+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Friendlies

Play amongst themselves behind closed doors. No one gives a stuff. Complete borefest

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    Play amongst themselves behind closed doors. No one gives a stuff. Complete borefest
    Can you remember Kevin, the character by Harry Enfield from years ago? You remind me of him. Huh, I don't care. Huh, so booooring! Don't fecking watch it then.

It'll be a tame affair but I'll still watch it, as will millions of others. Why? Because it's a game of football and I'm interested in England. I want to see how we set up, see how individual players perform, listen to what the manager has to say and yeah...maybe even get a little bit excited for the Euros, despite it all being in the context of a friendly.

I get it though, Rotherham aren't playing so nothing else to whinge about.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
    Can you remember Kevin, the character by Harry Enfield from years ago? You remind me of him. Huh, I don't care. Huh, so booooring! Don't fecking watch it then.

It'll be a tame affair but I'll still watch it, as will millions of others. Why? Because it's a game of football and I'm interested in England. I want to see how we set up, see how individual players perform, listen to what the manager has to say and yeah...maybe even get a little bit excited for the Euros, despite it all being in the context of a friendly.

I get it though, Rotherham aren't playing so nothing else to whinge about.
    It's being shown live here on Fox's main broadcast channel so it must be a big game to get airtime as we approach NBA/NHL playoffs and are in the midst of March Madness college basketball with every game on TV

The reason there are friendlies being played is because there are still euro qualifying matches ,so some players wouldn't be available for their clubs,so hence an international break.
    But make it about money if you want.
    Plus I'm sure if England didn't play these type of games, plenty of people would moan about poor preparation for a major tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    The reason there are friendlies being played is because there are still euro qualifying matches ,so some players wouldn't be available for their clubs,so hence an international break.
    Plus I'm sure if England didn't play these type of games, plenty of people would moan about poor preparation for a major tournament.
    Hard to prepare though when the team is made up of reserves and the regular players don't want to bust a gut stopping them from playing in cup finals both at home and abroad

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    The reason isn't specifically because the euro play-offs are happening, it's because international matches have been part of the football calendar in March for absolutely YEARS. Have a look at England's past fixtures. Whether it be back to back friendlies, Euro or World Cup qualifiers, we've played in March every single year for 12 years, the only exception being Covid 2020.

Agree with the last point.

Personally giving a few squad players a run out isn’t such a bad thing in these games . We all know what Kane , Saka and co are about, so why not let some young (fringe) lads gain some experience . Isnt that what friendlies are supposed to be about, the squad . Btw we can’t get away from playing these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
    The reason isn't specifically because the euro play-offs are happening, it's because international matches have been part of the football calendar in March for absolutely YEARS. Have a look at England's past fixtures. Whether it be back to back friendlies, Euro or World Cup qualifiers, we've played in March every single year for 12 years, the only exception being Covid 2020.

Agree with the last point.
    I know that Helio, but some people think it's just about 💰,and this break there is actually a reason for it other than some sort of tradition.

Doesn’t do much for the good old carbon footprint, all of this unnecessary travel

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Doesn’t do much for the good old carbon footprint, all of this unnecessary travel
    Serious question Grist, you seem to have utter contempt and dislike for every single aspect of modern football yet seemingly spend the majority of your waking life talking about it on a message board, why is that?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast