+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Straw poll: Maynard in or out?

I don’t believe you have to get someone who necessarily has EFL experience or a proven winner as that’s going to be fairly impossible anyway as they are unlikely to be taking L2 jobs. Both Leicester and Ipswich’s manager had next to no experience in managing men’s teams, for me it’s just getting the right person.

If we could choose and the only options were Maynard or Burchnall, which way would you go?

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    If we could choose and the only options were Maynard or Burchnall, which way would you go?
    Burchnall every time, he wasn’t too bad and has hopefully learnt a lot in the last two years

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I think it might be because he had fantastic success at Notts, has a great track record including Premiership management, is renowned for his man motivation and is convincing in media opportunities. In fairness, I think the Brothers might be the last owners he would want to work for!
    Exactly, any mention of Warnock is totally pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I dont really think that Maynard was the cheap option has many have said.i think the brothers truly believe he was the correct replacement with the potential to improve himself and the club.Ok it may seem to be a mistake but that's the way it goes. You win some and lose some and they have plenty of pluses in the bank.They have made many more correct decisions than wrong so far.
    Agreed. I don't think The Bros made the appointment based on cost. The model is about bringing in players and managers who can thrive based on their model. Burchnall and LW did enough to enable them to move on, though one was far more successful than the other. You cannot always make great appointments. I do think Notts had made too much progress for someone like Maynard to be appointed. The Bros should've been able to see that to get out of this division, a hybrid of the model is required. Yes, keep playing the football that has seen crowds building at ML. However, it also requires a manager who knows what league football is all about. Someone who understands the cynicism of teams, the physical and mental requirements. Importantly someone who commands as LW did, the respect of his players.. I'm not saying they don't respect SM. He has yet to demonstrate he can cope at this level. The fans expectations are always going to be high. I do wonder what The Bros expectations were and how they are feeling. They are definitely not the type to panic and make quick decisions but they must balance that against the effect on players wanting to be here next year under SM and season ticket sales.
    Do they still see him as the long term.solution? If not, he should go now. No point waiting til the season end. Appoint JOB and Didzy as interim, with a view of getting someone in before the end of May. Before players contracts expire and there is time to influence the likes of Jones, Langstaff, Crowley who could be subject to offers.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-03-2024 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We dont want anymore none league part timers. We need someone with EFL experience...
    Andy Woodman , ain't a part time manager though is he.
    438 plus FL appearances and his son is Freddie Woodman so he knows about GK'S and coaching GK'S , which would likely be advantageous to Notts.
    He has been AM at Rushden & Diamonds and coached at Arsenal, Crystal Palace , WHU , Charlton Ath & Newcastle.
    His record at Bromley speaks for itself and he's definitely more experienced in the Pro game than our current Head Coach and his team.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I dont really think that Maynard was the cheap option has many have said..

I can't imagine any manager of any club higher in the pyramid than Wealdstone would have been demanding higher wages and compensation, he was literally part time and for that reason it's doubtful he was able to afford an agent able to intimidate clubs into paying over the odds either.

Any agent worth his fee, if he had one, would have made sure Notts committed long term with no easy swift get out clause over the fact he was taking a massive risk in giving up his day job, you'd think that would have been their best and most risk free bargaining tool, with Notts then offering less in terms of longer term bonuses in return, thinking they were on to a good deal in the expectation he would deliver - just as their stats told them he would.

It could be that Maynard happens to be well connected agent wise, or is highly skilled at doing deals himself, or was able to find somebody new to represent him for this purpose on a no win no fee type of basis, but looking from the outside and from what we know (the rumour that he has months), I'd guess Maynard was about as cheap an appointment as you could possibly get without stooping down to tier 6 or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I can't imagine any manager of any club higher in the pyramid than Wealdstone would have been demanding higher wages and compensation, he was literally part time and for that reason it's doubtful he was able to afford an agent able to intimidate clubs into paying over the odds either.

Any agent worth his fee, if he had one, would have made sure Notts committed long term with no easy swift get out clause over the fact he was taking a massive risk in giving up his day job, you'd think that would have been their best and most risk free bargaining tool, with Notts then offering less in terms of longer term bonuses in return, thinking they were on to a good deal in the expectation he would deliver - just as their stats told them he would.

It could be that Maynard happens to be well connected agent wise, or is highly skilled at doing deals himself, or was able to find somebody new to represent him for this purpose on a no win no fee type of basis, but looking from the outside and from what we know (the rumour that he has months), I'd guess Maynard was about as cheap an appointment as you could possibly get without stooping down to tier 6 or lower.
    Maynard got the job because of his kind comments about Notts County last season, I can't really see any other reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Maynard got the job because of his kind comments about Notts County last season, I can't really see any other reason for it.
    I typed "demanding higher" instead of "demanding lower", but it has to be obvious to all that Wealdstone are as small a club that we could possibly poach a manager from without taking the absolute pee out of supporters.

Can't for the life of me think of any other reason than he was a low cost to the club gamble. Yes, his philosophy was the same as LW, so that must have ticked a box, but his lack of experience should have been a flashing alarm (no disrespect to the man at all, kudos for giving it a shot!!). I am genuinely disappointed that it doesn't seem to have worked out.
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 27-03-2024 at 06:25 PM.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast