+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Brindley,Needham ,Stubbs,Worthington

* Chessie * not Cheshire.
    BP text again.😡

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    Talking of which we used to pay the extra tanner to sit in the old Meadow Lane stand if it was raining or snowing .
    Great , nostalgic , memories.
    We used to go in the old Meadow Lane stand if it was raining. Never cost anything then (1960's). It was always empty and colder in there than outside and the rain battering down on the tin roof! Same as the old County Rd stand, always empty and bloody freezing! I never went in the Main stand.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... or even Sheridan Loxley Carver
    Bert Loxley, he used to live 5 doors up from my aunt on Morris St, Daybrook. It was in the 50's i used to wait for him to come out his house then get the number 57 bus into town with him,sat on the top deck having a fag!.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    5 doors up from my aunt on Morris St, Daybrook..... in the 50's.
    You can't post memories related to that time and location without being asked..... Did you know the Shipman's at 163 Longmead Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If I read the reports right when I went through them some time ago, the Aldershot sending off mentioned earlier up the thread (Dick Renwick) involved Astle, not Barber. The man that ended Mike Barber's career was Cyril Beavon of Oxford United the following month on 17th October 1964. for which he too was sent off.

Edit: Beavon was the father of Stuart Beavon, who came to Notts on loan in 1979/80.
    Having delved into Maggie's attic and had a good rummage round I have to take issue.
    Barber made 5 appearances that season and the Aldershot game was the 7 th of the season,so I'm surmising he was almost ever-present until that game.
    The incident happened not six yards from me.The stretcher was summoned and after one of those awful silences he was carried off with a broken leg.One of those things a 10 y.o. remembers from an otherwise dull nil-niler.
    I sincerely doubt he was able to play against Oxford a month later.Nor could it have been Astle being substantially damaged,as he was sold to W.B.A. around then.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    Having delved into Maggie's attic and had a good rummage round I have to take issue.
    Barber made 5 appearances that season and the Aldershot game was the 7 th of the season,so I'm surmising he was almost ever-present until that game.
    The incident happened not six yards from me.The stretcher was summoned and after one of those awful silences he was carried off with a broken leg.One of those things a 10 y.o. remembers from an otherwise dull nil-niler.
    I sincerely doubt he was able to play against Oxford a month later.Nor could it have been Astle being substantially damaged,as he was sold to W.B.A. around then.
    Official history book lists Barber as playing against Oxford on 17th October 1964, wearing no.11, though he had missed the 7 games before that after the Aldershot game on 12th September 1964, implying he had also got injured in the Aldershot game.
    The book also lists Astle as playing against Aldershot as well as the next 4 games after that, Newport away being his last on 28th September 1964.
    Where I've been able to cross reference, I've found The Official History does occasionally make mistakes so we can't take that as gospel but if the reports say the same thing then it will be correct. I'll have another look at the Aldershot report.

Here we go.....

Colin Slater wrote v Aldershot " sensational second half at Meadow Lane this afternoon Aldershot left back Dick Renwick was sent off after a 55th-minute incident involving Notts. County centre forward Jeff Astle. After that, Aldershot fought a determined defensive battle... Astle was carried to the touchline, where County trainer Jack Wheeler. and two St ' John Ambulance men attended to him"

And for Oxford, Football Post "...struggle between Notts. County and Oxford United this afternoon, before the second lowest gate of the season—under 5,000. Eleven minutes from the end, the Oxford right back Cyril Beavon was given his marching orders for a foul on Barber"
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 27-03-2024 at 09:00 PM.

Just to add my tuppence worth . . . . Mike Barber's time at Notts came a couple of years before I started attending matches, but I can well remember my dad going on about what an exciting and promising player he was, and he always told me that his career ended after a brutal tackle by an OXFORD player who couldn't cope with him. My dad said he had been standing very close to the incident and it was one of the worst fouls he had ever witnessed, so much so that he held something of a grudge against Oxford United for many years afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Just to add my tuppence worth . . . . Mike Barber's time at Notts came a couple of years before I started attending matches, but I can well remember my dad going on about what an exciting and promising player he was, and he always told me that his career ended after a brutal tackle by an OXFORD player who couldn't cope with him. My dad said he had been standing very close to the incident and it was one of the worst fouls he had ever witnessed, so much so that he held something of a grudge against Oxford United for many years afterwards.
    That's interesting, thanks. I like to get these details right.

The problem with The Football Post was that the reports had to be phoned in well before the game finished so that they could get the paper out on to the streets and into the newsagents as fans were still making their way home, so if a game ended 2-0 with goals on 55 and 85 minutes, you'd get a full paragraph devoted to the first goal detailing every player involved in the build up, then one single line tagged on at the end simply adding "and Hateley added the 2nd with 5 minutes remaining."
    As the Oxford sending off for the foul on Barber occurred late in the game, there isn't a description of what actually happened, unless it's been lost in the Optical character read process, but your dad's story makes sense.

From what I can gather after the Aldershot game, Barber simply had a re-occurrence of knee trouble either during that match or in training days later, but he was then able to regain match fitness in time for the visit of Oxford. Tragically for him and Notts, an Oxford player has gone straight for his problem area - enough to put his knee back in plaster - and finished him off once and for all.

Lunaspie has apparently done what we all do and conflated memories of two separate and closely related events into one, but it's all part of the process of getting down to the truth of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    We used to go in the old Meadow Lane stand if it was raining. Never cost anything then (1960's). It was always empty and colder in there than outside and the rain battering down on the tin roof! Same as the old County Rd stand, always empty and bloody freezing! I never went in the Main stand.
    You must have been quite privileged then.😀
    I seem to recall a chap sat next to the entrance with a turnstile inside the ground ?
    Having paid the extra , we were given a small printed & numdered card , similar to the business cards you could self print at railway stations. The date and fees paid were hand written in black ink.
    I often wish ,I'd saved one.
    I can also remember the ball frequently came into the front rows of the ML stand. One shot in particular was a volley from John Sheridan which rattled the twin (HMV style ) tannoy speakers causing much mirth.
    Priceless memories of a much simpler world .

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast