different class once he scored on Saturday which really seemed to lift his confidence. As you say though the battle will be fiercest in the middle with both teams on form there at the moment. At the end of the day though it’s about who takes their chances and without Dion, now confirmed as out, we’ve struggled so on that you look favourites. It should be a really good game though so let’s just hope we don’t get an over fussy ref and the best team wins? ��

Agree BW let's hope we are not talking about the ref after the game!
    Should be an absolute cracker this one with very few tickets left for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    Should be an absolute cracker this one with very few tickets left for the game.
    Quite a number buy the U14 Season ticket(s) in the seats next to them for £10 a season, whether or not their kids actually attend. A bonus this season is that a free upgrade from the U14 ticket to Adult is available for this match.

Quite a saving available in just one match to take a mate along rather than pay the full match ticket price.

I can see even more buying "ghost seats" at £10 a season next season.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Quite a number buy the U14 Season ticket(s) in the seats next to them for £10 a season, whether or not their kids actually attend. A bonus this season is that a free upgrade from the U14 ticket to Adult is available for this match.

Quite a saving available in just one match to take a mate along rather than pay the full match ticket price.

I can see even more buying "ghost seats" at £10 a season next season.
    Quite a few use it to get extra A*se room I suspect

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast