+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Away record upto now

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Some folk just have it in for him. I'm really not sure what that's all about to be honest.
    Well speaking only for myself of course,but I was against his appointment in the first place and whilst its looking like he has achieved the objective it still hasn't been a thoroughly convincing tenure to date. As I've already said,he's not been up to the task in big games ( just look at his atrocious cup record for evidence) and has accidentally stumbled upon this winning formula of the last few games imo. This would be going right down to the wire if it hadn't been for enforced changes. All that said,if he does stay and he does well in the top flight all will be forgiven.

I have a foot in both camps to be honest. Surely we can't be thinking of getting rid of a manager that has got us up (probably winning the title) at first time of asking?

Yet again, there was a point in the season where I was thinking it might have to be done. As mentioned, the cup performances. Then the strange changes, formations, tactics, then league performances etc. which led to the wheels on the bus hain a wee wobble.

I also wonder what would have happened if our two most experienced centre-backs didn't get injured. Would we still be keeping possession for far too long on the edge of our box? Would we be faird to try a few earlier long balls up the park forcing us to push on to second balls earlier? Would JG have changed formation slightly to accommodate this? We will never know, but it's working, as we saw in the Morton "away" game (back on topic sorry)

I'm no JG hater, I actually like him, and we should sit down and talk things over with him when all is done. Was it good management? Was it circumstances? I have no idea... Interesting times ahead.

I think it's a bit harsh to cite the recent centre half change as lucky. For sure injuries played a part but if he was stubborn surely he would have told the defenders coming in to keep playing the ball about as before if that's what he wanted?

He deserves stick when things go wrong but surely the opposite is true and he deserves credit when things go right?

This season there has been far more positives than negatives. We would have been out of sight had it not been for the doggedness of RR. It still boggles my mind that they haven't won any game by more than one goal all season. Mental.

I think it's a bit harsh to cite the recent centre half change as lucky. For sure injuries played a part but if he was stubborn surely he would have told the defenders coming in to keep playing the ball about as before if that's what he wanted?

He deserves stick when things go wrong but surely the opposite is true and he deserves credit when things go right?

This season there has been far more positives than negatives. We would have been out of sight had it not been for the doggedness of RR. It still boggles my mind that they haven't won any game by more than one goal all season. Mental.
    They actually beat Dunfermline 2-0 so that record finally ended

Ha ha, so they did. I think that may be it though? Crazy really.

Ye I totally agree. To say he stumbled upon a winning formula by chance is pish and I'm not getting the bottles the big games thing either because if you're a professional footballer or manager with any aspirations of getting out of a lower league and into the league above then EVERY game is a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Ye I totally agree. To say he stumbled upon a winning formula by chance is pish and I'm not getting the bottles the big games thing either because if you're a professional footballer or manager with any aspirations of getting out of a lower league and into the league above then EVERY game is a big one.
    OK,so how's his record been over the big games then? Pumped out of every cup as far as I recall. Look I totally get why there are two different camps on this subject but I firmly believe that if we stick with him we will be back down again this time next season. Of course I desperately want to be horribly wrong and if he proves me wrong I'd happily publicly apologise for my comments. Sadly I don't think that will be the case.

Add to the above that him seeing a player in Tillson actually scares me 🤔😲

Empty him after winning the league and gaining promotion? We shouldn't even be discussing that type of nonsense. 🤔
    Yeah, sounds a bit extreme Terry but not unprecedented, Funsters & Gary Bowyer last season.

However watching his reactions etc on Friday smacks of a man on his way. I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    OK,so how's his record been over the big games then? Pumped out of every cup as far as I recall. Look I totally get why there are two different camps on this subject but I firmly believe that if we stick with him we will be back down again this time next season. Of course I desperately want to be horribly wrong and if he proves me wrong I'd happily publicly apologise for my comments. Sadly I don't think that will be the case.
    I'm not in any camp and I've already said that I wouldn't shed a tear if he was to go but I wouldn't be bothered either if he was to stay.

The negatives for me are obviously the cup games,the pointless starting berths for the likes of Tilson and Greive and the needless fcking about with the team when he thought we needed to rest players when we had lots of games in quick succession.

Getting Docherty back up to full fitness after his injury lay off and his partnership with Sibbald is the main reason imo for our upturn in form lately and not solely down to the new centre half pairing as I believe that if Holt and Gallagher were still there we'd still have won the last 3 games comfortably.......and add to that the fact Watt is putting in a 3/4 shift instead of his usual 1/2 shift then everything has started to gel at the business end of the season.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)