+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brindley,Needham ,Stubbs,Worthington

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    The first team I remember and memorised and can still recite today was

Brown
    Brindley
    Worthington
    Masson
    Needham
    Stubbs
    Nixon
    Randall
    Bradd
    Carter
    Carlin

Oh to have that defence today
    Too young to remember that team, but I was growing up in the era of Short and Yates as our centre-halves, and they could defend (and play) too.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    Nothing gave you more pleasure ( well almost nothing) than watching Ted McDougall sitting in the Notts penalty area having been robbed, and flattened yet again by that defence, with John Bond frothing at the mouth on the side lines.

Looking at Bournemouth now I suppose he had the last laugh, but it was great then.
    You must be thinking of the night game when Bond pursued Jimmy Sirrel down the tunnel at half-time,big Ted McDoodle on his hands and knees searching for the contact lens Stubbsy had poked out his eye.
    Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    You must be thinking of the night game when Bond pursued Jimmy Sirrel down the tunnel at half-time,big Ted McDoodle on his hands and knees searching for the contact lens Stubbsy had poked out his eye.
    Happy days.
    Saturday 5th December 1970 (So not a night game but it would have been dark by FT)
    The beginning of a tense early 1970s rivalry with John Bond's Bournemouth. Bond was furious after the game; 'Our striker Ted MacDougall was spat at by a County player, then as he went for the ball he had two fingers pushed in an eye. On the way home he could still not see properly out of the eye. County's tactics seemed to be to hang on by any means. I had tremendous respect for Jimmy Sirrel, County's manager. I thought he had done a great job. I have now lost that respect..... It saddens me to think that any team has to play the way they did.' Jimmy Sirrel said; 'We are the best team in the division and this is proved on the field.'

My first game was v Crewe on 3rd September 1959 with my grandad.
    My dad supported Florist & he took me to watch them v Birmingham in 1958.
    I've always preferred Notts but those days it was Notts one week & Florist the other. Quite often Notts Reserves in the Football Combination on Saturdays when Notts were away unless an attractive team were playing over the River.
    Team v Crewe
    1 George Smith
    2 John Butler
    3 Jim Cruikshank
    4 John Sheridan
    5. Ken Rawson
    6 Gerry Carver
    7. Don Roby
    8 Roy Horibin
    9. Stan Newsham
    10 Bob Forrest
    11 Alan Withers.
    Notts won 4-1 Newsham & Horobin 2 goals each.

Although the early sixties before Sirrel and Dunnett were difficult times (especially with Eddie Lowe in charge ) there was always a pleasure watching my heroes.
    George Smith ,The Bircumshaw brothers , Carver , Loxley ,Gibson Edwards , Astle , Hateley, & of course Mike Barber.
    The great memory was beating Blackburn Rovers 2-1 in the League Cup ,3rd Rd then Bradford PA & Portsmouth before a 0-1 exit at home to Man City.
    Mike Barber was virtually finished after a serious injury at Watford in Feb 64
    ending his season. Three games the following season included the Aldershot game as mentioned before a further final comeback attempt v Oxford in October 1964.
    I also fondly remember our old timers strike force of Jim Rayner & Derek
    " Doc " Pace. DP scored 15 in 27 games & JR 13 in 32 games.
    Jim R was often seem having a fag in the dug-out like David Coates 😁

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    ending his season. Three games the following season included the Aldershot game as mentioned before a further final comeback attempt v Oxford in October 1964.
    If I read the reports right when I went through them some time ago, the Aldershot sending off mentioned earlier up the thread (Dick Renwick) involved Astle, not Barber. The man that ended Mike Barber's career was Cyril Beavon of Oxford United the following month on 17th October 1964. for which he too was sent off.

Edit: Beavon was the father of Stuart Beavon, who came to Notts on loan in 1979/80.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 26-03-2024 at 09:00 PM.

You may well be correct but Mike Barber was a speed merchant and was certainly targeted as such.
    I was devasted that he was badly injured at Watford and was unlikely to play again .
    Subsequent serious foul play by Aldershot & Oxford certainly finished him.
    Jeff Astle was able to play a further eight games ,after the Aldershot game , before being sold to WBA.
    With regards to Keith Fry and Terry Bly , I recall Mike Thresher breaking Fry's ribs with the first tackle of the game. The Bristol City full back launched Fry into the wall on The JS stand side.
    Ex England CF , John Atyeo was their No 9 and I always remember him wearing the old brown leather boots with leather studs fixed by nails !
    Terry Bly was a big disappointment but suffered from sight problems when he came to Notts. A local Notts player told us that Bly couldn't read the numbers / destination board when they caught the 43 Trolley Bus down to Trent Bridge .

You may well be correct but Mike Barber was a speed merchant and was certainly targeted as such.
    I was devasted that he was badly injured at Watford and was unlikely to play again .
    Subsequent serious foul play by Aldershot & Oxford certainly finished him.
    I had another quick look and ironically it was reported on the day of the Watford match that Barber was seeking a move back down to London, He was taken off with a suspected broken leg in that game, it turned out not to be, but a bad knee injury. In the match following the Oxford game, he was spotted in the stand with his knee in plaster, next to Ivan Hampton who had his wrist in plaster. Barber then had a 2nd knee operation in 6 months that November (1964), resumed training in the new year but was having trouble with it again April 1965 where the Watford game is mentioned as the start of his issues. His contract was cancelled 26 November 1965 by mutual consent.

Certainly a sad end to his career and a big loss to Notts.
    There are programmes on Ebay for his testimonial game v An All Star's XI including the great Tom Finney.

Certainly a sad end to his career and a big loss to Notts.
    There are programmes on Ebay for his testimonial game v An All Star's XI including the great Tom Finney.
    Played on 3rd October '66. Recent World Cup winner Gordon Banks netted from the spot for the Stars.

My first game was v Crewe on 3rd September 1959 with my grandad.
    My dad supported Florist & he took me to watch them v Birmingham in 1958.
    I've always preferred Notts but those days it was Notts one week & Florist the other. Quite often Notts Reserves in the Football Combination on Saturdays when Notts were away unless an attractive team were playing over the River.
    Team v Crewe
    1 George Smith
    2 John Butler
    3 Jim Cruikshank
    4 John Sheridan
    5. Ken Rawson
    6 Gerry Carver
    7. Don Roby
    8 Roy Horibin
    9. Stan Newsham
    10 Bob Forrest
    11 Alan Withers.
    Notts won 4-1 Newsham & Horobin 2 goals each.

Although the early sixties before Sirrel and Dunnett were difficult times (especially with Eddie Lowe in charge ) there was always a pleasure watching my heroes.
    George Smith ,The Bircumshaw brothers , Carver , Loxley ,Gibson Edwards , Astle , Hateley, & of course Mike Barber.
    The great memory was beating Blackburn Rovers 2-1 in the League Cup ,3rd Rd then Bradford PA & Portsmouth before a 0-1 exit at home to Man City.
    I also fondly remember our old timers strike force of Jim Rayner & Derek
    " Doc " Pace. DP scored 15 in 27 games & JR 13 in 32 games.
    Jim R was often seem having a fag in the dug-out like David Coates ��
    My first game was 59 against Exeter it was the same team except Harry Noon was full back not Cruickshank and Loxley replaced Rawson.
    My dad took me to Forest and Notts but being small I couldn’t see very well in a 30,000 crowd at the City ground so I enjoyed it at Notts much more. And the rest is history.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast