Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
I only watched highlights of the Belgium match but I thought we looked decent going forward.

But dear oh dear, our defence!

Pickford and Dunk wouldn’t get in my old Sunday side with their howlers tonight.

We need our best 11 on the pitch for the Euros, too many of these squad fillers are not up to the job, especially the defenders.

Well played Bowen and young Mainoo though, that kid looks very promising.

The sooner we get Henderson back in the better though, we don’t want to risk finding another young gem.
Watched both games and England certainly showed more intent last night than they did against Brazil where-to use your own words-they looked like they played too much with the handbrake on. I felt that there were some good performances and some very good passages of play, especially going forward where they played with more freedom than in the Brazil match. Bellingham (despite a few uncharacteristic errors) is a joy to watch but agree that Bowen played well and Mainoo looks very promising.

I know that clangers from Pickford and Dunk led to their goals but it does feel like forever now that England are good going forward but cannot replicate this quality defensively. We make too many errors at the back and whilst we can get away with some of these against lesser teams, the likes of Brazil and Belgium amongst others will punish us for it. Luckily, Bellingham managed to spare too many blushes in the end but if we are to find success in any international tournament this weakness needs sorting. Not sure if the problem lies more with individuals (whilst Maguire makes too many errors and neither Chilwell nor Dunk convince me , Walker and Stones generally look pretty solid) or tactics (playing out from the back always demands greater quality and awareness)?

As an aside, I didn't catch any of the Republic of Ireland match but they clearly struggled to get into the game and that included Mikey Johnston who was subbed at 57 minutes. He clearly has talent and the set up at Albion and how Corberan uses him obviously suits him but he seems to struggle elsewhere. Is he one of those players who can only really shine in a particular set up ?