+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More time?

We’re not going up this season, we’re not going down, so I would give him the next three away games and Salford at home to turn things around. If the performances are still dire, he has to go and give JOB the job until the end of the season. We then have time to get the right person in for pre-season, which is going to be huge given the deficiencies that are now glaringly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    The director of a small 8 person company is not the same as a director of a multi-national. I'm not saying Maynard doesn't have any coaching nous - it's my gut feeling he doesn't have the authority or personality to get the players invested in him. If you can't do that then you can't expect to compete.
    Yes, personality would have been the trump card to get the players onside and make up for the lack of credentials. That didn't happen - nowhere close.
    I think their main approach was ingratiation, blowing smoke up the players arses. That obviously didn't work, they'd have been better off pulling off some unorthodox Mad Dog moves

Our players had just beaten his team 9-1 on aggregate last season, is it any wonder their confidence fell through the floor at being lead by him?

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    I think that would undermine Maynard similar to the Sherwood / Williams situation. I'd offer Warnock the job until the end of the season with Maynard as his assistant. If Maynard isn't happy with that then I'd say goodbye and good luck.

I watched his reaction to the first goal and besides some cheerleading in the form of clapping there was nothing. My personal opinion is he's out of his depth and he knows he's out of his depth. The players don't respect him and they've gone from League 2 caviar to League 2 gruel in the form of coaching they're receiving.

The director of a small 8 person company is not the same as a director of a multi-national. I'm not saying Maynard doesn't have any coaching nous - it's my gut feeling he doesn't have the authority or personality to get the players invested in him. If you can't do that then you can't expect to compete.

Sunken cost fallacy is the only reason SM will remain in post. If someone thinks that the team is in better shape or more prepared for a promotion challenge under Maynard then I'd love to hear why. We are still a relatively big fish in a small pond and if that was my first 6 weeks in a role I'd be seriously worried.
    Good points Tommo , but I'd argue they reflect as badly on the players as the manager. And most especially on the non-captain who should be doing his bit behind the scenes. Or is he just sulking?

I think SM will be the manager for the forseable future, i dont think the owners will sack him,not even at the end of this, he is their "baby", they will stick with him.
    The attendence drop will have been anticipated, so they wont blink on that front, come the close season when NCFC are still in the EFL,just, thanks to points gained in 2023, the rebuild will begin, with SM still manager.

Agree he will be here for the rest of the season to "prove himself". But not sure after that....

Quote Originally Posted by M0ufMk3 View Post
    Good points Tommo , but I'd argue they reflect as badly on the players as the manager. And most especially on the non-captain who should be doing his bit behind the scenes. Or is he just sulking?
    He may be a captain but do you think he holds any sway over players who have done it time and again at a higher level? Even in this modern world dressing rooms are still ruthless - can you see Kyle or Stuart having the experience or gravitas to have authority in that environment?

Williams and Harley I can - Maynard and what's even his assistant's name? The fact I don't know speaks volumes - I've supported Notts since I was 6, I love Notts and not once have I not been able to tell you the assistant's name.

Maurice Ross was with us for about a month if that - I can tell you his name.

Looking for quality and value is definitely where we need to go - but if we want to see League 1 football any time soon we have to set our standards higher than "did pretty good at Wealdstone".

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Maybe Neil is on his way from Aberdeen! I know, I know, doesn't fit the owners' " philosophy" etc. But he couldn't do much worse could he?
    Neil would have positive ideas of what to do - and more importantly the players would highly respect him and give their all

I still think that he is out of his depth in this league. The crap defence isn't helping but after todays' match, I can't see another win. Tactics, what tactics? End of the season at the latest, he has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Personally I didn't see any of our players not playing for the manager today.
    Sure, they ran around.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    I still think that he is out of his depth in this league. The crap defence isn't helping but after todays' match, I can't see another win. Tactics, what tactics? End of the season at the latest, he has to go.
    He talked in his post match about how we’ve had a crap defence all season, deliberately ignoring the fact we were in the top 6 all season as well, at least until he showed up.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast