+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Brindley,Needham ,Stubbs,Worthington

The Brindley, Needham, Stubbs and Worthington back four holds many great memories for me, as does the rest of the teams they featured in. They were tough and uncompromising with probably one of the best central defensive pairings ever in the lower leagues.

Billy Brindley didn't take any prisoners and he was also the type of player you could identify with from the terraces. He was tenacious and determined. Dave Needham was a very classy centre back who read the game well. Great in the air and neat on the ground, a very difficult opponent for any striker physically strong and skilled.

Stubbsy...what can you say about him! Hard as nails, hugely dominant in the air and a killer sliding tackle that was just as liable to land his target into the boards as unload him of the ball, which he normally did. A real attacking threat too getting on the end of Masson corners and free kicks.

Bob Worthington was much maligned at times I felt and most definitely a target for the boo-boys. It must have affected his self-confidence and therefore his play at times. I guess some things never change. He was tall for a full back and also good in the air defensively. His worth needs to be considered in being an important part of a great defensive unit.

Those four were well-schooled by Jimmy Sirrel, they knew exactly what their jobs were. Clear the area and slip the ball to Masson if possible. They were the basis of a lot of Notts' success over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    You must have been quite privileged then.😀
    I seem to recall a chap sat next to the entrance with a turnstile inside the ground ?
    Having paid the extra , we were given a small printed & numdered card , similar to the business cards you could self print at railway stations. The date and fees paid were hand written in black ink.
    I often wish ,I'd saved one.
    I can also remember the ball frequently came into the front rows of the ML stand. One shot in particular was a volley from John Sheridan which rattled the twin (HMV style ) tannoy speakers causing much mirth.
    Priceless memories of a much simpler world .
    As I remember the seats were a long continuous plank of wood with small cross pieces nailed every couple of feet to indicate your seat. There were no backs to the seats and they weren’t very comfortable at all - great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    As I remember the seats were a long continuous plank of wood with small cross pieces nailed every couple of feet to indicate your seat. There were no backs to the seats and they weren’t very comfortable at all - great memories.
    They were. As for Sept59's comment about paying, we only went in there on a midweek if it was raining and with 1500 attendance on a foggy Tuesday night I guess the club didn't think it was worth it. Normal standing place for me was behind the Lane End goal against the stand panelling.
    Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    You must have been quite privileged then.😀
    I seem to recall a chap sat next to the entrance with a turnstile inside the ground ?
    Having paid the extra , we were given a small printed & numdered card , similar to the business cards you could self print at railway stations. The date and fees paid were hand written in black ink.
    I often wish ,I'd saved one.
    I can also remember the ball frequently came into the front rows of the ML stand. One shot in particular was a volley from John Sheridan which rattled the twin (HMV style ) tannoy speakers causing much mirth.
    Priceless memories of a much simpler world .
    Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    They were. As for Sept59's comment about paying, we only went in there on a midweek if it was raining and with 1500 attendance on a foggy Tuesday night I guess the club didn't think it was worth it. Normal standing place for me was behind the Lane End goal against the stand panelling.
    Happy days!
    As a ****ager I stood in front of the seating area with a scarf tied round my wrist trying and failing miserably to look tough.

Did you know Shep and Tarry?

First Notts side I recall, which was around 1963 was Smith, Hampton, Bircumshaw, Sheridan, Gibson, Carver, Fry, Astle, Hateley, Tait, Flower. I too moved behind the Meadow Lane goal as I got older, standing with such long standing pals as Acko, Dave L, Reg, Ken Donovan (Sunshine Tours anyone?) et al. These days, I’m in the DP stand along with some of those same pals.

Anyone remember Fitz with the slick back hair in the 70s ?

I used to stand behind the goal in the Meadow lane end but when my mum started going in the early sixties it cost 6 pence to transfer into the stand and sit on hard wooden seats.
    When we had night matches quite often the Leicester City lads came to watch, Gordon Banks, Graham Cross and Davy Stringfellow were there on a regular basis and sat in that stand.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Anyone remember Fitz with the slick back hair in the 70s ?
    I was just trawling through old American soldier comic book images for a picture of a character I remember seeing in the 70's. Tall slouched slim GI with slicked back black hair!! I was going to ask if anyone remembered him!! I've seen him many times at the ground and he hadn't changed a bit. Must be in his late 60's but looks bloody 21!!! (If that's him? can't for the life of me remember the comic characters name).
    Suppose someone will say the character was Fitz...

Sure that was the end (no pun intended) that Bob W dropped his shorts?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast