+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Ayres - One to watch.

Josh Ayres - One to watch.

It's all doom and gloom at the minute so let's try a positive post looking to the future. Has anyone else noticed the regularity that this lad is scoring for the under 18s recently? He came on in a couple of pre season games and to me looked the pick of the young lads who played in them, a big well built centre forward for his age, looked a handful.

Just to be clear I'm not doing a gru here and saying a young lad should be in the team on the back of a pre season cameo that I saw, just that he could be one to keep an eye on.

One good thing about going down is that we're back in the EFL trophy, it's much maligned but it could give us the chance to blood a few youngsters in proper mens games.

Masbroughstreet, didn't he come on as a sub during the pre season match against the Blades? If so, what a unit indeed.

I seem to recall this tall well built young lad who looked a right handful who battled well against the Blades back line, especially when it came to corners. I often wondered who it was and where he is now.

Thing is, some say don't blood them too young you'll burn them out and dampen their love for the game if they don't score as a forward and only see defeat after defeat, load of crap! How many young players were blooded because those that know their football chose to use their enthusiasm, no fear complex, and wanting to PLAY for the badge.

If it's who I think it is then give him a game or two, we're down, we've seen back to back 5-0 defeats so what's the difference if it happens again?. Given what our 'supposed' centre forwards offer of late what's to lose? It also gives Richardson a chance to see him play a game at a higher level.

Yes Brin, that's the one!

I'm not entirely sure of the squad rules as there are so many caveats, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but if he were to start a game in the league would that mean he'd then be classed as a 'first team' player and would have to be included as one of the 25 man squad next season rather than as a youth player? If so, it'd be a waste of a squad place just to try somebody out in a meaningless game.

Here's a video on an Italian scouting Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGzXHZTPRKo

He's the number 9 causing Huddersfield a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Yes Brin, that's the one!

I'm not entirely sure of the squad rules as there are so many caveats, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but if he were to start a game in the league would that mean he'd then be classed as a 'first team' player and would have to be included as one of the 25 man squad next season rather than as a youth player? If so, it'd be a waste of a squad place just to try somebody out in a meaningless game.
    Or, will we have unearthed a gem that requires working on? Do part see your point though. He really is a big unit and looking at the video, not afraid to try anything in order to score. There's enough of the dross waiting to be moved on, many who only seem to play sub so, could Josh take one of their places?

McGuckin given chance I'm more confident about than other young players with have now. Impressed with him in pre-season friendly's this season doesn't look an under strength young player, good movement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    McGuckin given chance I'm more confident about than other young players with have now. Impressed with him in pre-season friendly's this season doesn't look an under strength young player, good movement as well.
    I hope you don't put the gru kiss of death on the McGuckin like you do on every other young player you 'spot'. Having said that you were probably actually looking at Josh Ayres and didn't realise.

I think with our current forward line Pam Ayres wouldn’t be any worse

The problem with playing youngsters still remains

It takes a brave manager to put them on the pitch in the Championship, and most wouldn’t do it in league 1 if we are in the top 8

It needs us to be mid table league 1 to risk playing them

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The problem with playing youngsters still remains

It takes a brave manager to put them on the pitch in the Championship, and most wouldn’t do it in league 1 if we are in the top 8

It needs us to be mid table league 1 to risk playing them
    Ben Wiles made his league debut in the Championship and played in nearly half the games that season.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast