+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Team for next season

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    You muscle your way out of this league it's how we did it in 1998 and 2010, obviously you need a bit of quality as well but first you win the physical battles. We NEVER do this.
    Every successful side also needs a great goalkeeper (Ward in 98, Schmeichel in 2010). The balance of short, skillful players in the team needs to be right as well - I’d say at least half of our team aren’t cut out for the physical side of the game at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I'm sorry but that's far too level-headed and sensible for this forum.
    I’ve given myself a warning Swale.

I honestly don’t think the club will rip up its blue print for what they want us to look like. Talk of 14 new arrivals is futile. It’s highly unlikely to happen and we will have a fair number of players offered new deals and we will end up signing 5/6 new players. This forum has had a conversation about new arrivals each summer and winter window. The bros don’t do overhauls. Unless certain players want out I see a scenario where we build on what we have rather than rip down the whole house. Having Palmer, Scott and Baj available and hopefully firing will be like 3 new signings (assuming Scott and Baj re-sign).

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    We will need to sign lots of players though to simplify things as you are basically saying you want hoof ball.

We have a model and it wont always be right but having a plan is going to work better than flip flopping from passing style to hoof ball back to passing style...rinse & repeat.
    What I’m saying is if you are going to change 14 players ( as we seem to think we will need to do), you can’t adopt a complex playing style and expect instant results, which as a fan base we want (or so it would seem from the various threads on here). So, your options are; buy players to suit a simple style (hoofball basically) or you evolve over time. The latter is what the owners will want to do as it worked in the NL, but we face at least one season scrapping at the foot of the table if we do that, with resulting fall in attendance, loss of good will etc as has been mentioned elsewhere. I don’t see any good options here I’m afraid.

We will need to sign lots of players though to simplify things as you are basically saying you want hoof ball.

We have a model and it wont always be right but having a plan is going to work better than flip flopping from passing style to hoof ball back to passing style...rinse & repeat.
    I'm sorry I have to disagree. Warnock managed to mix the style up depending on the opposition. I simply do not get this hoof ball expression. Sometimes playing long and direct pays dividends. Continuing to play out from the back with the current personnel is just ludicrous. We need to mix it up and I don't mean tinkering with formation but same old style. We are weak, lack hunger, strength and are all too easily bullied off the ball.

Summed it up admirably MapperleyMagpie.

Quote Originally Posted by MapperleyMagpie View Post
    I'm sorry I have to disagree. Warnock managed to mix the style up depending on the opposition. I simply do not get this hoof ball expression. Sometimes playing long and direct pays dividends. Continuing to play out from the back with the current personnel is just ludicrous. We need to mix it up and I don't mean tinkering with formation but same old style. We are weak, lack hunger, strength and are all too easily bullied off the ball.
    Totally agree with this. Mapperley has summed it up to a tee.

Maccas' goal at Cheaterfield is an example of going long occasionally.

I’ll spell it out to you clearly then if we want to go direct we are going to need to buy players to fit that style too and lots of them.

We had this issue when we sacked Nolan a direct ball manager and replaced with footballing manager in Kewel although that was the reverse.

National League is also a physical league too it’s not like it’s full of 5ft 5in midgets it’s down to quality of players/manager its that simple

It’s ok fans having a list of players to get rid of let’s see how easy it is to move them when under contract not as easy as people think.

Also we have 3 players coming back from serious injuries although two are out of contract so could be released.

Langstaff and Jones not be here either.

Exactly this,

I'm glad we have a plan and set style rather than replacing the whole team every time we get a new manager/coach to suit their style. We're absolutely on the right track but we need defenders that can play that style, we don't currently have any. This needs addressing early before pre-season and no reason we can't do well next season. Did anyone really expect us to go straight through L2? We're a victim of our own early success that showed frailty in the first game at Sutton.

Who was the last team to come out of the NL and go straight through L2 to L1 in a season??

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Exactly this,

I'm glad we have a plan and set style rather than replacing the whole team every time we get a new manager/coach to suit their style. We're absolutely on the right track but we need defenders that can play that style, we don't currently have any. This needs addressing early before pre-season and no reason we can't do well next season. Did anyone really expect us to go straight through L2? We're a victim of our own early success that showed frailty in the first game at Sutton.

Who was the last team to come out of the NL and go straight through L2 to L1 in a season??
    Bristol Rovers last did it in 2016.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast