+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A hopeful, positive perspective on the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Teams to play to get 6 points....

Remaining fixtures and current positions.

Accrington (A) 15th
    Bradford (A) 13th
    Salford (H) 20th
    Swindon (A) 18th
    MK Dons (H) 5th
    Harrogate (H) 14th
    Walsall (A) 8th
    Stockport (H) 3rd
    Colchester (H) 23rd
    Forest Green (A) 22nd

If we can't pick up at the very least 6 points from that lot we deserve to go down!!!

However I don't think Maynard will be with us in the summer as he's showing no signs of progress. This is the first time he's been in the football league as a player or a coach and it shows.
    Last two games could be another "great escape" especially if we don't win against Salford. Can't see (m)any points from the other fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Teams to play to get 6 points....

Remaining fixtures and current positions.

Accrington (A) 15th
    Bradford (A) 13th
    Salford (H) 20th
    Swindon (A) 18th
    MK Dons (H) 5th
    Harrogate (H) 14th
    Walsall (A) 8th
    Stockport (H) 3rd
    Colchester (H) 23rd
    Forest Green (A) 22nd

If we can't pick up at the very least 6 points from that lot we deserve to go down!!!

However I don't think Maynard will be with us in the summer as he's showing no signs of progress. This is the first time he's been in the football league as a player or a coach and it shows.
    Course we'll get more than 6 points off that lot but it ain't pretty and frankly I really cannot see how Maynard will be here next season. I fully expect him to go the day after our final fixture.

Both FGR and Colchester still have to play all of the top 4, FGR have the top 5 which leaves them with only 4 games left against sides not in the promotion spots. It would be incredible if either of these two overtook us now.
    We don't have to worry about Sutton.

22nd FOREST GREEN 33pts
    Sat.16.Mar SUTTON UTD (24th)
    Sat.23.Mar doncaster rov (19th)
    Fri.29.Mar STOCKPORT CO (3rd)
    Mon.01.Apr crewe alex. (4th)
    Sat.06.Apr MILTON KEYNES (5th)
    Tue.09.Apr mansfield t. (1st)
    Sat.13.Apr wrexham (2nd)
    Sat.20.Apr morecambe (11th)
    Sat.27.Apr NOTTS COUNTY (17th)

Average position of opponents: 10th
    Maximum points: 60

23rd COLCHESTER U. 32pts
    Sat.16.Mar WALSALL (8th)
    Sat.23.Mar mansfield t. (1st)
    Fri.29.Mar NEWPORT CO. (12th)
    Mon.01.Apr tranmere rov (16th)
    Sat.06.Apr WREXHAM (2nd)
    Tue.09.Apr STOCKPORT CO (3rd)
    Sat.13.Apr crawley town (9th)
    Tue.16.Apr GRIMSBY TOWN (21st)
    Sat.20.Apr notts county (17th)
    Sat.27.Apr CREWE ALEX. (4th)
    TBA DONCASTER ROV (19th)

Maximum points: 65

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Both FGR and Colchester still have to play all of the top 4, FGR have the top 5 which leaves them with only 4 games left against sides not in the promotion spots. It would be incredible if either of these two overtook us now.
    We don't have to worry about Sutton.

22nd FOREST GREEN 33pts
    Sat.16.Mar SUTTON UTD (24th)
    Sat.23.Mar doncaster rov (19th)
    Fri.29.Mar STOCKPORT CO (3rd)
    Mon.01.Apr crewe alex. (4th)
    Sat.06.Apr MILTON KEYNES (5th)
    Tue.09.Apr mansfield t. (1st)
    Sat.13.Apr wrexham (2nd)
    Sat.20.Apr morecambe (11th)
    Sat.27.Apr NOTTS COUNTY (17th)

Maximum points: 60

23rd COLCHESTER U. 32pts
    Sat.16.Mar WALSALL (8th)
    Sat.23.Mar mansfield t. (1st)
    Fri.29.Mar NEWPORT CO. (12th)
    Mon.01.Apr tranmere rov (16th)
    Sat.06.Apr WREXHAM (2nd)
    Tue.09.Apr STOCKPORT CO (3rd)
    Sat.13.Apr crawley town (9th)
    Tue.16.Apr GRIMSBY TOWN (21st)
    Sat.20.Apr notts county (17th)
    Sat.27.Apr CREWE ALEX. (4th)
    TBA DONCASTER ROV (19th)

Maximum points: 65
    They both have some hard fixtures in there, Mansfield, Wrexham & Stockport. I think we'll be safe but we are Notts County and absolutely ANYTHING can happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Agree with all that, apart from thinking Maynard has any chance of getting six points.
    Oh, I don't know... we've got four from the last twenty-seven so with thirty to play for we're very nearly on track for another six points already.

Yes, this is an issue but I would have thought the Brothers will be sitting down with 'The Recruitment Team' and just like my dad said /did to me when I accidentally set fire to his bike when I was 8 years old and then walked nonchalantly in to the house on the Dale asking 'crikey, what happened there Dad?'...he gave me the biggest good hiding imaginable and said if I ever did anything like that ever again, it would be the last thing I ever did.
    It worked. I never did.
    And I'm sure they will improve...they have done good work as well as bad and simply must do better if and when we secure our L2 status. And the sooner the better!.

