+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Josh Ayres - One to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Millmoordays View Post
    Apart from Wiles, name me any home grown player to make it into the first team…..in Stewart's time? You can go back further if you like.
    mcG was only used because Taylor had no one else.

It’s a shocking affair….last year we RELEASED a youth player to Man U. It may be nice thing to help a kid up the ladder, but rather than bring him on further (and get more money later as he develops) we get a cheap release fee now.
    That’s Stewart all over.
    Jerry Yates and Josh Kayode. You’re right though, nowhere near enough.

Give him a run out. What have we got to lose? If he's going to make it, a manager is going to have to take a chance on him at some point. The fans would be willing him on

Apart from Wiles, name me any home grown player to make it into the first team…..in Stewart's time? You can go back further if you like.

It’s a shocking affair….last year we RELEASED a youth player to Man U. It may be nice thing to help a kid up the ladder, but rather than bring him on further (and get more money later as he develops) we get a cheap release fee now.
    That’s Stewart all over.
    I might be wrong but I thought there’s now a thing where ‘bigger’ clubs are allowed to poach youngsters from EFL teams..?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I agree, we should do exactly that but maybe we have made promises to loaning clubs that their players have to be picked.?
    Ok so that is 5 slots from 20, do we need Fergie on the bench? That is at least 1. I can't see LR doing it but I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    Ok so that is 5 slots from 20, do we need Fergie on the bench? That is at least 1. I can't see LR doing it but I could be wrong
    Well I would risk it but that would also mean keeping the youngster at the club rather than sending out on loan. If not on loan means we are paying him so it's a more expensive option.

And the club philosophy is to keep costs down

Don't know much about Josh other than what I saw in a couple of friendlies.
    Obviously a big lad,but looked very raw,and not much cop,to be honest.
    But he's young, so hopefully he'll improve, and probably no worse than Wyke.
    As a club we really must get more of our own into the first team, as we can't really buy talent, so we must grow it.
    Surely next season is the time to give the kids a chance, if they can't hack it in league one then they'll never make it.

You can't just throw them in got to be potentially ready. Wiles was. Kayode wasn't still isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Well I would risk it but that would also mean keeping the youngster at the club rather than sending out on loan. If not on loan means we are paying him so it's a more expensive option.

And the club philosophy is to keep costs down
    I agree with that

That’s Stewart all over.
    Add this to the task list of the new regulator - the big boys need to pay a structured compensation package to any club that they take youngsters from - with sell ons etc - they won't miss the money but clubs like ours will. Time to start tipping the scales back into the direction of lower leagues/grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    You can't just throw them in got to be potentially ready. Wiles was. Kayode wasn't still isn't.
    Are you kidding? Nobody suggests throwing in young players who aren't ready more than you do.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast