+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Main injury

Main injury

Pity, he was becoming quite influential and decent partnership forming

Is it just my imagination or is there far more injuries these days? There is us winning the league in 61/62 with only 15 players with the substitute players only playing 9,4,3, and 2 games each, meaning majority of the players played every game (did the Arabs not win the league with 12 players or so their story goes, that number is reduced in their minds in the same way that their crowd numbers are inflated though). Back to injuries as young lad I remember broken legs, collar bones etc. and the, at that time, dreaded cartilage injuries but not the plethora of muscle injuries, acl's, achilles injuries etc. Maybe it is the flimsy boots they wear nowadays, the last player I remember wearing substantial footwear (rugby boots iirc) was John Duncan in the early 70s. Maybe it's the training nowadays or maybe the players are just made of chocolate!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    Is it just my imagination or is there far more injuries these days? There is us winning the league in 61/62 with only 15 players with the substitute players only playing 9,4,3, and 2 games each, meaning majority of the players played every game (did the Arabs not win the league with 12 players or so their story goes, that number is reduced in their minds in the same way that their crowd numbers are inflated though). Back to injuries as young lad I remember broken legs, collar bones etc. and the, at that time, dreaded cartilage injuries but not the plethora of muscle injuries, acl's, achilles injuries etc. Maybe it is the flimsy boots they wear nowadays, the last player I remember wearing substantial footwear (rugby boots iirc) was John Duncan in the early 70s. Maybe it's the training nowadays or maybe the players are just made of chocolate!!
    Either more or far less players playing with niggles or "soft injury"

John Duncan like a lot of boys at the Morgan wore Rugby boots to play both Rugby and Football, in the early 60s a lot of boys parents couldn’t afford to buy 2 different pairs of boots , and the Morgan was a mainly Rugby playing school and at that time they never had a first year school football team , they didn’t play football matches till 2nd year ,

Quote Originally Posted by Dode craigie View Post
    John Duncan like a lot of boys at the Morgan wore Rugby boots to play both Rugby and Football, in the early 60s a lot of boys parents couldn’t afford to buy 2 different pairs of boots , and the Morgan was a mainly Rugby playing school and at that time they never had a first year school football team , they didn’t play football matches till 2nd year ,
    Interesting point, makes sense. Duncan continued to wear such footwear even in senior football presumably to guard against injury.

In the 60s I remember having and playing in Tommy Docherty boots. A real substantial boot with a solid toe cap. Not much use for silky soccer skills but defenders could do some damage with them. Even taking such 'weapons' i.e. boots into consideration there still didn't seem to me as many injuries back then.

Interesting point, makes sense. Duncan continued to wear such footwear even in senior football presumably to guard against injury.

In the 60s I remember having and playing in Tommy Docherty boots. A real substantial boot with a solid toe cap. Not much use for silky soccer skills but defenders could do some damage with them. Even taking such 'weapons' i.e. boots into consideration there still didn't seem to me as many injuries back then.
    A lot of injuries are caused by playing on artificial pitches.
    Last season I was sitting next to Sam Fisher’s father and he told me that a lot of injuries such as cruciate injuries are caused by football players playing on artificial pitches.
    I think that the Dundee FC players train on an artificial surface when they are training indoors at Caird Park.

There was a school of thought that suggested bladed boots, introduced via the adidas predator boot to be the cause. Not sure where that went though.

You’re lucky I had Tom Finney boots that were handed down from my older brother, by the time I got them the sharp end of the small tacks that held the studs on were starting to come through the soles , at the end of every game there was small blood marks on my socks and wee painful holes in my feet ha , the good old days playing football in the park all day Sunday , jumpers for goalposts , next goal winner

You’re lucky I had Tom Finney boots that were handed down from my older brother, by the time I got them the sharp end of the small tacks that held the studs on were starting to come through the soles , at the end of every game there was small blood marks on my socks and wee painful holes in my feet ha , the good old days playing football in the park all day Sunday , jumpers for goalposts , next goal winner
    Three corners a penalty

Remember well games at Kirkton Park that seemed to go on all day. Teams changed, players went 'hame for thir tea' and reappeared later to get a game again sometimes on the other side. And as you say didn't matter the score when the cry went up for next goal the winner. Happy days, nae phones, and nae computers, two channels on the tv. Just played fitba' a' day.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)