+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay or go?

Unfortunately go is the only correct answer now. I really wanted it to work out for SM, he seems like a lovely and likeable bloke, and a success story of a part-time and non league manager, who also supplements his income as a BT engineer, becoming a successful and established coach in the EFL would've been a great and inspirational story for many looking to get into coaching, including myself.

But the facts are that it simply is not and will not work out. The best thing would be for SM to go and salvage what's left of his reputation, while hopefully simultaneously allowing Notts to get out of the rot we're currently set in, hopefully stay up and improve on it next season.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    Unfortunately go is the only correct answer now. I really wanted it to work out for SM, he seems like a lovely and likeable bloke, and a success story of a part-time and non league manager, who also supplements his income as a BT engineer, becoming a successful and established coach in the EFL would've been a great and inspirational story for many looking to get into coaching, including myself.

But the facts are that it simply is not and will not work out. The best thing would be for SM to go and salvage what's left of his reputation, while hopefully simultaneously allowing Notts to get out of the rot we're currently set in, hopefully stay up and improve on it next season.
    Mate of mines just texted me with “press conference at 1.30pm”

Wealdstone fan here.

Maynard did a smashing job for us. On paper we should of been relegated back to the NLS ages ago but under him we punched well above out weight.

His results for us weren't great early doors but he adapted and learned. Plus a lot of those bad results were in the covid season (which everyone seems to write off!).

However, I was a bit surprised by County's approach for him. You had the likes of Ainsworth and Warnock in the frame who both have extensive FL experience.

Any reason why you didn't approach a candidate with similar caliber to the above?

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    Mate of mines just texted me with “press conference at 1.30pm”
    Sackings or resignations don't get announced at press conferences usually though. If there's is going to be one, I can imagine it'll be the old vote of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by 08masonl View Post
    Wealdstone fan here.

Maynard did a smashing job for us. On paper we should of been relegated back to the NLS ages ago but under him we punched well above out weight.

His results for us weren't great early doors but he adapted and learned. Plus a lot of those bad results were in the covid season (which everyone seems to write off!).

However, I was a bit surprised by County's approach for him. You had the likes of Ainsworth and Warnock in the frame who both have extensive FL experience.

Any reason why you didn't approach a candidate with similar caliber to the above?
    Our owners want to play a certain system and have a certain amount of control over recruitment. I can imagine they thought Stuart was the most suitable yes man they could find.

Sackings or resignations don't get announced at press conferences usually though. If there's is going to be one, I can imagine it'll be the old vote of confidence.
    You don't get Press Conferences for that normally. Why would you wait until 1.30 for that. Normally just a press release. Maybe RM has gone & been replaced

Quote Originally Posted by 08masonl View Post
    Our owners have a model of identifying potential with fringe players and bring them on (cheap). They obviously applied that to SM, potential and cheap (no disrespect to him at all). At the moment our recruiting model is of a wheelbarrow but it's wheel has fell off!

Our owners want to play a certain system and have a certain amount of control over recruitment. I can imagine they thought Stuart was the most suitable yes man they could find.
    Money might also be a factor.
    Logically, a part time non-league manager would accept a lower wage package than one with experience in the EFL.

He needs to go now before the damage with our top players is irreparable
    I'd give it to JOB for the rest of the season and ask Warnock to come for the remaining season as an advisor/assistant
    JOB has the respect of the players and knows the style we're a custom too and warnock could offer advise on defending work rate

When Ardley was sacked, I was aware of a press conference and media day about 3 days in advance. At the time, I thought it was a new signing but then Ardley was sacked and Burchnall was announced the day after (at the planned press conference).

Ardley had been with us for nearly 3 years, helped the club link with the fans through COVID and stuck with us to rebuild through dire financial times (I won't go into on field things but off the field, he had a lot of credit!) so splitting the days out made sense out of respect for him really.

With Maynard, not sure he has that in the bank so maybe they'll replace him on the same day as his sacking, also Ardley was removed by Jason Turner who by all accounts was an utter gentleman so perhaps the operating procedure might also change from Ardley's dismissal

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast