+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circumstances

Circumstances

When I lived in Weir, between Bacup and Burnley not only was I a regular season ticket holder but my whole family had them. We saw Burnley rise from the 4th division to the prem but moved abroad and relinquished our excellent seats in the Bob lord stand just behind the 100 Club. I Spent years in exile in greece and france but I'm now back living east of Huddersfield. Now a pensioner on reduced funds i can't afford to follow the team i love to the same extent, one or two games a season is the best i can manage, last season's choice was QPR, sod's law to pick our only home defeat. I suppose what i'm trying to say is that if i still lived in Weir i'd be over every other weekend watching the Clarets through thick and thin. I am jealous of you guys who live on Turf moor's doorstep.But, on a brighter note i may be moving to ramsbottom which promises more turf visits. just thought I'd share this hope. When Saturday comes..

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    When I lived in Weir, between Bacup and Burnley not only was I a regular season ticket holder but my whole family had them. We saw Burnley rise from the 4th division to the prem but moved abroad and relinquished our excellent seats in the Bob lord stand just behind the 100 Club. I Spent years in exile in greece and france but I'm now back living east of Huddersfield. Now a pensioner on reduced funds i can't afford to follow the team i love to the same extent, one or two games a season is the best i can manage, last season's choice was QPR, sod's law to pick our only home defeat. I suppose what i'm trying to say is that if i still lived in Weir i'd be over every other weekend watching the Clarets through thick and thin. I am jealous of you guys who live on Turf moor's doorstep.But, on a brighter note i may be moving to ramsbottom which promises more turf visits. just thought I'd share this hope. When Saturday comes..
    If you do move to Ramsbottom I will happily pick you up on my way over from Bolton k_c. A Season Ticket for a pensioner in the Championship will cost you a tenner a game.

My wife is giving up going because of a severe mobility problem caused by a dicky hip; perhaps if you do make the move to Rammy you can take over her seat in the Jimmy Mc Upper and join me and the grandson and son on our visits to the Home of Football?

Very interesting read chris and I can empathise with your feelings.
    I was a season ticket holder from 1955 to 1966 when I joined the RAF. Posted to Germany in 1967 to 1971 and then again in 1974 to 1978, I had all the lads in the band contributing to our development fund and used to send just under £50 per week to the fund.
    Since leaving home, I have never lived nearer than 100 miles from the Turf but used to travel up whenever I could, fitting things in between my job and playing football myself.
    I hve lived in Ashington since 1988 and, on retirement in 2008, I bought a season ticket and travelled for every game until Covid reared its ugly head. That resulted in m not renewinf my season ticket in 2020 and only managing to get to occasional games, particularly last season when tickets were very hard to come by.
    Yesterday, my son, who is visting from Telford, and myself made the 350 mile return trip (thanks to the Blubberhouses road problems)
    and were overjoyed to see us win our first game of this year, in spite of making hard work of it in the end.
    This was my third game of the season, having seen us beaten by Villa and then capitulating to West Ham in a game which we should have won. I have tickets for three other games and will travel down and enjoy them, no matter what the results are.

Why? Well, I shall be 78 this year and enjoy going to watch Ashington in the NPL East Division and it only cost £50 for a season ticket and no travelling costs, unless I go away, which I frequently do, sometimes travelling further that I do when going to the Turf!
    First match was August 1952 and last will probably be May 2024, a lot of time feeling all the emotions of supporting the Clarets through thick and thin. I will not miss the PL and its showbusiness approach at all, I just hope that the authorities do not inflict VAR on the lower reaches of the league system.

If you do move to Rammy, get yourself a season ticket and go and enjoy supporting your team ------because you can, after all these years. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Cracking little town Rammy.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Cracking little town Rammy.Good luck.
    Liver and onions in Owen's, just across from the station, can't beat it. You are aware though Chris, there are no banks in Rammy ?

In between my second & third marriage I lived on my own in Rammy for about 12 months.

I loved it!
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 17-03-2024 at 12:37 PM.

Cheers BT, I'll let you know when it happens though I have a mate in Rammy (it's his sons house we're aiming for) who is a season ticket holder so transport won't be an issue.
    Supersub, you should be called Superfan with those round trips for home matches.
    I know Rammy's a good little town, had quite a few bevvies there with my mates and as for banks sinky I've not been in one for years, I'm a cyberclient these days. The liver and onions sounds good though.

Mum used to live in Holcombe Brook.

Owens is a lovely restaurant and there is a very good pub/restaurant in Hawkshaw,The Red Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Mum used to live in Holcombe Brook.

Owens is a lovely restaurant and there is a very good pub/restaurant in Hawkshaw,The Red Lion.
    I shall consider it my duty to check it out barrie

Great news Chris and even better still you are on the doorstep of the East Lancs Railway line.. Cheap rates for locals. 😎

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)