+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Old Rawmarsh Welfare Ground.

The Old Rawmarsh Welfare Ground.

It’s a brilliant pitch never floods, it was know has the Hill 60 ground. Earl Grey, Horse & Jockey pub teams used to play there. It’s now never used it belongs to RMBC give them a ring T/S it would make a great training ground complex.Stop pumping money into the Roundwood site it’s crap.

A nice thought but unfortunately nowhere near big enough Lol. I doubt they could get two pitches on there, let alone the 4 they probably really need as a minimum. In addition the access down Peashill Street is just as bad as the Green Lane access into Roundwood. On the plus side, Brian Sawyer lives (or used to about 50 years ago) at the bottom of the slope on the East side of the land so he could always boot the balls back if they ended up in his garden

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    It’s a brilliant pitch never floods, it was know has the Hill 60 ground. Earl Grey, Horse & Jockey pub teams used to play there. It’s now never used it belongs to RMBC give them a ring T/S it would make a great training ground complex.Stop pumping money into the Roundwood site it’s crap.
    I played on it for the Tanic. More land than you think.

The proposal in itself i.e. for the Millers to have to find a new training facility isn’t necessary. R U Estates bought land in Tinsley to be exactly that if memory serves.
    A £2m investment in a proper set up probably wouldn’t be enough but it would be on the land owned by TS and he would get a return on it when he sells.

To sell the club better I believe that we’d attract more players if they didn’t have to drive through Rotherham to get to a second rate training ground. That was the thinking when the land was purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I played on it for the Tanic. More land than you think.
    Who was in your team frog.

Can’t remember frog playing there but can remember Jimmy Clarkson, Frank Morley, ? Sanderson , Kenny Warren etc playing there !

They probably sank without trace

If you look on Google Maps/Earth you can see pretty easily the Roundwood pitches and Welfare space in the same view and unfortunately there's no way it's big enough for 2 pitches let alone 3 or 4 plus all the indoor stuff they'd need.

I was only a young lad of 17 - 18. I remember the name South as a centre back. And by face I know some of them.

Think you'd get maybe 1 pitch on it.

Nowhere near as big as Roundwood and you'd not get a car park, admin office, surgery, youth facilities etc on it.