+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- RIP Stan Bowles

O/T:- RIP Stan Bowles

Was there a thread started in relation to the death of Stan Bowles - apologies if I missed it.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 08-03-2024 at 11:39 AM.

He played against us a couple of times for QPR, once at Loftus Road in the FA Cup 1975 in which he had a penalty saved but then scored from the 2nd one they were awarded and one appearance at Meadow Lane in 1979, Masson scoring the only goal for Notts.
    Rumoured to have shot JR (of the TV soap "Dallas") whilst with Fword when he went AWOL.

Chris Nicholl (Villa/Southampton), Mel Blyth (Palace/Southampton/Millwall) and Paul Bradshaw (Wolves keeper) also died recently from that era.

Stan the Man RIP

Always a player that stuck in my head because I ended up with loads of Stan Bowles Panini stickers one season.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Always a player that stuck in my head because I ended up with loads of Stan Bowles Panini stickers one season.
    I'm so familiar with the 78 collection that I can see his sticker in my mind, he was overdoing the happy face a bit.
    I've got the re-print books that bring together all of the albums in two volumes, including the years after I'd stopped collecting them. It's a real shame Panini produced their worst set of stickers for that one season we were back in the top flight in 91/92, there's no badges, no managers and all of the players were action shots. They also dropped the 2nd tier for 1989 so we aren't in the 91 or 93 editions before Merlin took over.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    He played against us a couple of times for QPR, once at Loftus Road in the FA Cup 1975 in which he had a penalty saved but then scored from the 2nd one they were awarded and one appearance at Meadow Lane in 1979, Masson scoring the only goal for Notts.
    Rumoured to have shot JR (of the TV soap "Dallas") whilst with Fword when he went AWOL.

Chris Nicholl (Villa/Southampton), Mel Blyth (Palace/Southampton/Millwall) and Paul Bradshaw (Wolves keeper) also died recently from that era.
    Paul Bradshaw was in goal for Blackburn during my first-ever Notts game in 1977 - finished 0-0 and he played a blinder.

My main memory of Nicholl was him scoring all four goals in a 2-2 draw between Villa and Leicester in 1976. Amazingly, he wasn’t the first to do so (the previous time being in 1923).

Their seemed to be quite a few flair and entertaining players around then. Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, George Best and Charlie George to name just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Their seemed to be quite a few flair and entertaining players around then. Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, George Best and Charlie George to name just a few.
    Peter Osgood and Duncan McKenzie.

For some reason as a kid my Grandma bought me the QPR kit one Christmas, loved that kit although I never had any affinity with them as a team, even though Masson and Needham had played and were playing for them at the time. i always remember Stan being the stand out player for them though !

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    For some reason as a kid my Grandma bought me the QPR kit one Christmas!
    Did it have the QPR badge on it? I think they were the last team not to have a badge on their shirt at a time when everybody was switching over to kits with the manufacturers emblem. QPR were adidas so it was unusual for them not to have the club badge.
    Villa later had a hideous shirt that replaced the badge with AVFC lettering.

Without badge (late 70s)

With badge (1980)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast