+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archie Gray

MT,

curious as to what League or country is better than English football/Prem? While I think the FA is corrupt I can also assure you that the rest of the world views the Prem as the pinnacle of club football. You might get some teams better than the best team in the prem some years but the rest of the leagues can't hold a candle to the prem on average. If he wants to play for the 3 lions then it's also a much better chance to shine.

I think many of us are underestimating the potential that wealthy owners offer Leeds. Other than scum which have been an institution in world football for a long, long time most of the "big six" have had their periods of mediocrity or failure. There is not reason that 5 years down the road we can't be up there with the big six or better. A one club large city with wealthy owners offers huge upside potential. Archie might dream of building it with us.

It sure if it’s always a case of better Spaldy but like watching other leagues for the different styles of play, tempo and tactics.

Prem at the moment seems to largely trying to copy Pep G’s way of playing.

The Bundesliga is good to watch and seem to have lots of teams playing in different ways.

Always enjoy watching good games in La Liga or Serie A. Try to watch some of the Argentinian league too.

Prem rarely disappoints but wouldn’t necessarily say it is the best .

It probably is (arguably, anyway) the best league in the World, but there is still more than enough dross in it to throw up fixtures that I challenge anyone other then fans of the two teams involved to enjoy.

They aren't always stinkers, but I'm sure most on here could list current premier league fixtures they'd atively avoid unless the alternative involved clothes shopping or stripping wallpaper.

I probably should make more effort, but I have never had any interest in the MLS here.

There's definitely some misplaced football snobbery involved (Leeds haven't always been easy on the eye either), but it just doesn't float my boat.

Friendly internationals are rapidly boarding that particular sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    It probably is (arguably, anyway) the best league in the World, but there is still more than enough dross in it to throw up fixtures that I challenge anyone other then fans of the two teams involved to enjoy.

They aren't always stinkers, but I'm sure most on here could list current premier league fixtures they'd atively avoid unless the alternative involved clothes shopping or stripping wallpaper.

I probably should make more effort, but I have never had any interest in the MLS here.

There's definitely some misplaced football snobbery involved (Leeds haven't always been easy on the eye either), but it just doesn't float my boat.

Friendly internationals are rapidly boarding that particular sinking ship.
    not snobbery. It's just realism.

The MLS missed the boat for any Football purist when they enshrined franchise placement. The lack of relegation permanently ensures mediocrity. The fact that there a literally a good amount of cities here that could and would support
    an MLS teams but have no chance of getting a franchise means the mediocre teams in the MLS will likely continue to be that way. It's absurd how many teams they have in the "top flight".

The level of play reflects that. No urgency to improve and some franchises will never contest.

Oh, and it is a substandard level of play.

Agree that MLS isn’t yet at a very high standard.

Think there are a few leagues which are v good. Danger for the prem is that is increasingly becoming a league where there are leagues within leagues.

Top 3
    4 to 8
    Then down to about 15th
    Everything below that

The historic strength was that any team on its day could beat any other but the gap is just growing too wide. Suspect a lot of the things people hate about modern football (such as clubs buying up all the young talent to stop others or paying stupidly inflated transfer fees) originate in the prom and/or Real Madrid/Barca/PSG.

There is a lot less variety as to how teams play too - part of the reason I want Brentford to do well as they use their own model and style.

It’s also becoming so expensive that the hard core fans of yester year may struggle to be able to attend.

At one level it is also becoming a playground for the super rich be that individuals or countries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)