+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Straw poll: Maynard in or out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Both Leicester and Ipswich's managers have extensive coaching experience at higher levels. May not have been the number 1 but Kieran McKenna was Man Utds assistant manager and Marasca was Pep's number 2.

Bit different than being a BT engineer and looking after a part time club
    You never know though how anyone will do as a manager until they are given the keys to the door.

Look at Alex Ferguson all of his assistants got great jobs and all of them failed.....tells me Fergie was good and pulled the strings!

Luck does play a part too of course but Maynard did walk into a club in a good place usually you'd take over with us near the drop zone.

Look, I'm convinced if Luke or even Jim was in charge against Salford we would have battered them.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Look, I'm convinced if Luke or even Jim was in charge against Salford we would have battered them.
    I think we would have beaten them if i was in charge. You dont win matches playing your best player(s) out of position.. He did the same after the Newport game..

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    You never know though how anyone will do as a manager until they are given the keys to the door.

Look at Alex Ferguson all of his assistants got great jobs and all of them failed.....tells me Fergie was good and pulled the strings!

Luck does play a part too of course but Maynard did walk into a club in a good place usually you'd take over with us near the drop zone.
    This was my point really, the 2 I mentioned hadn’t any real experience of being No1s and you never know like you say till they actually do it. Who were Notts going to really get, for me it was either:

Someone who was doing well the league below (SM)
    Someone who had mainly been a no2 at a higher level (LW)
    Or someone off the merrygoaround, a Gary Bowyer type.
    There was no overwhelming consensus on here regarding a name. We were never going to get a L1 manager doing well and even trying to get someone like Peter Width would have been a challenge from this league.
    It’s clearly not working at the moment but the owners have to find the truth as if the players are actually enjoying working under SM, the stats however they do it suggest we have been unlucky xg wise etc and where he’s highlighting weaknesses they believe it also, then maybe he has a chance, alternatively it might just be a car crash behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    This was my point really, the 2 I mentioned hadn’t any real experience of being No1s and you never know like you say till they actually do it. Who were Notts going to really get, for me it was either:

Someone who had mainly been a no2 at a higher level (LW)
    Or someone off the merrygoaround, a Gary Bowyer type.
    There was no overwhelming consensus on here regarding a name. We were never going to get a L1 manager doing well and even trying to get someone like Peter Width would have been a challenge from this league.
    It’s clearly not working at the moment but the owners have to find the truth as if the players are actually enjoying working under SM, the stats however they do it suggest we have been unlucky xg wise etc and where he’s highlighting weaknesses they believe it also, then maybe he has a chance, alternatively it might just be a car crash behind the scenes.
    Then the board needs to come out and say this then. I know many people who bought a season ticket this season who are waiting for SM to get the boot until they consider renewing.

The stats may back him, but the eye test says that the football now is boring and turgid. I suspect he'll be gone when the initial season tickets are released and they are way down

It's not all about stats though is it? We are losing virtually every game, the manager isn't convincing in any regard and the players are having "lapses in concentration" and making "individual errors" - the single biggest error was Maynard's appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    It's not all about stats though is it? We are losing virtually every game, the manager isn't convincing in any regard and the players are having "lapses in concentration" and making "individual errors" - the single biggest error was Maynard's appointment.
    It’s not but it’s the truest way to know how the team is performing. I would say away he has done pretty well, on another day we could have won at Mansfield and Wrexham but the home forms obviously horrific, feels like we just need to go a bit more gung-ho at home. I can’t see him lasting, I want him to do well, he needs to get some results to get fans on side and as you say ticket sales too.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Was 13th doing well in a league where we got over 100 points? If you were looking at someone who did well in the NL, his old boss Dean Brennan, who got Wealdstone into the NL in the first place, would have been a better bet. He still has Barnet in 2nd, and that is 'well', not 13th.

Not that he would have been my choice either. We need someone with EFL experience, like LW had at Swindon. I am sure there would have been people like that who applied, although it suits some to think of the worst possible example to demonstrate the 'merry-go-round'

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819