+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sack the groundsman

Pitch reminds me of the grass verges in the schemes.

Years of cars parking on them makes the grass unrecoverable and just turns into a bog.

Years of sanding and flooded patches not draining has turned a pristine piece of Scottish football real estate into what we have now.

Cut enough corners yesterday eventually hit a brick wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Pitch reminds me of the grass verges in the schemes.

Years of cars parking on them makes the grass unrecoverable and just turns into a bog.

Years of sanding and flooded patches not draining has turned a pristine piece of Scottish football real estate into what we have now.

Cut enough corners yesterday eventually hit a brick wall.
    How Nelmsy can think that the Dens Park was playable for yesterday’s game is beyond me.
    A poster on Pravda said that covers had been on the pitch. It that is the case then the moths must have been eating the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    How Nelmsy can think that the Dens Park was playable for yesterday’s game is beyond me.
    You thinking that putting on the undersoil heating would dry out the pitch (see post 35 on this thread) is beyond me.

"Nelmsy should get Fenton to switch on the undersoil heading which will help dry out the pitch" your words.

That would make the drainage problems worse. As you keep advising others..Do your homework before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dens Park Dynamo View Post
    You thinking that putting on the undersoil heating would dry out the pitch (see post 35 on this thread) is beyond me.

"Nelmsy should get Fenton to switch on the undersoil heading which will help dry out the pitch" your words.

That would make the drainage problems worse. As you keep advising others..Do your homework before you post.
    Can’t wait for the reply to this.

conditions is the best decision for player safety and to preserve season-long playability of the ball fields. If there's standing water on 1% of the field, it's TOO WET for play!
    Googled suggestion. Couldn't find any reference to undersold heating being suitable to help dry out waterlogged pitch. Improve drainage was the only advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dens Park Dynamo View Post

I previously worked beside Stewart Duff when he was Secretary of St Johnstone Football Club and he told me that undersoil heating dries out the pitch.

I previously worked beside Stewart Duff when he was Secretary of St Johnstone Football Club and he told me that undersoil heating dries out the pitch.
    Note I'm not an expert on all of this and stand to be corrected by others more knowledgeable but I think it it a question of timing regarding undersoil heating drying out pitches. Over extended periods switched on and after long-term use I have read that undersoil heating does indeed dry out the soil but more to the point the subsoil through which the pipes run. This not only dries out the subsoil but compacts it stopping water from seeping through to the drainage. I don't know if that is the case at Dens more likely the drains themselves are not fit for purpose. Very short term I doubt it it would make enough difference say a few hours use between rain going off and kick off, but again that is only my thoughts it may be otherwise.

A further point in all of this carry on I spoke today to a farmer with a large acreage in Angus and he told me that the water table on or under his land was currently higher now than it has ever been in his 50 years farming. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    That is the case re the Celtic game. Our problem is the length of time taken to dry out due to the unfit for purpose drainage system. That is why in our current situation, until they do something about it in the close season (they surely have to), is that the pitch is vulnerable to heavy downpours in the 24 hour run up to games. In the longer term undersoil heating dries out the subsoil and is actually a detriment to drainage due to compacting of said soil. I can't see the undersoil heating being much help in the short term run up to a match, could well be wrong though. We would likely just end up with slightly warmer water lying on the pitch.
    I doubt undersoil heating would reach the temperatures required to aid evaporation - could be wrong on that too. Undersoil heating is generally detrimental to the condition of the pitch, that's one of reasons it's used sparingly (cost being the main one of course).

Yeah, I always thought it was for defrosting and snow (which in itself would put more strain on the drainage).. if you remember the times we used to get snow.

Well Mr Duff gave you duff information. Looks like more homework required from you Islay. You must not have researched before you post as you always claim you do. Tut tut, must do better.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)