+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Gedling Miners Welfare 2-0 St Andrews -blog from Groundhopper

O/T:- Gedling Miners Welfare 2-0 St Andrews -blog from Groundhopper

This week's blog from Gedling, featuring:
    the Battle of Orgreave, Coolio and Stevie Wonder:

https://stickypalms.blogspot.com/202...t-andrews.html

Cheers
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-03-2024 at 11:32 PM.

Weatherfield Rovers????? Are we Notts Rovers instead of Notts County? They are proudly celebrating their 130th year as a Football League club and you can't get their bloody name right!

"Weatherfield County FC is the local football team in Weatherfield that was formed in 1887 as a canal workers' football team. Two years later, they were a founder member of the Lancashire League and were twice crowned champions before being elected to the Football League in 1894".

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Weatherfield Rovers????? Are we Notts Rovers instead of Notts County? They are proudly celebrating their 130th year as a Football League club and you can't get their bloody name right!
    I've never heard Mapperley Top being referred to as Mapperley Tops. And if he'd take 1min to walk up from Queen St to Upper Parliament St he could have saved more than 5 minutes walk the other end by catching the 46/47.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

"Weatherfield County FC is the local football team in Weatherfield that was formed in 1887 as a canal workers' football team. Two years later, they were a founder member of the Lancashire League and were twice crowned champions before being elected to the Football League in 1894".
    I remember that in the early 70s barmaid Bet Lynch boasted of dating the centre-forward for 'County',which I took to be a not-so-oblique equivalence of Weatherfield = Stockport.
    I haven't seen the show in years. Tell me,does that sanctimonious tw@t Ken Barlow still haunt the Strasse ?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    I remember that in the early 70s barmaid Bet Lynch boasted of dating the centre-forward for 'County',which I took to be a not-so-oblique equivalence of Weatherfield = Stockport.
    That would be Eddie Duncan, although it seems Bet wasn't alone:

"Both Irma Barlow and Bet Lynch had affairs with player Eddie Duncan and their partying affected Eddie's playing, much to the displeasure of the menfolk of Coronation Street".

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    I haven't seen the show in years. Tell me,does that sanctimonious tw@t Ken Barlow still haunt the Strasse ?
    He does indeed. In the programme Ken was left leaning politically, but in real life he definitely swung the other way.

"Roache is a supporter of the Conservative Party, in stark contrast to his character Ken Barlow, who has been stereotyped as a Labour supporter. In 2007, as a guest for Daily Politics, he championed Sir John Major as Britain's greatest post-war prime minister. He backed Conservative MP Neil Hamilton in the 1997 election against Martin Bell".

He's also local, being born in Basford and educated in Ilkeston. He's now facing bankruptcy charges, but he does have one memory to look back on fondly. He was once with weathergirl Emma Jesson for a couple of years, and she still looks fantastic today.

. He was once with weathergirl Emma Jesson for a couple of years, and she still looks fantastic today.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you there Elite….she used to be the highlight of the itv East Midlands news and she is still stunning!!….didn’t she marry a celebrity clown?? 🤡

Quote Originally Posted by for*sttown63 View Post
    . He was once with weathergirl Emma Jesson for a couple of years, and she still looks fantastic today.
    Have to agree with you there Elite….she used to be the highlight of the itv East Midlands news and she is still stunning!!….didn’t she marry a celebrity clown?? 🤡[/QUOTE]

Her next husband had big shoes to fill.