+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Raith

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I've said it all season we are poor in front of goal, seems bit crazy given the goal difference, but neither watt, grieve or Middleton are goalscorers you would bank on taking a big opportunity. Look at chance Middleton had last minute of first game at Raith, watt had early v Raith last time, got to take those chances. Moult is closest we've got to a goalscorer, has come up with some good and important goals past couple of months, but even he has had shocking misses v Arbroath and Dunfermline, and rarely notches more than a single. Fotheringham has an eye for goal, but off boil and doesn't contribute as much at moment.

Raith seem to have clutch players that often deliver at crucial moments, given how tight their matches are. I'd even suggest they have more dangerous options off bench. Grieve brings nothing sorry, wetherspoon might if fit, but therein lies problem.

Defence was what got us where we are, but becoming a liability, not helped by Goodwins choices last week at full back.
    Agree with this, especially the first sentence. I counted 2 sitters and 2 other really good chances missed on Saturday. Moult missed a sitter at East End, we had 3 or 4 really great chances at Starks and missed them all. The only thing the front players should be training on this week is finishing. If the front four are on their game and they can finish the great chances, bury the sitters etc we’ll win. The problem we have though is, that on all known form since New Year’s Day, they wont be able to do that.

I would like to say i was sitting here with a bag full of positivity, but i rather think im resigned to the fact that we are not going anywhere near the top flight, either by wining the league, and definitely not by the play-offs. It seems to be a 3rd quarter ritual where our form falls through the floor, but that usually shows signs of revival during may, and i just dont see it happening consistently enough.

Most arabs i know personally are absolutely scunnered with what the players are putting out on the pitch and have no expectations that, a, we beat Raith, and b, go on to win the league! Honestly never seen so little hope about the club!

As for the team, Walton is a given, but as you move forward, Holt seems to be giving concern for the season, never mind this game. After last weekend, i doubt even Shedka could come up with a reason to play Grimshaw ahead of Thomson, and how long are we without McMann? Fingers crossed that the best midfielders in the league make this as they are needed more than ever, but due to injuries and form, who plays around them? Does the experiment with a more advanced Tillson return, does one or the other out of Mochrie and Meekieson get a chance, and out wide, i think its only Kai and Cudjoe remaining if Middleton and Thomson are needed elsewhere.

So.....

Walton,
    Thomson, Gallagher, Graham, Middleton,
    Docherty, Sibbald,
    Kai, Mochrie, Watt,
    Moult.

Just fecking give it a go boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    I would like to say i was sitting here with a bag full of positivity, but i rather think im resigned to the fact that we are not going anywhere near the top flight, either by wining the league, and definitely not by the play-offs. It seems to be a 3rd quarter ritual where our form falls through the floor, but that usually shows signs of revival during may, and i just dont see it happening consistently enough.

Most arabs i know personally are absolutely scunnered with what the players are putting out on the pitch and have no expectations that, a, we beat Raith, and b, go on to win the league! Honestly never seen so little hope about the club!

As for the team, Walton is a given, but as you move forward, Holt seems to be giving concern for the season, never mind this game. After last weekend, i doubt even Shedka could come up with a reason to play Grimshaw ahead of Thomson, and how long are we without McMann? Fingers crossed that the best midfielders in the league make this as they are needed more than ever, but due to injuries and form, who plays around them? Does the experiment with a more advanced Tillson return, does one or the other out of Mochrie and Meekieson get a chance, and out wide, i think its only Kai and Cudjoe remaining if Middleton and Thomson are needed elsewhere.

So.....

Walton,
    Thomson, Gallagher, Graham, Middleton,
    Docherty, Sibbald,
    Kai, Mochrie, Watt,
    Moult.

Just fecking give it a go boys!
    The negativity is understandable and the lack of expectation too.
    But football has a habit of surprising, can our lads surprise us with a result few of us are expecting.
    Raith will definitely be encouraged by our poor form, Murray will tell them to keep it tight and hope our fans turn on the team. They'll be confident and they'll try to niggle us.
    Looks like we'll be missing Holt, Wotherspoon and maybe also McMann. Louis seems to be playing through a slight injury concern too.
    Somehow Goodwin needs to get a siege mentality going but I've seen no evidence that he's capable of it. Maybe the players can do it for themselves.
    If we can somehow win this the advantage is back with us.
    No issues with your lineup Chick. But if we start Thomson at RB he has to defend and not rush ahead leaving big spaces in behind. Goodwin obviously prefers Mochrie to Meekison, from what little I've seen of Meekison he looks more capable of opening up defences. If we finally start to convert simple chances who knows...
    C'mon United 🧡

Before Saturday (so the 6 games since we last played them) Rovers form over the last 6 matches was the same as ours. So yeah, including Saturday, our form is marginally worse than theirs. This is why I think this is going all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Before Saturday (so the 6 games since we last played them) Rovers form over the last 6 matches was the same as ours. So yeah, including Saturday, our form is marginally worse than theirs. This is why I think this is going all the way.
    I would say that during the January window Raith strengthened their squad and we weakened ours.What makes it. worse is Goodwin either can't see this or does not want to admit he has phucked up. He keeps playing loan players that are simply not good enough to get us up.Don't get me wrong there are plenty of our own players who come into that category too but adding more shyte to the pot is a recipe for disaster.

Has anybody checked in on Skedka? Don’t think he’s been seen or posted since he posted about Todd Grimshaw being brilliant in his rightful position of right full back , hopefully he’s okay

I said in January..if we weren't getting in a pacy direct attacking player, then we needed to get a coach in to work with our strikers. We have gone from being a team that started the season by scoring plenty goals...into a team where even managing to get a shot on target seems impossible. Out of the last 8 games, I don't think there has been a single game where one of our forwards hasn't had a guilt edged opportunity to score and not even managed to hit the target. Far too many players are just putting in the minimum and are hiding in games. They are never willing to gamble or mix it up and that has to come down to being overcoached. The players play with no freedom or creativity. Goodwin doesn't trust the players and the players are now playing with the shackles on. Raith will 100% feel like they have us on the ropes...and we are once again looking like the same frail team that ended last season with a whimper. We need leaders on the pitch but instead I think we have a group of players that are just assuming that they are gonna be alright. I can't believe that for a team that are sitting top of the league, we are almost resigned to not winning it!

...and obviously, the team will get the full backing of our tremendous support and will do until it is decided one way or another,but how long can the club keep asking for patience from the fans? We have been let down at every turn and it's only a matter of time before the fans get p1ssed off and don't come back.

Thing is we’ve all seen it for months. Oppo managers and coaches will see it as well. They know we are ponderous in our build up play and can therefore regroup in plenty time. Limiting us to hopeful balls floated into the box which plays into most of the giant central defenders hands in this league.

Was hoping that by now we’d have figured a way to mix it up between the wide and through the middle plays. However every single routine is precisely the same until desperation kicks in.

When you watch them in training it’s exactly the same tho!

I remember reading an interview with Luggy about his time at United where he said he had asked advice from SAF about his underperforming team, who were sinking fast after a horrendous run of results. SAF advised him to forget playing his most ‘talented’ players and play the ones who will dig in give their all for each other to get results. Quite what that team would look like from this bunch is hard to imagine but I get the principle. Too many players on the books just now who expect it to just happen.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)