+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merson compares having the trots to gambling

Merson compares having the trots to gambling

Only an extremely overpaid ex player would want to shout out at the people in charge, who are trying to address an issue within the game. Highlighting the fact what is obviously known to the football world and fan fraternity, Merson thinks the bans handed down to Toney (Brentford) and Tonali (Newcastle) were a disgrace.

How can he possibly expect anyone to offer any help and support, unless a player seeks support by outing their problem at gambling? The deterrents were given in a hope players/Managers, as we know some gamble, cut back or cut this out of their lives and see that bans will be imposed.

Gambling blights personally, families, households, relationships and could potentially cost anyone their employment and in extreme cases, their stand in the community. We have a friend on here who openly admits to previously having had a gambling addiction when working. Thankfully, he says he saw the error of his ways and cut this out and cancelled his accounts.

I don't feel sorry for or pity Merson, it was his own personal choice to gamble no one forced him and IF coerced by his peers, he could still have said no, akin to drug taking. What other steps can those in charge of the FA do if evidence is presented to them....just let it continue?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68595134

I agree with Merson, the Toney and Tonali bans were a disgrace

They should have been life bans

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Only an extremely overpaid ex player would want to shout out at the people in charge, who are trying to address an issue within the game. Highlighting the fact what is obviously known to the football world and fan fraternity, Merson thinks the bans handed down to Toney (Brentford) and Tonali (Newcastle) were a disgrace.

How can he possibly expect anyone to offer any help and support, unless a player seeks support by outing their problem at gambling? The deterrents were given in a hope players/Managers, as we know some gamble, cut back or cut this out of their lives and see that bans will be imposed.

Gambling blights personally, families, households, relationships and could potentially cost anyone their employment and in extreme cases, their stand in the community. We have a friend on here who openly admits to previously having had a gambling addiction when working. Thankfully, he says he saw the error of his ways and cut this out and cancelled his accounts.

I don't feel sorry for or pity Merson, it was his own personal choice to gamble no one forced him and IF coerced by his peers, he could still have said no, akin to drug taking. What other steps can those in charge of the FA do if evidence is presented to them....just let it continue?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68595134
    For alongtime I would have agreed with you however, I have seen addiction first hand and whilst the initial dalliance with the vice may be personal choice, it can soon become out of control. I also don't pity such individuals but I am developing an understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I agree with Merson, the Toney and Tonali bans were a disgrace

They should have been life bans

If they've gambled on games they were involved in yes deserved ban if not it's their money they've not murdered anyone.

We all need an escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedthegoater View Post
    We all need an escape.
    The problem comes when you need an escape from your escape e.g. being a Miller

I would have more sympathy with these bored, grotesquely overpaid footballers if they stated they had an addiction to gambling BEFORE they got caught breaking the rules.
    Maybe the prospect of something like a 5 year ban would make them assess whether they were addicted or just plain stupid.

It’s a personal choice which river you swim up .

Take your choice rulebreakers or good human beings like Southgate Warney? We all aren't perfect like them. I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Take your choice rulebreakers or good human beings like Southgate Warney? We all aren't perfect like them. I'm not!
    Bit of a stupid comment. Nobody's perfect but people who knowingly break the rules and get caught deserve a lengthy ban.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast