+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's over

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post
    Never saw it as a rivalry really. It'll be interesting to see how long Parkinson gets when they aren't challenging for promoting.

I was watching the Crawley match with Crawley commentators on. They were reading out messages from fans with one guy mentioned as he was watching the match in Chicago with his American friends who remembered Notts from the Wrexham documentary and that they still hated us.

I thought that was weird, especially with the narrative the documentary gave us as worthy opponents to the NL.
    I was watching that. I got very tired of the commentators incorrect pronunciation of Nemane then apparently corrected by another Notts fan with another incorrect pronunciation and then corrected by the Notts Stadium announcer with the correct pronunciation. It was just like being back in the National League. Will never forget some of the commentaries in the COVID season. People trying their best on feeds that resembled a 56k modem link up to keep stuff going just so they could get out of the house and go to the game. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Pumped in far more cash than we have, simple as that. So been able to bring in L1/Championship players on daft wages for L2.

By the way Wrexham are far from promoted and could well still be in L2 next season.
    I agree, we're still Wrexham and many of us fans who've been around for 30 plus years like I have still expect us to somehow manage to fck it up despite everything.
    Not sure they've pumped much of their own money in though, I suspect a lot of it comes from sponsors, documentary money, ticket sales, selling a ton of shirts & merchandise to the yanks etc etc.

Regardless of whether we get promoted or not we have a lot of players out of contract in the summer so the squad will be over hauled in the summer regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I remember the time when people on here were saying they much preferred having our owners to McReynolds.
    Lol
    I still do. I think Wrexham will do very well but their success comes from throwing more money at the problem than everybody else. That's only sustainable so long as your owners are willing to pour it in. As soon as the outlays required to advance exceed what Rob and Ryan perceive they're getting out of it, Wrexham will falter, and they may or may not have a workable plan B in that moment.

Our owners have a strategy, and up until this year that strategy was consistently working. The current situation is a blip they will almost certainly correct. I believe their strategy is more sustainable and more likely to lead to long term success. It will also be slower... most good long term strategies are slower in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    I agree, we're still Wrexham and many of us fans who've been around for 30 plus years like I have still expect us to somehow manage to fck it up despite everything.
    Not sure they've pumped much of their own money in though, I suspect a lot of it comes from sponsors, documentary money, ticket sales, selling a ton of shirts & merchandise to the yanks etc etc.

Regardless of whether we get promoted or not we have a lot of players out of contract in the summer so the squad will be over hauled in the summer regardless.
    Who do you think will get the shove? You have a massive squad at least strength in depth. I see Mullin has a contract until 2027! That's a huge mistake from a playing perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I still do. Best of luck to Wrexham mind. You take it when you get that and you have been in NL for 15 years or whatever it was. Our owners are fantastic compared to the previous several lot. Yes the recruitment not great. I am sure it will be sorted out. I wasn't so sure under Trew or Hardy god knows about Munto and definitely not the Trust! Should i continue?
    Really can't work out why. Our owners haven't just transformed the club they've brought whole town back to life and what they've done and continue to do goes way beyond football. Surely you would gauge who has the better owners like you would a manager . i.e. on success?

For all you know your owners might have just dropped lucky on Luke Williams and signing Langstaff? Time will tell, as it will with ours and their pledges. Have your owners set out a plan and told Notts fans what their goals are etc?

Obviously money talks, and Wrexham yet again have the biggest budget in the league. Same reason Stockport and Mansfield are up there too. I've been critical of Parkinson in the past, but looking at how we've fallen apart recently, there's something to be said for a solid and reliable manager whose team manages to grind out results home and away whether they play well or poorly. Playing fancy football is sometimes nice, but it's points that matter.

Really, Wrexham have done exactly what any football club would do if they wanted to rise up the leagues as quickly as possible and had the money to fund it: sign quality players and hire a manager with promotion experience. It's not rocket science.

As for the rivalry - I'll always associate Wrexham with what was probably the most intense, exciting, and draining season I've ever experienced, but that's about it. They aren't a rival, and I doubt we'll play them again for a good few years. Shame we couldn't keep up with them this time, but it was a miracle we managed to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Who do you think will get the shove? You have a massive squad at least strength in depth. I see Mullin has a contract until 2027! That's a huge mistake from a playing perspective.
    The below are out of contract - the ones I can see us trying to keep are Okonkwo, McClean, Cleworth. EDIT: Scratch Cleworth from that list, he signed up until 2025 and thank god he has. Turning into a class defender.

Lainton, Howard, Okonkwo (on loan)

McFadzen, Tozer, Hayden, Tunniclife, McClean, Cleworth, Aaron James, Luke Young and Fletcher

I think the rest will be released. Hayden and Tunniclife are great players when fit and playing regularly unfortunately neither can stay fit long enough to get into any sort of form this season. But any L2 club would could do a lot worse than those two. Tunniclife is possibly our best defender, was last season certainly before he got injured in the FA Cup. Also Luke Young, a great player, great attitude and severely under rated even by many of our own fans. Could easily play in a team competing to get out of L2. I wouldn't be against keeping him at all.
    Last edited by BenFostersGloves; 15-03-2024 at 11:12 AM.

Really can't work out why. Our owners haven't just transformed the club they've brought whole town back to life and what they've done and continue to do goes way beyond football. Surely you would gauge who has the better owners like you would a manager . i.e. on success?

For all you know your owners might have just dropped lucky on Luke Williams and signing Langstaff? Time will tell, as it will with ours and their pledges. Have your owners set out a plan and told Notts fans what their goals are etc?
    If you look at the history of Notts and I am sure you had plenty of this as well over the years we've had plenty of plans. they mean nothing. What means something is actual intent beyond a plan and also sticking to it. We've had managers hired on the basis of a powerpoint presentation. Not now. I think we did drop a bit lucky with Luke Williams. Despite the hype Langstaff is not my type of player. He certainly worked for Williams. He is a waste of space for Maynard. I know we are not going to get a Hollywood star coming through the door with megabucks and I am comfortable with the current owners and the rate of progress. Obviously I am unhappy with our poor turn of form. If your owners have done that then fantastic but I am a reasonable guy and I am happy to take ahead of the game over massively ahead! Good luck.

The goal is steady improvement year on year. That's pretty much it.

We've had owners in the past come out with impressive 'five-year plans' to get to the Championship and then blow up and panic when it doesn't happen. So the aim is to be better equipped each season for success, both on and off the pitch. It works for me, and we don't really need famous people to come in and 'bring Nottingham back to life.' Anyone who tried would be laughed out of town, or perhaps chased.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    The goal is steady improvement year on year. That's pretty much it.
    Well, if that was the goal this year, it has been missed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast