+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Notts County manager ever

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    All time managers PPG table (league and play offs only, does not include Caretakers)

2.50 Steve Cotterill
    2.07 Luke Williams
    2.00 David Kevan (2)
    1.98 Jimmy McMullan
    1.73 Ian Burchnall
    1.71 Jimmy Sirrel
    1.69 Keith Curle
    1.62 Jimmy Sirrel (4)
    1.53 Frank Broome
    1.53 Kevin Nolan
    1.52 Neil Warnock
    1.50 Sam Allardyce
    1.50 John Barnwell
    1.49 Neal Ardley
    1.47 Jocky Scott
    1.46 Frank Hill
    1.46 Ron Fenton
    1.46 Arthur Stollery
    1.45 Tim Coleman (2)
    1.43 Colin Murphy
    1.42 Eric Houghton
    1.42 Tim Coleman (3)
    1.42 Andy Beattie
    1.40 Mick Walker
    1.38 Percy Smith
    1.38 Albert Fisher
    1.36 Wilf Fisher
    1.34 Horace Henshall
    1.34 Jimmy Sirrel (2)
    1.33 Jack Wheeler
    1.30 Committee
    1.30 Martin Allen
    1.29 Hans Backe
    1.28 Steve Thompson
    1.27 Harry Parkes
    1.26 Jack Burkitt
    1.25 Gary Brazil
    1.24 Howard Wilkinson
    1.23 Craig Short
    1.23 George Poyser
    1.21 Ricardo Moniz
    1.21 Shaun Derry
    1.18 Harry Kewell
    1.17 Ian Richardson
    1.14 Howard Kendall
    1.13 Gudjon Thordarson
    1.13 Ian McParland
    1.13 Committee (2)
    1.12 Billy Dearden
    1.10 Billy Gray
    1.10 Mark Cooper
    1.08 Paul Ince
    1.03 Gary Mills
    1.00 Tommy Lawton
    1.00 Eddie Lowe
    0.97 Chris Kiwomya
    0.92 John Sheridan
    0.89 Larry Lloyd
    0.83 Jamie Fullarton
    0.83 Richie Barker
    0.72 Russell Slade
    0.57 Gary Brazil (2)
    0.50 Stuart Maynard
    0.41 Charlie Jones
    Wow. He’s keeping some special company there.

The bros have got this one wrong. When LW left we needed more of an impact manager to see the season through and galvanise the players whilst we spread the net out for someone to fit the philosophy long term. We needed some experience and charisma, instead we got a seemingly nice bloke who can probably coach but does not at all come over as much of a great leader and communicator.

He does speak sense in his interviews but they are so mundane and irritating that I can’t bear more than a few minutes. Imagine listening to it all week. Now we’re stuck, what do the owners do? We’ve a squad with players clearly not up to scratch, many with another year on their contracts, and a manager out of his depth.

The owners will probably not pull the trigger just yet but will be re-evaluating their decisions and searching for possible replacements if the next three to four games show no improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    Top of the real Division 1 for a few days with Larry Lloyd I doubt we will ever see that again so i would take him out the top worse managers list for that alone.
    Much as I disliked Larry Lloyd at the time, he did have a promotion with Wigan under his belt before he joined Notts. After that he became the obese bar owner and loudmouth radio pundit many will remember him as, but briefly he was an actual manager. He may have been OK in the lower leagues but he was not suitable for what was then a top flight club.

So for me, SM is lower than Lloyd. He is on a par with Fullarton for being the most illogical appointment ever. The others at least had some pedigree, Howard Kendall especially.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    Perhaps we should focus on recruitment.

In Stuart Maynard's post match interview he said "we're not equipped" , to deal with high balls and long throws. I.E. We don't have the right players for Division 2 defending. I think I, along with every other poster on this board we have been saying this all season. So maybe you can focus on the recruitment team, rather than prematurely trying to rate SM.

Currently, Managing Notts is like rock climbing in flip flops. There are going to be slip-ups.

