+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay or go?

The whole club needs the immediate pressure valve release of his departure.

If the owners are thinking 10 games (so one more, and nobody can say 'not even 10 games') then that could lead to a farce at Accrington. Short of players kicking into their own net, we'd be guaranteed to lose badly. It's not worth waiting, release this terrible pressure now.

I was watching the players walk off v Wimbledon. What struck me was SM trying to talk to JOB and Rawlo (separately) and they wouldn't even look at him, and almost seem to wave him away. For sure, he would've been trying to win over the senior pros. Maybe that didn't even work, let alone the younger ones who really loved LW - Maca, Crowley, AN, KC etc

One final thought, Maynard might've been a lot better off coming on his own and leaving the other coaches behind. He might have won more respect that way.....maybe the 3 of them smacked more of a takeover and put the players' guards up. Dunno, kind of a hunch or just wild speculation. But looking at SM's wiki he's barely ever been more than 10 miles from his home town, so no surprise he had to bring his mates with him. Far from the lone gun-slinger that is Neil Warnock, who rolls into places as far apart as Plymouth, Aberdeen, Teeside, South Wales, deepest sarf London like he owns the place. A confident guy like that has no problem winning respect.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 13-03-2024 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    The whole club needs the immediate pressure valve release of his departure.

If the owners are thinking 10 games (so one more, and nobody can say 'not even 10 games') then that could lead to a farce at Accrington. Short of players kicking into their own net, we'd be guaranteed to lose badly. It's not worth waiting, release this terrible pressure now.

I was watching the players walk off v Wimbledon. What struck me was SM trying to talk to JOB and Rawlo (separately) and they wouldn't even look at him, and almost seem to wave him away. For sure, he would've been trying to win over the senior pros. Maybe that didn't even work, let alone the younger ones who really loved LW - Maca, Crowley, AN, KC etc

One final thought, Maynard might've been a lot better off coming on his own and leaving the other coaches behind. He might have won more respect that way.....maybe the 3 of them smacked more of a takeover and put the players' guards up. Dunno, kind of a hunch or just wild speculation. But looking at SM's wiki he's barely ever been more than 10 miles from his own town, so no surprise he had to bring his mates with him. Far from the lone gun-slinging that is Neil Warnock, who roles into places as far apart as Plymouth, Aberdeen, Teeside, South Wales, deepest sarf London like he owns the place. A confident guy like that has no problem winning respect.
    He couldn’t leave where he lived as he had a job there? He was only going to leave the area for a full time job as anyone would. It’s normal to bring in backroom staff too tbf.
    Wether he’s good enough or not I would be extremely disappointed in some of the players if they were looking down on him just because he’s come from part time as we have at least 6 or 7 players that have played below the NL so they should appreciate the challenges of working up the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    He couldn’t leave where he lived as he had a job there? He was only going to leave the area for a full time job as anyone would. It’s normal to bring in backroom staff too tbf.
    Wether he’s good enough or not I would be extremely disappointed in some of the players if they were looking down on him just because he’s come from part time as we have at least 6 or 7 players that have played below the NL so they should appreciate the challenges of working up the leagues.
    Fair points. I've got a players post lined up in my head, but first things first eh?

It's not about looking down it's about your own self value. If I was a carpenter and my new boss came in and had only dabbled in DIY, I'd have to question how I am valued by my company. LW had experience coaching in the championship, and even then it took a while for the team to buy in to what he was selling. I'd say it came alive at the Chesterfield 2-2 draw at home, before then, we weren't firing in all cylinders. If it hasn't happened by now for Maynard, it never will

I can't agree with sacking him with nobody lined up. JOB may one day be the kind of fantastic head coach who could turn this mess around, but it's not remotely fair to lump that on him right now with next to no experience.

If the owners have a replacement ready, fine, otherwise they... should definitely be out looking at this point, even as an insurance policy. I would still give him one more game just on general principle, but it sure isn't looking like it's working right now.

He may still turn it all around, but what sign do we have suggesting that's what is going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    Mate of mines just texted me with “press conference at 1.30pm”
    Utter bo ll ox im afraid

It's as always impossible to know what's going on behind the closed doors of the club but it's clear something has gone seriously wrong. I can see why they'd fire him now though. We've been close to picking up points and surely we've got to fluke our way to at least one more win this season... and honestly I still don't understand how we fell so far from the performance at Newport.

If we fall into that relegation places(!) maybe their hand would be forced but I can't believe they wouldn't feel better trying to build again from the close season. They are, I think, pretty conservative owners. Maybe if home crowds tank?

I also want to add: Replacing SM will not resolve all of our problems. I am sure nobody's suggesting that... well, reasonably sure.

If the best manager in the world took over tomorrow, we still have a wildly ineffective defence. We need to address all of the issues before this crap will turn around properly.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall55 View Post
    Utter bo ll ox im afraid
    Everyone know that Press Conferences happen at 2!

I think any talk about JOB coming in long term is very premature, we have no idea how he’s going to pan out as a coach/manager and I agree he’s needed on the pitch. He seemed quite overwhelmed with it after LW left and he doesn’t need that again going into the current situation and having to play too.
    This ⬆️

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast