+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: All Aboard The Magpie Special

All Aboard The Magpie Special

Name:  Fly Away Magpies.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  100.6 KB

I’ve mentioned before on the forum that I remember flying to a couple of games years ago on trips organised by the Supporters Club. I got no response, and I was beginning to think I’d dreamt it until I came across the front page of the Evening Post from Saturday, January 22, 1972.

The article says, “Seventy-three Notts County supporters on their way in style today to the all-important promotion clash with Bournemouth. Organised by the Football Supporters Club, it was the first-ever trip by plane to be arranged, and all seats on the Viscount aircraft were fully booked weeks ago. Today’s luxury trip cost £10.95 – but everything was laid on. Coaches left Meadow Lane for East Midlands Airport, and when the plane landed at Herne, the supporters were then provided with special coaches and grandstand seats at the ground.”

It was the first time I’d flown, and it was an experience to remember, especially in a Viscount! The game attracted over 21,000, Bournemouth’s biggest gate for 10 years. Notts lost thanks to goals by Ted McDougall and West Bridgford-born Phil Boyer and missed the chance to go top. We remained second, one point behind Aston Villa and ahead of Bournemouth on goal average.

The Supporters Club organised another trip to an away game by plane that season. I can’t remember whether it was against Plymouth or Torquay.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post

I’ve mentioned before on the forum that I remember flying to a couple of games years ago on trips organised by the Supporters Club. I got no response, and I was beginning to think I’d dreamt it until I came across the front page of the Evening Post from Saturday, January 22, 1972.

The article says, “Seventy-three Notts County supporters on their way in style today to the all-important promotion clash with Bournemouth. Organised by the Football Supporters Club, it was the first-ever trip by plane to be arranged, and all seats on the Viscount aircraft were fully booked weeks ago. Today’s luxury trip cost £10.95 – but everything was laid on. Coaches left Meadow Lane for East Midlands Airport, and when the plane landed at Herne, the supporters were then provided with special coaches and grandstand seats at the ground.”

It was the first time I’d flown, and it was an experience to remember, especially in a Viscount! The game attracted over 21,000, Bournemouth’s biggest gate for 10 years. Notts lost thanks to goals by Ted McDougall and West Bridgford-born Phil Boyer and missed the chance to go top. We remained second, one point behind Aston Villa and ahead of Bournemouth on goal average.

The Supporters Club organised another trip to an away game by plane that season. I can’t remember whether it was against Plymouth or Torquay.
    Some fans had flown to a game before that, but that was with the players and staff - Workington away on 8th April 1971, a 27 second silent colour film reel apparently survives of the team at Castle Donington airport that day. IIRC somebody on here was on that flight and mentioned that one of the flight attendants asked Hateley if he was somebody famous and Masson interjected, "no, he just thinks he is."

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post

I live in Bournemouth now and was recounting to a local Cherries supporter the barbed comments John Bond their manager back then made about Jimmy Sirrel's no nonsense Notts team. He was not a fan of the hard tackling Notts defence.
    When Bournemouth played at Meadow Lane Ted McDougall got some real stick from the partisan Notts crowd when he started his theatricals after Stubbsy flattened him.
    John Bond played at West Ham alongside Harry Redknapp.

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts View Post
    John Bond played at West Ham alongside Harry Redknapp.
    And Malcolm Allison. Ironically replacing him as manager at Manchester City.

No flashy trainers back then lol.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Some fans had flown to a game before that, but that was with the players and staff - Workington away on 8th April 1971, a 27 second silent colour film reel apparently survives of the team at Castle Donington airport that day. IIRC somebody on here was on that flight and mentioned that one of the flight attendants asked Hateley if he was somebody famous and Masson interjected, "no, he just thinks he is."
    That's right about Workington.
    Former secretary Chic Heath's son who also worked for many years at Notts told me about that trip a few weeks back in the IKEA restaurant.
    The other flight was definitely to Plymouth .
    A near neighbour passed away and the flight was mentioned during the funeral service.🙏
    His son said that his dad gripped his arm very tightly on landing !
    His dad had been a paratrooper and his son asked why he was so anxious ?
    Dad replied I've only ever jumped out of planes , I've never actually landed inside one ! 😁😁