Edit: Is this the smallest Notts County team - Ever?
    We've recruited plenty of good players, the latest being Scott Robertson, but you're still absolutely right.

We're very short (literally) of players who can dominate our own penalty box and lead a defensive line. If you have a Graeme Lee/Garry Strodder type of centre-half in the box yesterday then they take up the right position, win the key headers, and you don't concede either of those goals. Connell Rawlinson is the closest thing we've got in terms of physical stature, but I'm afraid that first goal yesterday endorsed the arguments of those saying he's simply not good enough for this level.

The second goal was another example of a team hitting the ball to the back stick to target the area often occupied by Aaron Nemane, who is tiny, not very good at heading, and should be nowhere near the six yard box in those situations. He's never going to win the ball, in fact the biggest risk is that he gets in the way of one of (few) bigger players who potentially could try to put in a meaningful challenge.
    Last edited by jackal2; 10-03-2024 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Gary Mills is the correct answer. The likes of Fullarton, Kewell and Kiwomya weren't in charge long enough but were all very bad as well.
    Managers who get the club relegated and then continue to fail at the lower level are a special kind of 'special' and do need singling out. Add Eddie Lowe to Lloyd and Mills. Also Ardley, for although he has a relatively high PPG, that was in tier 5 which also accounts for Burchnall's high placing.

Firstly, I’ve got to say looking at that list, have I really witnessed so much dross in my 50+ years watching Notts ! But I must say a lot of those managers were when Notts were at higher levels, so had much tougher challenges with the gulf in Notts budgets compared to the competition increasing with each higher division. The likes of Jimmy Sirrel and Neil Warnock actually managed Notts in the top tier (apologies to any of you out there under 40 who can only dream of that).

So I think for that list to be of true comparison and in context maybe it should only include performance at tiers 3&4 when Notts budgets were far closer to their opposition. Apart from our fake Munto season which should really disqualify Cotterill as top performer. And let’s not forget LW record was in the 5th tier when Notts had a higher budget than most and were playing a number of semi-pro teams. His average was 1.61 in Lg2.

As for SM, depends on whether he gets a chance to improve his position in the list. Can’t have been easy for him stepping up into the fickle fully professional football world and inheriting a squad who were showing signs of running out of steam under LW. I’m sure he’s doing his best and could do with his more senior experienced players stepping up rather than moping. I’m hoping for him, our owners and us all that he turns it round.

I thought it was a massive risk when Maynard was appointed.
    Done nothing of note in his career and it appears my suspicions were correct.
    Absolute rammel.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Managers who get the club relegated and then continue to fail at the lower level are a special kind of 'special' and do need singling out. Add Eddie Lowe to Lloyd and Mills. Also Ardley, for although he has a relatively high PPG, that was in tier 5 which also accounts for Burchnall's high placing.
    And Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysirrelsmassivetooth View Post
    I thought it was a massive risk when Maynard was appointed.
    Done nothing of note in his career and it appears my suspicions were correct.
    Absolute rammel.
    How many outstanding candidates were there out there? If Mike Williamson were still at Gateshead, he’s have been a shoo-in for the job (if he wanted it), and he’s now doing a great job at Franchise FC (alas). The guy at Crawley would have been my preferred choice, but may have been tough to get.

The way things are going, we may be having the same speculation about a new manager in a few months anyway.

I don’t think it matters now what happens. Even if we win the last 11 games, storm the playoffs and go up, the good will has gone and the first sign of problems would bring all the old arguments out again. Worst manager our not, I don’t see any future for SM at Notts, the fans won’t have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    I don’t think it matters now what happens. Even if we win the last 11 games, storm the playoffs and go up, the good will has gone and the first sign of problems would bring all the old arguments out again. Worst manager our not, I don’t see any future for SM at Notts, the fans won’t have it.
    Of course they’ll have it if that scenario happens. What you mean is, you’ve made up your mind, and you won’t have it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast