+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donny

From an Alex Exile in Solihull. At the Morecambe game last weekend, Shilow and Charlie didn't offer enough 'presence' in midfield. At times I thought we were bullied. I didn't go today but the same players with Aaron added, there just can't have been enough force in midfield. Was good to see Tom back though. Josh is a class act and not surprised to hear that he was out best player today.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMJones View Post
    From an Alex Exile in Solihull. At the Morecambe game last weekend, Shilow and Charlie didn't offer enough 'presence' in midfield. At times I thought we were bullied. I didn't go today but the same players with Aaron added, there just can't have been enough force in midfield. Was good to see Tom back though. Josh is a class act and not surprised to hear that he was out best player today.
    Agree 100% with the above sentiment - playing Shilow, Charlie AND Aaron in the same team from the start just didn't feel right.

Looking forward to seeing Josh and Tabs playing alongside each other for the rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMJones View Post
    Tom?
    Yes, I agree generally. We are stuck on this idea on going 'around' the opposition. For that to be effective, both Tracey and Kirk need to be pushing on a lot more. Tracey looks like he no longer knows what to do when facing the fullback. Charlie rarely carries the ball forward, preferring to simply give-and-go every time. Charlie is also wasting the huge resource that is Rio bombing forward on the outside. Rio's surges when Kirk has the ball are a little reminiscent of Pixie. However, Kirk has ignored every one of these runs, preferring to stop any forward motion and playing a sideways pass infield instead. Also Billington is much more suited to this idea than Cooney.
    However, it really needs mixing up and the Alex need to reestablish a midfield presence. For too long, the main distributors of balls forward have actually been 2 CHs. The current two are actually quite good at this but shouldn't there also be some interplay between the midfielders to get the ball forward (not to mention playing the ball to the feet of strikers in the box!).
    With the return of Tabiner, I expect things to improve in this department. However, my footnote to this is, although I was as chuffed as the next fan to see Charlie return, I do wonder if his return has upset the balance and that workable formations are being sacrificed to fit him in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Tom?
    Yes, I agree generally. We are stuck on this idea on going 'around' the opposition. For that to be effective, both Tracey and Kirk need to be pushing on a lot more. Tracey looks like he no longer knows what to do when facing the fullback. Charlie rarely carries the ball forward, preferring to simply give-and-go every time. Charlie is also wasting the huge resource that is Rio bombing forward on the outside. Rio's surges when Kirk has the ball are a little reminiscent of Pixie. However, Kirk has ignored every one of these runs, preferring to stop any forward motion and playing a sideways pass infield instead. Also Billington is much more suited to this idea than Cooney.
    However, it really needs mixing up and the Alex need to reestablish a midfield presence. For too long, the main distributors of balls forward have actually been 2 CHs. The current two are actually quite good at this but shouldn't there also be some interplay between the midfielders to get the ball forward (not to mention playing the ball to the feet of strikers in the box!).
    With the return of Tabiner, I expect things to improve in this department. However, my footnote to this is, although I was as chuffed as the next fan to see Charlie return, I do wonder if his return has upset the balance and that workable formations are being sacrificed to fit him in the team.
    I am struggling to work out why we signed Kirky other than the fact he would have cost nowt. That said, he starts on the bench for me as he is offering very little, Shilo starts every match if fit because he occupies at least 2 every time he has the ball. He has pace and creates opportunities that, for example, Charlie doesn't. Rowe is decent but is not a winger and is not as good as Tracey but better than Kirky. Just my opinion and probably contrary to most. There seemed to be a lot of positivity surround the signong of CK but I felt it was somewhat misplaced. Not many come back to the club successfully!

We did great with the two strikers up front eg Stockport and had plenty of attacking play and then the management change that to playing the 20th team in the division in a defensive formation with hardly any attacking play.

That is the reason imv that coaching is a waste of space and money and is second rate at all levels of the game and do you know why?

Because the coaches/4 managers here don't play on the pitch on a Saturday and they brainwash the players in the week. In the old days, players were signed because they KNEW how to play this very simple game. Get the ball and run like hell towards goal....

Its annoying to think that we did do well up to now against expectation but then to throw that all away with 12 games left by allowing poorer teams to beat us is appalling. We had a great chance to stay in the top three and we blew it. You come up with the reasons why?

I hope I am wrong and we can re establish the form of Jan and Feb...We are playing like its last December..

Tactics, team choice, individual form and formation all contribute a lot from game to game. Can't blame coaching ALL the time for EVERYTHING. It is always a possibility that the opposition are coached as well!!

Tom?
    He's the one that played in goal ...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    We did great with the two strikers up front eg Stockport and had plenty of attacking play and then the management change that to playing the 20th team in the division in a defensive formation with hardly any attacking play.
    Agree with your view about playing two strikers ( have started a new thread )

Disagree about the defensive formation - it was more a case of imbalance (but playing CBR and Nev up front 'may' have helped) ...

... I think with hindsight LB wished he had made changes at HT. They effectively had 3 players with 'fresh legs' at the start of the second half.

A really good article in the ST discussing the differing tactics used by Pep and Klopp to win games, spec against each other. . It goes back to their time in Germany.
    But hey, that’s coaching!

Tactics, team choice, individual form and formation all contribute a lot from game to game. Can't blame coaching ALL the time for EVERYTHING. It is always a possibility that the opposition are coached as well!!
    Of course but there is no doubt the management team cost us 3 points last week by the subs they made and the tactics and formation yesterday cost us points again. Its probably better if the management team just stayed at home and let the players play the game. Coaches shouting from the touchline only distracts the players who are far better than the management team in playing football and so let them play. The problem with coaches is they are far too involved and they keep telling the players HOW to play the game and pass the ball sideways and backwards. If they told all the players to get up the pitch and run for goal is far more effective than ex players telling them stuff.

Some don't like tales of the old days but Spurs in the Sixties had ONE manager and the team had ONE tactic. When they had the ball, ALL the players moved up the pitch.together...It was called 'play and run'...We seem stuck in one position. I say again, sack all the coaches and spend money on decent players...What is the difference between Sheff United who were promoted last season to hardly winning a game this season? The coaches? The management? They may as well not been there. Its the same as always. They teams at the top have better players than the teams at the bottom and no manager or coaching can change that...

We should have beat Doncaster in 20th position easily yesterday and did we have better players or not than Doncaster? If so, why did we lose?

My theory is the same as Jimmy Greaves. Coaches destroy natural ability and why in the old days they were never needed. Players played the game without having any of them. Now they cost football, billions and they are mostly ex Pro's that were never than good anyway...

Look at the empty seats at Doncaster and Crewe and tell me football is successful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast