+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The manager is a loser

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I think everyone at the club got a bit high on their own supply after last season, and they started to think this running a football club lark was a bit easy.
    First 2 appointments both left for 2 leagues higher - so hubris for sure.

This one though took no account of our newfound EFL status, upward momentum, 11-12K crowds. Ambitious players wanting to shake off non-league and push their careers upwards. They don't need bosses whose career highmarks were the likes of Whitehawk and Aylesbury. And that's not snobbery. Pro football is a very hierarchical, status-driven, ultra-competitive world. Qualifications and credibility matter.

It's a screw up. A massive black mark against Montague probably.

You think he needs more tme .FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    How many on here want him to be given more time .Those people who do are stupid.
    Fair play to Maynard - that’s some achievement!! turning a play off chasing squad into the worst team in the division (by miles) with just a few defensive tweaks - not many coaches have made that seismic a change in such a short space of time in the history of the game 😔😢

I still think he will be given quite a bit more time unfortunately but it would be a better idea to give it to Jim until the end of the season right now and politely ask him to call his old boss at BT. And definitely do not move house!

This talk about end of season etc JUST SACK HIM

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    This talk about end of season etc JUST SACK HIM
    I just think it would be easier for everyone to try and get to the end of the season and then assess things properly. If we sack him tonight or tomorrow someone would have to be put in charge for Saturday (almost certainly Jim O Brien) and we need O Brien on the field playing. In th summer there may well be some managers available who aren't now. I really can't see how Maynard can continue next season though and Montague needs to go as well.

Players don’t want him..no respect in the dressing room from day one.

This is fact not an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I think everyone at the club got a bit high on their own supply after last season, and they started to think this running a football club lark was a bit easy.
    A bit reminiscent of Trew/Cotterill. Dead easy this ownership lark, even Poundpie could have a go at it!

The problems that are coming home to roost were there last season. As exciting as the play-offs were we were lucky. We couldn't even beat York despite playing "Man City" style footy. We got away with the defensive frailties courtesy of our attack which was way beyond NL level. LW influence and the belief the players had in him carried us. He was a charismatic leader and I recall commenting at the time of his appointment that "he had something of the Peps about him".

SM has nothing other than he'd got the phrases. I can imagine it being a big let down for the players and for all the stats the Bros might have seen he is not the right person to follow on. I don't even think he would have got us out of the NL if he'd been appointed instead of LW. Yet to see anything to be inspired by, a bit like Ardley without the experience.

Hope the Bros see this as a big learning curve in applying their model and seeing that stats aren't the be all and end all.

What a waste of an opportunity for at least some excitement for the season and shows how far behind Wrexham we really are.

To be honest, there's no one to feel sorry for this apart from the fans.

The Board - no - they chose a manager who had no kudos or experience at a full-time level or outside of the the National League.

Stuart Maynard and his team - no - you sometimes have to look at yourself and be honest and think am I up to this.

The players - no - are they not professional? Surely they would have rallied around and thought lets do our best for the club. However, I don't believe outside of football, they would have had much of a career.

Where will it end? Only the Board knows. Maynard might suddenly click and this all becomes just a bad dream, but my fear is that winning becomes a habit and so does losing. We are now in the losing habit.

Drastic changes need to happen to address the situation and they would be:

1 . Changing those players not doing as they are asked. Not wholly possible as the transfer window is over.
    2. Changing the management team. Not a 100% certainty as the Board will look like chumps.
    3. Stuart Maynard pulling something out of the hat and getting some momentum going at the club.

I don't fancy any of the above happening and so we are in for a slow, painful end to this season.

Imagine the poor sods who bought half season tickets in December looking forward to the second half of this season.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast