+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Sack the groundsman

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post

does your all consuming hatred of Nelms cloud all other judgement?
    This all day long, and just because JN wouldn't spend time with him during a completely unannounced visit to Gardyne.

I find it quite sad really

Anybody know if this story about a refusal to put on covers has any truth?

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Anybody know if this story about a refusal to put on covers has any truth?
    I've heard this from a few sources. I don't know if it was a refusal to put on covers i.e. going against instructions from higher management or negligence in 'forgetting' to put them on or a simple miscalculation following a weather forecast that was inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    What I heard was that the 'dissension' was the ex groundsmen not doing what they were told by Nelms (as you speculate) i.e. he (Nelms) wanted them to cover the pitch to protect it from the rain, they didn't. That, if true and I believe it is, brings an interest set of questions. Who knew more about the state of the pitch Nelms or the ex groundsmen? Many on here have thought that covering the pitch would be a waste of time; was that the thoughts of the two Brians?

If I recall correctly you, Islay, advocated covering the pitch and criticised the club for not doing so over the season to date. My own opinion is that covering the pitch would have been largely pointless and that I would have thought that experienced groundsmen would have known more on such matters than Nelms. You, Islay, would be in the position of agreeing with Nelms (horror of horrors for you) and disagreeing with the Robertsons on the covering of the pitch but the tone of your post was to suggest getting rid of the two Brian's as a big mistake and that was all the fault of Nelms. You can't have it both ways or does your all consuming hatred of Nelms cloud all other judgement?
    You are possibly not aware that last October 2023 Dee4life donated covers to protect the seats from pigeon and seagull droppings which were instead used to protect the goalmouths from the elements.
    The covers might protect the seats from pigeon and seagull droppings but they do not appear to be much use protecting the goalmouths from rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    This all day long, and just because JN wouldn't spend time with him during a completely unannounced visit to Gardyne.

I find it quite sad really
    If you are speaking about me then I suggest that you get your facts right.
    I had previously phoned the Club to arrange to collect the framed strip. John Nelms walked past us standing at the reception desk and never asked if we were being attended to.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I had previously phoned the Club to arrange to collect the framed strip. John Nelms walked past us standing at the reception desk and never asked if we were being attended to.
    I did not know that, notta lotta people do.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Did you have an appointment with John Nelms? Was it his job to ask if you were being attended to? Or does he employ others to arrange the type of appointment you were there for and to attend to you?

If someone walked into my work and stood at reception I'd assume they'd gone through the necessary protocols to make an appointment, were expected, had spoken to someone on their arrival and were being attended to. If however they'd said something like 'excuse me I'm here to see......' then I'd have assumed they were not yet being attended to and would have contacted whoever their appointment was with. Would I have gone out of my way to speak and pass the time of day with them? Probably not because, Like John Nelms most likely was, I'd be a bit busy for to pass the time with a random person in reception.

Here's how I read what you've said about this incident so far - when you walked into Gardyne, as an official representative of Dee4Life and on Dee4Life duty, someone spoke to you. You told that person the reason you were there and they went to retrieve the framed shirt that you requested. John Nelms walked past and assumed you were being attended to so went into his office and closed the door behind him. You then demanded a guided tour of the facility which the person attending to you agreed to - this was an unarranged tour agreed to by someone without the proper authority to do so. The person that agreed to the tour was later challenged on the decision by John Nelms and the person told him that you'd been insistent and it was agreed to as an easy out. John Nelms has then written to the Dee4Life Secretary advising that such visits by representatives of Dee4Life on official business, are not permitted without advance notice - adding that you'd been rather insistent on having this tour. You've chosen to take this as a personal attack and it has resulted in you now embarking on an anti John Nelms crusade which is eating you up inside causing a ridiculous level of bitterness given the petty nature of your beef with John Nelms.

Am I right or am I wrong?

You are wrong,imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    You are wrong,imo.
    From what Islay's written on the subject that's how I see it. It's sad that such a respected fan feels the way he does about John Nelms - his hatred of the man even running as far as stating he won't attend any new stadium should it ever be built.

If I am wrong though I'd like the actual sequence of events to be more clearly laid out as I just don't get the severity of it. There must have at least been some aggression shown by John Nelms toward Islay for him to react the way he has surely? But from the descriptions given Islay was just ignored - that's no reason for the hatred he's developed. I'm not really prepared to believe the letter sent was a complete lie, what benefit would such a lie be to anyone?

There's a lot more to this than Islay's letting on and it's time he was much more honest about the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    From what Islay's written on the subject that's how I see it. It's sad that such a respected fan feels the way he does about John Nelms - his hatred of the man even running as far as stating he won't attend any new stadium should it ever be built.

If I am wrong though I'd like the actual sequence of events to be more clearly laid out as I just don't get the severity of it. There must have at least been some aggression shown by John Nelms toward Islay for him to react the way he has surely? But from the descriptions given Islay was just ignored - that's no reason for the hatred he's developed. I'm not really prepared to believe the letter sent was a complete lie, what benefit would such a lie be to anyone?

There's a lot more to this than Islay's letting on and it's time he was much more honest about the actual events.
    I have previously posted what happened and it is not what you have posted. I asked if it was possible to have a tour of the club offices at Gardyne but if it was not possible then it was not the end of the world.
    It was John Nelms who stated the wrong information in his letter to the Dee4life board of directors in reply to their nomination of Kenny Valentine as the Dee4life primary representative on the Dundee Football Club Limited board of directors under articles 79 - 82 of the Dundee Football Club Limited Articles of Association.
    John Nelms hates Dee4life because the Dee4life members voted in favour of NOT selling the A shares to FPS for the derisory sum of £8,000 later increased to £10,000 in January 2019.
    You should know by now that nobody is allowed to say no to John Nelms.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)