+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brindley,Needham ,Stubbs,Worthington

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Wow, didn't know that about Machin, verging on financial/criminally reckless behaviour. This adds to the recent thread at https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38313049 I remember Hateley signing for Liverpool when I was a kid. He is fondly remered

It would have been unfair on Hateley to not give him first tier opportunity which he took to the full. Still a bit of a hero at Liverpool isn't he despite not quite fitting in?
    As a kid and Liverpool supporter I remember Hateley signing for the Reds and he's definitely regarded fondly by supporters of a certain age. I can vividly remember him once falling to his knees to try and head in a waist-high cross rather than try and kick it into an empty net in front of the Kop - and failing!

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    Does anyone remember Charlie Crickmore ,there was a famous time in the 70 71 season when he got the ball in the centre circle ,clean through on goal and ran it out by the corner flag,but he was a brilliant crosser of the ball.
    I'm currently going through the 1969 editions of The Big Match, watching one a week, and Crickmore had popped up a couple of times playing for Derby County. I must say the atmosphere at The Baseball Ground sounded absolutely sensational and it was interesting to see in the last game I watched players surrounding the referee and getting into his face as well a full on fist fight in the crowd in an earlier match being described by a commentator, so things were already getting tasty before the notorious aggro in the 1970s began. I also mentioned on another thread a goalkeeper knocking out a player with a single punch to the head, for which he was merely booked.

Watching these old programmes, I do always begin to imagine how great it would have been to have footage of Notts in the top flight during this period with the likes of Best, the Charlton brothers, Law, Super Mac etc. playing on the Meadow Lane pitch. The viewing figures were enormous at the time, so for clubs who were successful in the 1960s and 1970s, their legendary status seems to be solidified nationally (Derby, Leeds, Fword) in a way that clubs like Huddersfield and Portsmouth aren't, despite the latter being the great sides of their generation.
    We really missed out on something special by being at such a low ebb at that time and only recovering when it was too late.

Does anyone remember Charlie Crickmore ,there was a famous time in the 70 71 season when he got the ball in the centre circle ,clean through on goal and ran it out by the corner flag,but he was a brilliant crosser of the ball.
    Crickmore's crossing ability and Nemane's pace, that'd see us promoted.

Terry Bly was a crock before he arrived which is why he was sold by Peterborough? for whom he'd been banging in goals for fun. Mike Barber (QPR?) was a classy winger who loved cutting inside. I remember seeing him close up as I was on the front of the County Rd stand and I think it was the game he got crunched. My Dad was excited at the signing of Eddie Lowe, classy in his day, soon turned sour as you say.

How are we so good at being bad? Practice?
    It was a shame about Barber, after he retired through injury he manager Bulwell Forest Villa who were in the Notts Alliance. Their ground was in front of the old Sankeys factory which was near to where I lived.
    Me and a couple of mates used to go to watch them train in the week.

Terry Bly was a crock before he arrived which is why he was sold by Peterborough? for whom he'd been banging in goals for fun. Mike Barber (QPR?) was a classy winger who loved cutting inside. I remember seeing him close up as I was on the front of the County Rd stand and I think it was the game he got crunched. My Dad was excited at the signing of Eddie Lowe, classy in his day, soon turned sour as you say.

How are we so good at being bad? Practice?
    You must have been very close to me then.
    Aldershot the visitors,Dick Renwick the offender,immediately sent off.

Sadly i am getting old but does anyone remember that back 4,hey they didnt take any prisoners
    Certainly. These defenders would tackle and put the player through the advertising boards

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I would prefer the whole team. No fancy twinkle toed dans in there...
    Don't forget Arthur Mann

Sadly i am getting old but does anyone remember that back 4,hey they didnt take any prisoners
    Nothing gave you more pleasure ( well almost nothing) than watching Ted McDougall sitting in the Notts penalty area having been robbed, and flattened yet again by that defence, with John Bond frothing at the mouth on the side lines.

Looking at Bournemouth now I suppose he had the last laugh, but it was great then.

Rolls off the tongue, first notts game, I have no problem remembering the side.
    McManus
    Brindley
    OBrien
    Probert
    Needham
    Stubbs
    Randall
    Masson
    Bradd
    Mann
    Scanlon

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    Nothing gave you more pleasure ( well almost nothing) than watching Ted McDougall sitting in the Notts penalty area having been robbed, and flattened yet again by that defence, with John Bond frothing at the mouth on the side lines.

Looking at Bournemouth now I suppose he had the last laugh, but it was great then.
    Ted McDougall, now that's a blast from the past! 103 goals in 146 game for AFCB (1st spell). Career 535 games 256 goals (Care of Wiki).
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 26-03-2024 at 07:08 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast