+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Football regulator

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    What makes anyone think a football regulator would be any more effective or efficient than any of the other industry regulators that already exist?
    Let's face it the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), Ofwat, Ofcom, Ofgem et al are hardly beacons of effectiveness are they?
    Also what would they call a football regulator?
    Offoot? Ofball? Neither are particularly appealing 😉
    Offside? Kickoff?

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    Like some of those you mention, the lack of meaningful bite would stem from complex ownership of those they're overseeing. The problems we have now don't come from a lack of governance, they come from a structure which isn't equitable, and a general apathy from the 'consumers'. As I said above, the lack of uniform agreement that the game is almost completely f***ed renders any incoming regulator as little more than a token gesture.

I don't blame the toerags running the game, nor the players who take so much out of it. The fans are to blame. As someone on here said about our club, which echoes completely about the wider game, fans get the sort of (club, or) game the deserve.
    "The fans are to blame".
    Heard it all now.

Last edited by UlleyMiller; 19-03-2024 at 01:22 PM. Reason: To save myself dumbing down a point

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    There are a couple of things which we should take encouragement from.
    The creation of this independent football regulator is happening because of the uproar from fans over the ongoing ruination of the national sport. The Government has been forced to act.
    Once mobilised, fans still have power. After all, they killed the European Superleague didn't they?
    I'm not sure they killed the European Super League, just wounded it probably.
    With so many foreign owners involved at the highest level you can bet your bottom dollar it will soon raise its ugly head again.

Sorry I don't have a link but there is a very good undercover documentary by Al Jazzera on YouTube called 'The men who sell football'. It covers billions of foreign money laundering through British football clubs primarily the prem and championship. Makes very alarming reading. I urge all football fans to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    "The fans are to blame".
    Heard it all now.
    But it's a view that has some merit

Football is one of the few things that folk continually pay good money for a poor product.

They wouldn't do it in say a restaurant if the food was poor, so why football?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    But it's a view that has some merit

Football is one of the few things that folk continually pay good money for a poor product.

They wouldn't do it in say a restaurant if the food was poor, so why football?
    Because its bloody sport,so every team must brilliant and win every game ,so how does that work then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Because its bloody sport,so every team must brilliant and win every game ,so how does that work then ?
    They play us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12