This was in response to the ' Can we trust the recruitment team post's. Cheers. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by glasgowdave View Post
    I've either watched or listened to most Notts games this season and I have always believed avoiding relegation is the most important thing for us this year.
    And this is by no means yet certain. Two wins will do it, and even just 4 more points but it us gard to see where they may come from.
    But, let us assume they will for this argument.
    The positive spin I have is this:
    1. I think the owners thought the squad would be good enough for League 2, and renewed some surprising contracts. New recruitment was not helped by tge delay caused by our play off success. Which league will we be in?
    2. Had we continued to do well this season and either just missed out on promotion in the play offs or, even worse, got promoted, then there may still have been a view that the squad was good enough.
    It clearly isn't and is still basically a very good NL squad.
    3. The worst thing that can happen( other than being relegated of course) is to be promoted and fail dismally in the League above...loads of examples this season alone (Sheffield, Burnley, Carlisle etc). This really does inhibit sustained progress.
    4.Knowing that we will be playing in League 2 next season will give the recruitment team plenty of time to identify and secure the correct targets and make sure we have an improved and more balanced squad. Whether we retain our main assets or not is a moot point. Good recruitment must take this in to account.
    5. We must therefore secure the 4/6 points we need and then work hard on a recruitment plan to get us out of L2. This is a better prospect than punching above our current weight and thinking we might be in L1.
    6. The owners are smart guys and will know the importance of all this and must be delighted with the fantadthome attendances and the improved income stream. Surely, we are better off financially than last year?
    7. I am obviously deeply concerned about the management team and wonder if this gamble is a big mistake, but provided we get the 2 wins( big assumption I know) then the rest of this season's results will answer that question.

So, in some ways I am of a view that this dreadful slump is for the best in many ways. We need to keep faith with the owners, support the lads and get the 2 wins and then recruit well and hard for a sustainable attempt to get in to L1.
    Easier said than done of course.
    Cheers.
    David
    COUPs.
    A sensible post. Its difficult not to have sympathy for Maynard. He is out of his depth and I suspect hes been caught somewhat offguard with the weak mentality in the Notts squad. However, he seems unable to alter the slump which did start under LW.
    Radar must ask some serious questions of themselves.
    You are right that going up would have only magnified the problems but I for one never saw that as a realistic possibility given our defensive inadequacies.
    My biggest concern is how quickly the fickle/new/occassional fan will disappear and how that might impact revenue.
    I admit Im not keen on fair weather supporters, they can f*** off to whence they came, but it impacts on our ability to be competitive next season.
    It appears to go against their DNA, but they must sever Maynards contract at season end.
    As you say though, time to get behind the players and show what real supporters behave like. Ill be at Accrington and Bradford cheering them on as alwsys
    Then probably back on here afterwards moaning like f*** again!!!😁😁😁COYP

Quote Originally Posted by glasgowdave View Post
    I've either watched or listened to most Notts games this season and I have always believed avoiding relegation is the most important thing for us this year.
    And this is by no means yet certain. Two wins will do it, and even just 4 more points but it us gard to see where they may come from.
    But, let us assume they will for this argument.
    The positive spin I have is this:
    1. I think the owners thought the squad would be good enough for League 2, and renewed some surprising contracts. New recruitment was not helped by tge delay caused by our play off success. Which league will we be in?
    2. Had we continued to do well this season and either just missed out on promotion in the play offs or, even worse, got promoted, then there may still have been a view that the squad was good enough.
    It clearly isn't and is still basically a very good NL squad.
    3. The worst thing that can happen( other than being relegated of course) is to be promoted and fail dismally in the League above...loads of examples this season alone (Sheffield, Burnley, Carlisle etc). This really does inhibit sustained progress.
    4.Knowing that we will be playing in League 2 next season will give the recruitment team plenty of time to identify and secure the correct targets and make sure we have an improved and more balanced squad. Whether we retain our main assets or not is a moot point. Good recruitment must take this in to account.
    5. We must therefore secure the 4/6 points we need and then work hard on a recruitment plan to get us out of L2. This is a better prospect than punching above our current weight and thinking we might be in L1.
    6. The owners are smart guys and will know the importance of all this and must be delighted with the fantadthome attendances and the improved income stream. Surely, we are better off financially than last year?
    7. I am obviously deeply concerned about the management team and wonder if this gamble is a big mistake, but provided we get the 2 wins( big assumption I know) then the rest of this season's results will answer that question.

So, in some ways I am of a view that this dreadful slump is for the best in many ways. We need to keep faith with the owners, support the lads and get the 2 wins and then recruit well and hard for a sustainable attempt to get in to L1.
    Easier said than done of course.
    Cheers.
    David
    COUPs.

Some sensible points. This season I have taken the illogical approach of wanting to win every game but avoid promotion because we simply aren't ready. It was clear (even to me) at the end of last season that we had too many players who weren't good enough for L2 and others who were after their best before date, and the injury to Palmer was unfortunate whatever the opposite of icing on the cake is, meaning that JB had to play deeper than I/we would like where his default inclination is to faff about rather than hurt the opposition.

re point 5, are we sure that the recruitment team doesn't have a plan to get us out of L2? Some of this season's acquisitions seem to have set us up for a tilt at relegation

It beggars belief that the discussion is about relegation, but then again we are talking about NCFC. The good times sure evaporated in a hurry, and we’re back to the usual shambles.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast