+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Biggest Mistake The Club's Made In Recent Times

Biggest Mistake The Club's Made In Recent Times

Yes I know there are many candidates but personally the decisions made the summer Stendel took us back to the championship were in my opinion the biggest of the lot .

Breaking that team up and losing Pinnock , Lindsay , Moore and Davies was an opportunity missed to establish ourselves at championship level .

That team in my opinion would have adapted to championship football like a duck to water , just look at where the majority of that team ended up if it had been kept together .

Moore , Woodrow , Jacob Brown and Pinnock play in the Premier League or have played in the Premier League .

Mowatt and Lindsay are solid championship players and even Cam Mac and Cavare have played at a decent level in European football .

With two or three additions that squad could have really kicked on .

Don't forget the selling of Stendel's promotion key players was done to provide funds for " the best transfer window in the history of Barnsley FC" that summer---Schmidt, Wilks, Ritzmaier, Bahre, Diaby etc.

The core mistake in recent times
    was to allow the New York Investor Group (inclusive of JAQ's husband) to appoint a Mr Paul Conway as their representative giving him effective control over the club and transfers. We will soon find out if any "proper person" due diligence was done on members of that Group or of Conway in the EFL findings.

Pinnock and Morris have proved to be effective at a higher level.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 24-03-2024 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Yes I know there are many candidates but personally the decisions made the summer Stendel took us back to the championship were in my opinion the biggest of the lot .

Breaking that team up and losing Pinnock , Lindsay , Moore and Davies was an opportunity missed to establish ourselves at championship level .

That team in my opinion would have adapted to championship football like a duck to water , just look at where the majority of that team ended up if it had been kept together .

Moore , Woodrow , Jacob Brown and Pinnock play in the Premier League or have played in the Premier League .

Mowatt and Lindsay are solid championship players and even Cam Mac and Cavare have played at a decent level in European football .

With two or three additions that squad could have really kicked on .
    I agree with you all the way , all very good players who surely would have cemented us in the championship ,but I do not think it was totally the clubs fault as all these players will have attracted suitors & all these players will have had agents who could see the pound note signs as clear as day and personally I believe that agents are the biggest scourge in the game and will certainly have played a big part in us losing some of these players, like Rotherham and a few others we cannot pay the big bucks in the championship & will always struggle to hang on to our prize assets .

The worst decision for me was the West Stand closure and the bullshyte reasons behind it. It was a business decision without a seconds thought towards loyal supporters who've been sat there years. That told me all that I needed to know about the consortium.

Players leave, squads break up. We have a major overhaul of our players every season. That's how we roll but decietfulness towards our supporters is way out of line. This is why there's much doubt or trust in place in the present day

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    The worst decision for me was the West Stand closure and the bullshyte reasons behind it. It was a business decision without a seconds thought towards loyal supporters who've been sat there years. That told me all that I needed to know about the consortium.

Players leave, squads break up. We have a major overhaul of our players every season. That's how we roll but decietfulness towards our supporters is way out of line. This is why there's much doubt or trust in place in the present day
    I was one that suffered with the west stand fiasco, myself & my grandkids have cracking seats on the west just short of the half way line & were shunted across to the east stand lower down by the corner flag which is arguably one of the worst views in the ground , we hated it & after watching the reds for over 60 years my loyalty was severely tested & I would have called it a day had they not sorted it out, it left a very sour taste in my mouth , thankfully we got our seats back & have continued with our season tickets but I have not trusted our owners since ! , the statement they made saying that if we were not happy we could have our money back pushed me over the edge , 60 years of support & you get " if you don"t like it you can have your money back " , what price loyalty ! they havn"t a clue what this club means to me or others like me .
    Last edited by Shadrack the Red; 24-03-2024 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    I was one that suffered with the west stand fiasco, myself & my grandkids have cracking seats on the west just short of the half way line & were shunted across to the east stand lower down by the corner flag which is arguably one of the worst views in the ground , we hated it & after watching the reds for over 60 years my loyalty was severely tested & I would have called it a day had they not sorted it out, it left a very sour taste in my mouth , thankfully we got our seats back & have continued with our season tickets but I have not trusted our owners since ! , the statement they made saying that if we were not happy we could have our money back pushed me over the edge , 60 years of support & you get " if you don"t like it you can have your money back " , what price loyalty ! they havn"t a clue what this club means to me or others like me .
    Ah yes, mi owd mate Khaled El Ahmad. This was the time he became aware that you can't get away with attempting to pillak Barnsley folk.

He had already tarnished BFC's reputation as a proper, reliable football club by cancelling long arranged friendlies in order to fit in a game with Man City for his ex mates. Some clubs had even sold tickets for their friendlies.

Then Ahmad saw there were a few home games coming up in the near future with potential large away followings so clever Mr Ahmad wanted to move existing West Stand stewards to the North Stand. A "structural report" suddenly appeared deeming the West Stand to be unsafe requiring immediate closure. Ahmad said at the time-

"The decision is based on a structural report and a number of West Stand specific crowd management challenges"
    "The safety and security of staff is of the utmost importance. I made a promise to both staff and fans alike to be transparent regardless of how difficult the news is to share" (cough)

About 1000 ST holders were moved to other parts of the ground and stewards redeployed to the North Stand.

It all began to unravel when Ahmad tried to involve Barnsley Council (then 50% owners) and they denied any knowledge of any structural issues requiring closure on safety grounds and the areas deemed unsafe were being filled with press, media, visiting VIP's, complementary ticket holders.

A few weeks later the ST holders were back in their seats with no sign of any structural work having been done.

Then Ahmad moved on to agreeing a new sponsorship deal with crypto firm Hex.Com and hexagons appeared on shirts...........

Yes, Ahmad was a big mistake.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 25-03-2024 at 07:18 AM.

Patrick Crynes hand was forced but the biggest mistake by far was selling the majority shareholding to the group of scheisters we have now.

None of the other issues would exist without their involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post

Fully agree Pass after 60 years supporting and this club threw us out of the stand and yet to this day no true explanation or apology given.
    We’ve have always known we are a selling club with hero’s leaving and yet more arrive, a fact I’ve always accepted being a small club.

These people have thrown me out (two season tickets) as a paying customer so it’s very much the case once bitten twice shy for me and I will never set foot in that place again whoever is in charge.

Once a Red always a Red. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Fully agree Pass after 60 years supporting and this club threw us out of the stand and yet to this day no true explanation or apology given.
    We’ve have always known we are a selling club with hero’s leaving and yet more arrive, a fact I’ve always accepted being a small club.

These people have thrown me out (two season tickets) as a paying customer so it’s very much the case once bitten twice shy for me and I will never set foot in that place again whoever is in charge.

Once a Red always a Red. Shame on them.
    Same here Poggs. I've moved on now and won't be turning back. I suspect like you, I've now got other priorities.