+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A hopeful, positive perspective on the current situation.

A hopeful, positive perspective on the current situation.

I've either watched or listened to most Notts games this season and I have always believed avoiding relegation is the most important thing for us this year.
    And this is by no means yet certain. Two wins will do it, and even just 4 more points but it us gard to see where they may come from.
    But, let us assume they will for this argument.
    The positive spin I have is this:
    1. I think the owners thought the squad would be good enough for League 2, and renewed some surprising contracts. New recruitment was not helped by tge delay caused by our play off success. Which league will we be in?
    2. Had we continued to do well this season and either just missed out on promotion in the play offs or, even worse, got promoted, then there may still have been a view that the squad was good enough.
    It clearly isn't and is still basically a very good NL squad.
    3. The worst thing that can happen( other than being relegated of course) is to be promoted and fail dismally in the League above...loads of examples this season alone (Sheffield, Burnley, Carlisle etc). This really does inhibit sustained progress.
    4.Knowing that we will be playing in League 2 next season will give the recruitment team plenty of time to identify and secure the correct targets and make sure we have an improved and more balanced squad. Whether we retain our main assets or not is a moot point. Good recruitment must take this in to account.
    5. We must therefore secure the 4/6 points we need and then work hard on a recruitment plan to get us out of L2. This is a better prospect than punching above our current weight and thinking we might be in L1.
    6. The owners are smart guys and will know the importance of all this and must be delighted with the fantadthome attendances and the improved income stream. Surely, we are better off financially than last year?
    7. I am obviously deeply concerned about the management team and wonder if this gamble is a big mistake, but provided we get the 2 wins( big assumption I know) then the rest of this season's results will answer that question.

So, in some ways I am of a view that this dreadful slump is for the best in many ways. We need to keep faith with the owners, support the lads and get the 2 wins and then recruit well and hard for a sustainable attempt to get in to L1.
    Easier said than done of course.
    Cheers.
    David
    COUPs.

Agree with all that, apart from thinking Maynard has any chance of getting six points.

Quote Originally Posted by glasgowdave View Post
    I've either watched or listened to most Notts games this season and I have always believed avoiding relegation is the most important thing for us this year.
    And this is by no means yet certain. Two wins will do it, and even just 4 more points but it us gard to see where they may come from.
    But, let us assume they will for this argument.
    The positive spin I have is this:
    1. I think the owners thought the squad would be good enough for League 2, and renewed some surprising contracts. New recruitment was not helped by tge delay caused by our play off success. Which league will we be in?
    2. Had we continued to do well this season and either just missed out on promotion in the play offs or, even worse, got promoted, then there may still have been a view that the squad was good enough.
    It clearly isn't and is still basically a very good NL squad.
    3. The worst thing that can happen( other than being relegated of course) is to be promoted and fail dismally in the League above...loads of examples this season alone (Sheffield, Burnley, Carlisle etc). This really does inhibit sustained progress.
    4.Knowing that we will be playing in League 2 next season will give the recruitment team plenty of time to identify and secure the correct targets and make sure we have an improved and more balanced squad. Whether we retain our main assets or not is a moot point. Good recruitment must take this in to account.
    5. We must therefore secure the 4/6 points we need and then work hard on a recruitment plan to get us out of L2. This is a better prospect than punching above our current weight and thinking we might be in L1.
    6. The owners are smart guys and will know the importance of all this and must be delighted with the fantadthome attendances and the improved income stream. Surely, we are better off financially than last year?
    7. I am obviously deeply concerned about the management team and wonder if this gamble is a big mistake, but provided we get the 2 wins( big assumption I know) then the rest of this season's results will answer that question.

So, in some ways I am of a view that this dreadful slump is for the best in many ways. We need to keep faith with the owners, support the lads and get the 2 wins and then recruit well and hard for a sustainable attempt to get in to L1.
    Easier said than done of course.
    Cheers.
    David
    COUPs.
    I think my biggest concern with our situation going forward regardless of who is manager is the recruitment side, there is nothing to say that will change, until that situation is addressed I have no confidence in the seasons ahead. Apart from a handful, the rest have been 'lucky dips' Jatta being the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I think my biggest concern with our situation going forward regardless of who is manager is the recruitment side, there is nothing to say that will change, until that situation is addressed I have no confidence in the seasons ahead. Apart from a handful, the rest have been 'lucky dips' Jatta being the latest.
    The recruitment team? Do you really trust them? ****ed up on the latest Coach, contracts that were handed out in the Summer, players signed. What other club would signs 2 crocks & pay a fee for one? Defence never been sorted from day of being here. Yes there has been a couple of good signings but the law of averages says you have to get some right

Agree with all that, apart from thinking Maynard has any chance of getting six points.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    So good he posted it twice !..

Would like to think our owners have a better knowledge of league football than believe that this team was capable of gaining promotion again ( isn’t this how they make their money) and personally I have my doubts about Maynards ability to turn this around as this group of players have no leader on or off the pitch in my humble opinion and no idea how to react to situations during the games but it’s easy for me to say that as a fan.

The only issue is assuming we will be playing League 2 next season. We still need the points but nobody has any idea where they are going to come from.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    So good he posted it twice !..
    Will that make it twelve points?

Teams to play to get 6 points....

Remaining fixtures and current positions.

Accrington (A) 15th
    Bradford (A) 13th
    Salford (H) 20th
    Swindon (A) 18th
    MK Dons (H) 5th
    Harrogate (H) 14th
    Walsall (A) 8th
    Stockport (H) 3rd
    Colchester (H) 23rd
    Forest Green (A) 22nd

If we can't pick up at the very least 6 points from that lot we deserve to go down!!!

However I don't think Maynard will be with us in the summer as he's showing no signs of progress. This is the first time he's been in the football league as a player or a coach and it shows.
    Last edited by OP67; 13-03-2024 at 02:07 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast