+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cobblers v Rams

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

RA is just one defeat away from slashing his wrists and continues to harbour doubts about both Warne's coaching, tactics and player recruitment. Yet Derby remain for now in 2nd place and the league table doesn't lie.

I read online that Rotherham fans were saying they wouldn't want Warne back, yet they are seem destined for L1 without him. For me its horses for courses and at this level Warne fits the bill.
    No I’m not…it’s football…not real life.

But yes I do…it won’t be the ‘end of the world’ for me if Derby don’t go up but, on a football level, I do ‘harbour doubts about Warne’s tactics and player recruitment’. Further more you said, back in October I think, that you had reservations about Warne as a Championship manager.

You seem to be reiterating that by saying ‘at this level Warne fits the bill’ and Rotherham fans were always destined for L1 WITH him. Yes he took them up but the only time they stayed up was without him.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-03-2024 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    No I’m not…it’s football…not real life.

But yes I do…it won’t be the ‘end of the world’ for me if Derby don’t go up but, on a football level, I do ‘harbour doubts about Warne’s tactics and player recruitment’. Further more you said, back in October I think, that you had reservations about Warne as a Championship manager.

You seem to be reiterating that by saying ‘at this level Warne fits the bill’ and Rotherham fans were always destined for L1 WITH him. Yes he took them up but the only time they stayed up was without him.
    I was being a little tongue in cheek, though your posts do get a wee bit pessimistic whenever we lose and despite where we are, as I said, I sense your not convinced by Warne.

Indeed I do wonder about his credentials as a championship manager, partly because he has no track record as such, though in mitigation Rotherham have rarely had the resources to make a decent fist of it. Also the season they stayed up they were 8th when he left for us and it was his team that he had recruited, all on free transfers or loans, so by the logic you used re Rosenior he takes some of the credit. I just find it funny that Rotherham fans expect somehow that any manager would do better on the resources they have available and they are certainly heading for L1 at the moment.

Back in October I also said I was confident he'd get us top 6 at least by the end of the season, which after all was the reason he was recruited as Derby manager.

Hopefully we shall see next season whether he has got what it takes with a little more funds available.

I was being a little tongue in cheek, though your posts do get a wee bit pessimistic whenever we lose and despite where we are, as I said, I sense your not convinced by Warne.

Indeed I do wonder about his credentials as a championship manager, partly because he has no track record as such, though in mitigation Rotherham have rarely had the resources to make a decent fist of it. Also the season they stayed up they were 8th when he left for us and it was his team that he had recruited, all on free transfers or loans, so by the logic you used re Rosenior he takes some of the credit. I just find it funny that Rotherham fans expect somehow that any manager would do better on the resources they have available and they are certainly heading for L1 at the moment.

Back in October I also said I was confident he'd get us top 6 at least by the end of the season, which after all was the reason he was recruited as Derby manager.

Hopefully we shall see next season whether he has got what it takes with a little more funds available.
    Tbf…it’s not just ‘whenever we lose’. My ‘wee bit’ of pessimism isn’t based on results alone…it’s based on the nature of the performance which in the last three matches - none of which I’ve seen - appears to have been, respectively, lucky, fortunate and shockingly poor…and our current injury situation which is partly horribly unlucky (Gayle, Fozzy and now NML) and partly very predictable (Washington, Waghorn and JJ)…imo.

I do have reservations about Warne, and not just at Championship level. Now however is not the time to voice them and I have never been someone who shouts negative comments at players or the management team from the stands, least of all when there remains everything to play for. Getting us in the top 6 isn’t though the ‘reason he was recruited as Derby manager’ imo. Getting us UP is the reason, and repeatedly stated aim, and he has been (relatively) heavily financially backed this season to achieve that.

The time to judge is at the end of the season. My feelings at the moment are that I have found some of the formations and selections very puzzling and the signings very ‘hit and miss’. I’m not sure Warne has been as deprived of resources as you make out - who else at this level could have added Adams and Gayle not to mention the £300k plus for CBT at the mid way point - but, despite the continued roller coaster of disappointment you are right to point out that we remain 2nd and are virtually nailed on for the play offs at least…so all still to play for.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-03-2024 at 07:02 AM.

To be fair AF you have described most performances as below par, you've seen more games than I have first hand, I've seen 7 and wouldn't describe any of the football as scintillating, but its about what I expect at this level and with the players we have, which though better than most in L1 are still lets not forget a bunch of free transfers.

RA is just one defeat away from slashing his wrists and continues to harbour doubts about both Warne's coaching, tactics and player recruitment. Yet Derby remain for now in 2nd place and the league table doesn't lie.

I read online that Rotherham fans were saying they wouldn't want Warne back, yet they are seem destined for L1 without him. For me its horses for courses and at this level Warne fits the bill.
    My below par is in comparison to last year, skewed I will admit by the performance of one player having his best ever season

I didn’t actually mention Warne, I personally don’t warm to him but if he gets us promotion that will be irrelevant. His recruits have taken longer than most of us expected (and maybe him to) to have impact, CBT being a mystery and Bradley just a bad choice, both purely imo

But I’m not panicking (yet)

There's nowt to panic about, we'll either go up or not!
    Either way I want to see us playing some decent stuff, Posh showed its possible at this level! Yes, it may take a few seasons but it will pay off in the end.
    I've not seen many live games this season, some on Sky and 3 on Rams TV at my neighbours house, but I can only remember one where I enjoyed the way we played. Yes, it's a means to an end to get up but, for me we will need a major, and quick, overhaul if we do go up and that won't be that easy.
    So, if we go up great but if not so be it. Either way, with or without Warne, start the rebuild in May aiming for a youngish vibrant squad who can play a bit and don't **** themselves when someone passes the ball to them. We will reap the benefit in the long run.

I honestly don't care about the way we play football, it's a luxury unless we're in the Prem. We played pretty football for the best part of the last 10 years, and achieved nothing. Winning football is all we need, or at least, all I desire. I get bored watching us stroke the ball around, watching the centre backs playing 1-2s for 90 mins, all for a 1-1 draw. Unless we have the best talent, then the respective manager will just have to get the best out of the players he has, and sometimes that means playing ugly.

Tbf…it’s not just ‘whenever we lose’. My ‘wee bit’ of pessimism isn’t based on results alone…it’s based on the nature of the performance which in the last three matches - none of which I’ve seen - appears to have been, respectively, lucky, fortunate and shockingly poor…and our current injury situation which is partly horribly unlucky (Gayle, Fozzy and now NML) and partly very predictable (Washington, Waghorn and JJ)…imo.

I do have reservations about Warne, and not just at Championship level. Now however is not the time to voice them and I have never been someone who shouts negative comments at players or the management team from the stands, least of all when there remains everything to play for. Getting us in the top 6 isn’t though the ‘reason he was recruited as Derby manager’ imo. Getting us UP is the reason, and repeatedly stated aim, and he has been (relatively) heavily financially backed this season to achieve that.

The time to judge is at the end of the season. My feelings at the moment are that I have found some of the formations and selections very puzzling and the signings very ‘hit and miss’. I’m not sure Warne has been as deprived of resources as you make out - who else at this level could have added Adams and Gayle not to mention the £300k plus for CBT at the mid way point - but, despite the continued roller coaster of disappointment you are right to point out that we remain 2nd and are virtually nailed on for the play offs at least…so all still to play for.
    I wouldn't have expected you to be shouting negative comments from the stands, but its obviously different to discussing such matters on here. I'd agree that some formations and selections seem strange, but of course we neither know the managers thoughts or a players form or fitness, so one needs to be circumspect. I've queried the 3 at the back strategy, but then we seem to win more games than we lose using it.

Surely lucky and fortunate are the same thing? Mm I keep seeing reading this Derby were lucky to.... yet the league table doesn't lie and being 2nd at this stage of the season isn't down to pure luck, I mean that's stretching credulity a bit far, a team doesn't grind out results on luck alone.

The other teams at this level who have spent money, include Peterborough - £1.17 million, plus 4 "undisclosed" fees and a loan fee in excess of £500k for the season.

Portsmouth £90K and 6 "undisclosed" fees Bolton £1.18 million and 2 undisclosed.

Derby, have paid £350K, plus unknown fees for Fornah, Washington and Wilson - though Wilson came through Knight's sale. I doubt the other 2 exceed another £300k together.

There is a wage cap in play compared with what other clubs in L1 could pay as well, so yes Warne has operate on reduced resources and Derby's team has not been built up over a number of seasons or had the benefit of academy players to bring through.

Yes your right Warne was appointed to get Derby promoted, but as any realistic football fan knows, whether that happens can come down to factors beyond the control of the manager. Injuries being just one of them. The minimum expectation is that the manager builds a competitive team with a realistic chance of promotion and Warne's done that and improved on last season.

Roller coaster of disappointment? WTF? On the basis Derby haven't pissed the league and now don't sit 10 pts clear with promotion a certainty?

I mean come on, we have climbed steadily up the table since before Christmas and have been 2nd for a good while. IMO your expectations are beyond what is realistic.
    Last edited by swaledale; 25-03-2024 at 05:55 PM.

I have reservations about Warne, I like him, but not sure, however I'm ok with where we are, I'd give him another season if we don't go up, and if we do I think he deserves a crack at the championship.

We were mostly happy getting promoted under Davies with pretty dire football so I'll be happy if we go up playing warnes style.

I'd love us to go up playing like we did under Burley or Steve in 2013/14 but id rather go up Davies style than stay down.

I wouldn't have expected you to be shouting negative comments from the stands, but its obviously different to discussing such matters on here. I'd agree that some formations and selections seem strange, but of course we neither know the managers thoughts or a players form or fitness, so one needs to be circumspect. I've queried the 3 at the back strategy, but then we seem to win more games than we lose using it.

Surely lucky and fortunate are the same thing? Mm I keep seeing reading this Derby were lucky to.... yet the league table doesn't lie and being 2nd at this stage of the season isn't down to pure luck, I mean that's stretching credulity a bit far, a team doesn't grind out results on luck alone.

The other teams at this level who have spent money, include Peterborough - £1.17 million, plus 4 "undisclosed" fees and a loan fee in excess of £500k for the season.

Portsmouth £90K and 6 "undisclosed" fees Bolton £1.18 million and 2 undisclosed.

Derby, have paid £350K, plus unknown fees for Fornah, Washington and Wilson - though Wilson came through Knight's sale. I doubt the other 2 exceed another £300k together.

There is a wage cap in play compared with what other clubs in L1 could pay as well, so yes Warne has operate on reduced resources and Derby's team has not been built up over a number of seasons or had the benefit of academy players to bring through.

Yes your right Warne was appointed to get Derby promoted, but as any realistic football fan knows, whether that happens can come down to factors beyond the control of the manager. Injuries being just one of them. The minimum expectation is that the manager builds a competitive team with a realistic chance of promotion and Warne's done that and improved on last season.

Roller coaster of disappointment? WTF? On the basis Derby haven't pissed the league and now don't sit 10 pts clear with promotion a certainty?

I mean come on, we have climbed steadily up the table since before Christmas and have been 2nd for a good while. IMO your expectations are beyond what is realistic.
    The ‘roller coaster of disappointment’…just a reference to the way in which Derby repeatedly get themselves into a good position only to fail to build on the foundations and take advantage…aka, ‘The Derby Way’. Nothing to do with ‘pissing the league and being 10 points clear’, I’ve never expected or suggested that.

Not sure how you can describe my expectations as ‘beyond what is realistic’. They’re the same as yours - and the majority’s - were before the Northampton match…to build on a four point lead, extend to seven and go up automatically. Unfortunately, from all I’ve heard, we didn’t turn up and our injury situation has worsened. Now we’re under pressure again on Friday and that’s not something we seem to handle very well.

The ‘roller coaster of disappointment’…just a reference to the way in which Derby repeatedly get themselves into a good position only to fail to build on the foundations and take advantage…aka, ‘The Derby Way’. Nothing to do with ‘pissing the league and being 10 points clear’, I’ve never expected or suggested that.

Not sure how you can describe my expectations as ‘beyond what is realistic’. They’re the same as yours - and the majority’s - were before the Northampton match…to build on a four point lead, extend to seven and go up automatically. Unfortunately, from all I’ve heard, we didn’t turn up and our injury situation has worsened. Now we’re under pressure again on Friday and that’s not something we seem to handle very well.
    My expectations as I've consistently said all season is that Derby will finish in the top 6. I hope we get automatic promotion and I am disappointed with the loss to Northampton, but I didn't expect Derby to not drop more pts between now and the end of the season, so on that score maybe I'm more of a realist?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)