+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Bolton Wanderers

I think it's also worthy of mention that there was a huge difference in quality from what Bolton had available to them from the bench and what we had .

That's what contributed immensely in my opinion to Bolton getting a grip on the game as we ran out of gas .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I think it's also worthy of mention that there was a huge difference in quality from what Bolton had available to them from the bench and what we had .

That's what contributed immensely in my opinion to Bolton getting a grip on the game as we ran out of gas .
    I was just about to make the same point myself Animal. Showed last night didn't it? And also their additional experience overall.

However, as a general point, let's not forget we were the better team for over an hour. Sometimes it's easy to let the finish to the game dominate your impression of the game as a whole. I'm not sure that we didn't deserve the win. Whatever else happened, we were 2-1 with a minute of injury time to go and had a dodgy penalty given against us. Yes our goalkeeper made some good saves but he's part of the team just as much as any other player is. The saves he made weren't lucky; Bolton failed to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    I was just about to make the same point myself Animal. Showed last night didn't it? And also their additional experience overall.

However, as a general point, let's not forget we were the better team for over an hour. Sometimes it's easy to let the finish to the game dominate your impression of the game as a whole. I'm not sure that we didn't deserve the win. Whatever else happened, we were 2-1 with a minute of injury time to go and had a dodgy penalty given against us. Yes our goalkeeper made some good saves but he's part of the team just as much as any other player is. The saves he made weren't lucky; Bolton failed to beat him.
    Good points Arbie.

If you think back to Ismaels way of defending ie high line and goalkeeper sweeper, teams struggled to break us down generally. I know you need the personnel to play that system. With Pines in the middle and the two at the side of him, I think we should give it a go. Pines pace of recovery at this level is more than adequate and Im sure with his international experience he could organise the other two.

If we had gone that way last night, even for part of the second half when the pressure ramped up, we would have given Bolton something to think about. They would have had to navigate a congested midfield for starters, perhaps forcing them to go long ball where we have the pace to combat that.

Instead we went deeper and deeper leaving more space for Bolton to play their passing game and we struggled. They found ways to cause us problems and we didnt respond we just hoped we would hang on. We know traditional defending hasnt been our strength and we are readily broken down and concede. Wycombe is a good example.

Im just throwing it out there for discussion as I cant fathom why we didnt change our tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Good points Arbie.

If you think back to Ismaels way of defending ie high line and goalkeeper sweeper, teams struggled to break us down generally. I know you need the personnel to play that system. With Pines in the middle and the two at the side of him, I think we should give it a go. Pines pace of recovery at this level is more than adequate and Im sure with his international experience he could organise the other two.

If we had gone that way last night, even for part of the second half when the pressure ramped up, we would have given Bolton something to think about. They would have had to navigate a congested midfield for starters, perhaps forcing them to go long ball where we have the pace to combat that.

Instead we went deeper and deeper leaving more space for Bolton to play their passing game and we struggled. They found ways to cause us problems and we didnt respond we just hoped we would hang on. We know traditional defending hasnt been our strength and we are readily broken down and concede. Wycombe is a good example.

Im just throwing it out there for discussion as I cant fathom why we didnt change our tactic.
    That would have been a very good tactic to have employed last night Eths.
    Last night was the first time that I've seen Pines play. He looks rapid to me, very much like Marc Roberts was. And when he scored, I actually thought that it was Cole that had scored until I saw the replay, his fingers sh was that good. Earl has been a good acquisition as well and I thought De Gevigney was very good last night, quietly getting on with the job. The makings of a very good defensive unit as you say.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345