+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: England shirt

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    This is maybe where I'm different to everyone else on here. I don't get the uproar.

Its just an alternative design. If you don't like it, then don't buy it.

There's plenty of other things worth getting worked up about more.

I just don't see how this affects anyone's life enough to be bothered by it. But that's my view.

Nike is a USA company so a company manufacturing anything American should f uck around with the Stars and Stripes. If this was done there would be absolute uproar as the Americans love their flag, their country and they national anthem.

In this country, some absolute k nobs say the St George flag is racist, and the woke brigade will do everything to rock the boat. If two gays want to swing from the lamp shades then that's up to them but rainbow this and rainbow that - keep it out of football FFS! What next pink tennis balls at Wimbledon?

The Government should have some balls and demand this flag is flown from every government/council building and if someone does not like it - they can resign or live elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Think Starmer was perfectly right to question both why Nike chose to tamper so much with the traditional emblem (for reasons that they themselves seem unable to explain) and why they think it okay to charge such extortionate prices for the shirts.

I get the argument around it being up to individuals if they are stupid enough to pay such prices but these are replica shirts of our national team and surely, as representative of a national team with the inclusiveness that should entail, these should be as available/affordable as possible? I assume Nike have a licencing agreement which means competitors are unable to produce a rival option at a much cheaper price but, if so, why should only the better off be able to afford a replica England shirt?

As for the changed emblem, who signed this off? This is quite a major alteration and whilst I understand the "so what" attitude of those not concerned or interested, it is an issue for a great many others who are-and I'd venture that these are the great majority of supporters.
    Its a great PR win for Starmer this, to have his face splattered across The Sun criticising 'wokeness' will appeal to some floating voters.

He's understands how to play the political games you have to win to become PM.

But when he does become PM, there needs to be actions and not words. That was (one of) the major problem with Johnson, he was all bluff and slogans and very little substance....'Take back control' and 'oven ready deal' etc. etc. None of it really meant anything, they were just words that appealed to voters.

Even though I couldn't stand Johnson - he knew how to use media PR stuff, like this England flag colour topic for example, to his advantage. Starmer also understands how this will appeal too.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Nike is a USA company so a company manufacturing anything American should f uck around with the Stars and Stripes. If this was done there would be absolute uproar as the Americans love their flag, their country and they national anthem.

In this country, some absolute k nobs say the St George flag is racist, and the woke brigade will do everything to rock the boat. If two gays want to swing from the lamp shades then that's up to them but rainbow this and rainbow that - keep it out of football FFS! What next pink tennis balls at Wimbledon?

The Government should have some balls and demand this flag is flown from every government/council building and if someone does not like it - they can resign or live elsewhere!
    I live in London, with every race, religion, nationality you can think of. And I mix with a lot of different people. I don't know anyone who is offended by our flag. In fact, I reckon absolutely nobody reading this post will know anyone who is offended by our flag.

There might be a very small number of people in the country who are, and the press always seem to find them and amplify their voices. To provoke outrage like this. These people who are offended are such a small minority, it's not worth thinking about.

I genuinely think there's more to worry about than changing the colour of the flag - and the price of the kit is a good start.

I would genuinely rather the topic of political conversation be more about how we can improve the standard of living in this country, instead of what colour a flag is on the back of a football shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I live in London, with every race, religion, nationality you can think of. And I mix with a lot of different people. I don't know anyone who is offended by our flag. In fact, I reckon absolutely nobody reading this post will know anyone who is offended by our flag.

There might be a very small number of people in the country who are, and the press always seem to find them and amplify their voices. To provoke outrage like this. These people who are offended are such a small minority, it's not worth thinking about.

I genuinely think there's more to worry about than changing the colour of the flag - and the price of the kit is a good start.

I would genuinely rather the topic of political conversation be more about how we can improve the standard of living in this country, instead of what colour a flag is on the back of a football shirt.
    I agree but charity starts at home!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Cheapening even further a piece of tat costing £5 max to produce.
    OMG just seen on the news it’s £125!! That my friends is an absolute shocking disgrace

According to a guy who was the European director at Nike it's the FA who are in control of what's on the shirt, and yes I agree £125 for football shirt is beyond ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    According to a guy who was the European director at Nike it's the FA who are in control of what's on the shirt, and yes I agree £125 for football shirt is beyond ridiculous.

I’ve worked in the sports trade for 33, years WCV, he’s talking b o l l o x.

When the world’s largest sports brand pays out tens and hundreds of millions of £’s in long terms sponsorship THEY call the shots.

Literally nobody at the FA will have come up with this ridiculous idea, nobody!

Nike will have put a series of options to the FA and the FA will have chosen from those options……that’s it, that’s how this works.

In the USA at the moment there’s a lot a kickback against Nike in regards to NFL clubs they’ve gained the rights to, too much messing around with tradition which NFL fans hate.

Nike enjoy the free coverage in the media, no need in bars news as far as Nike is concerned.

It was the same when they sponsored the Oregon Project with known drug dodging coach Alberto Salazar……Nike have plenty of “previous” in this regard.

A horrible brand, no scruples, hated in the sports trade……….driven by pure greed.

£125 for a t-shirt. I really hope sales become an all time low - and a point to make to Nike that they shouldn’t change things to how they see fit.

In other news.. Southgate really being approached by United? Is Dan Ashworth behind this? Who the hell will want him. Not that i’m complaining but I hope he goes before the tournament starts - he’s feck in useless.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    £125 for a t-shirt. I really hope sales become an all time low - and a point to make to Nike that they shouldn’t change things to how they see fit.

In other news.. Southgate really being approached by United? Is Dan Ashworth behind this? Who the hell will want him. Not that i’m complaining but I hope he goes before the tournament starts - he’s feck in useless.
    £125 for the full kit Regis.

Tempted?

😏🤣🤣🤣

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)