+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lascelles

Lascelles

Contract extension activated for another year.

Mixed feelings about this, tbh.

For where we want to go, he's not good enough...we know this. Worrying sign of our Summer business, too, in a way.

However, there were times when Botman was out when he was very good and, if we brought in another CB as 3rd choice, he'd be ok as 4th CB for another year.

He'll have been with us 10 years this year and part of me, at least, is ok with that.

Thoughts?

I'm ok with it.

He's been happy enough to be a leader in the dressing room, back Eddie up and sit on the bench knowing he can't match Botman or Schar. Yet, when he's come in, generally he's been decent - bar that one game where I ripped into him

It also means if clubs come for him in the summer, which I think they will, we have a better chance of a decent fee.

I personally don't read anything into this regarding our summer business either.

Actually, aye...that's a good point about us getting a fee for him if he went somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I'm ok with it.

He's been happy enough to be a leader in the dressing room, back Eddie up and sit on the bench knowing he can't match Botman or Schar. Yet, when he's come in, generally he's been decent - bar that one game where I ripped into him

It also means if clubs come for him in the summer, which I think they will, we have a better chance of a decent fee.

I personally don't read anything into this regarding our summer business either.
    I would tend to think that it means we are looking to concentrate on strengthening other areas. He has been mostly dependable as a back up but certainly not a starter.

I’m ok with it to be honest, he’s got a good attitude and in the main has performed well when asked to. I think the contract extension has been triggered by HIM, not sure if the club had any say in it?

How many better than him would be prepared to take a back seat? That’s before you look at his role behind the scenes.

Slower than an oil tanker dragging it's anchor.

If Dummett and Ritchie follow him in getting new deals we are going nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by MidsMagpie View Post
    If Dummett and Ritchie follow him in getting new deals we are going nowhere
    I'd be very surprised if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I'm ok with it.

Like wise!

It's clear that we are going to focus our transfer budget this summer on the forward positions. Jamal did a great job whilst botman was out.

Dummett & Ritchie et al won't be renewed.

getting rid of these 7 Hendrick - £50k/week
    Hayden - £35k/week
    Dummett - £35k/week
    Ritchie - £45k/week
    Karius - £10k/week
    = £175,000/week off the books

Sale of:
    Fraser - £70k/week
    Lewis - £50k/week
    = £120,000/week

none of these people are regular or even at the club. We'll get shot of the lot of them. Makes us much more vaiable as a business in terms of OPEX.

In any other business sector all these clowns would have been made redundant inside of the first quarter of the new ownership, however, football & the whole contracts business is filthy.

With the Adidas deal and the Sela money, plus any other new business partnerships brought in we can expect to see a salary pot of around £500k / week.

That's at a rough estimate of 'best case scenario' - Say we keep it to around £400k

we can go and get 5 top quality players on £80k/week

or

go after 3 absolutely worldies with an offer of £150k/week. it's the financial flexibility and option that we need to be able to progress the squad and the club

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)