+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I make no apology for posting this............................

I make no apology for posting this............................

They get anought stick from nearly all fans so here is a chance to explain the nitty gritty ------just need to get rid of VAR and the job's a good 'un!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/belve...ium=member_ios

I make no apology to say I think he is a very poor referee.

The most significant part for me is where he describes his meetings with Andre Marriner to review his performance, to look at how I managed the players, how I interacted with my colleagues, whether the teamwork was good. Honestly, fans don't give a FF for that game management BS, just get the decisions right, Don't be giving penalties for insignificant contact in the penalty area, don't be giving pens for the ball hitting someone's arm when they can do nothing about it, don't be conned into giving free kicks to the players who instigate contact and then fall down as soon as they feel their opponents breath on them. He says they review their decisions, well if so why do they keep making the same mistakes, game after game ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The most significant part for me is where he describes his meetings with Andre Marriner to review his performance, to look at how I managed the players, how I interacted with my colleagues, whether the teamwork was good. Honestly, fans don't give a FF for that game management BS, just get the decisions right, Don't be giving penalties for insignificant contact in the penalty area, don't be giving pens for the ball hitting someone's arm when they can do nothing about it, don't be conned into giving free kicks to the players who instigate contact and then fall down as soon as they feel their opponents breath on them. He says they review their decisions, well if so why do they keep making the same mistakes, game after game ?
    All well and good if they were allowed to referee as they did to get to this level. The problem is that, once they get to this level, they have to follow the instructions given to them by those running the game at this level. This is not the FA or the Football League it is the Premier League -----under the guise of the PGMOL. This is why we have all these stupid excess force, endangering an opponent, player safety is the most important thing etc. etc.
    Officials have to comply with the instruction given as far as interpretation of the Laws of the Game are concerned, although to my mind, that interpretation is different at the top level than it is in the rest of football in the EFL.

i watched all of the video and the sentiments and the procedures seem great so how come it doesn't work in practice? no comment on VAR either, the elephant in the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    All well and good if they were allowed to referee as they did to get to this level. The problem is that, once they get to this level, they have to follow the instructions given to them by those running the game at this level. This is not the FA or the Football League it is the Premier League -----under the guise of the PGMOL. This is why we have all these stupid excess force, endangering an opponent, player safety is the most important thing etc. etc.
    Officials have to comply with the instruction given as far as interpretation of the Laws of the Game are concerned, although to my mind, that interpretation is different at the top level than it is in the rest of football in the EFL.
    As you know Sub I have a lot of time for Michael Oliver, I don't see a decent referee amongst the rest of that sorry bunch of Select Group referees. I know they have to take instructions from above, but who are the people above them, running PGMOL ? it used to be run by ex referee Mike Riley, who took over from ex referee Keith Hackett, now it's run by ex referee Howard Webb. National Group Director is ex referee Mike Jones, select Group 2 Manager is ex referee Kevin Friend, Select Group 1 Coach is ex referee Martin Atkinson, Referee Coach is ex referee Alan Wiley, Head of Community and Public Engagement is ex referee Chris Foy, International Referee Development Manager is ex referee Richard Beeby, another Referee Coach is ex referee Lee Mason, as useless a referee as you're ever going to see, Football Insights Coach is ex referee Andre Marriner.

So today's incompetent referees are overseen, trained and directed by yesterday's incompetent referees, so is it any wonder it's a fecking shambles and getting worse, and no one seems able or willing to do anything to improve the situation ? It's all very nice and cosy, incestuous even, and no one is going to rock the boat when they're all in it together, all on their nice little earners. So we're stuck with useless referees and VAR for the foreseeable future and feck the fans who pay good money to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    As you know Sub I have a lot of time for Michael Oliver, I don't see a decent referee amongst the rest of that sorry bunch of Select Group referees. I know they have to take instructions from above, but who are the people above them, running PGMOL ? it used to be run by ex referee Mike Riley, who took over from ex referee Keith Hackett, now it's run by ex referee Howard Webb. National Group Director is ex referee Mike Jones, select Group 2 Manager is ex referee Kevin Friend, Select Group 1 Coach is ex referee Martin Atkinson, Referee Coach is ex referee Alan Wiley, Head of Community and Public Engagement is ex referee Chris Foy, International Referee Development Manager is ex referee Richard Beeby, another Referee Coach is ex referee Lee Mason, as useless a referee as you're ever going to see, Football Insights Coach is ex referee Andre Marriner.

So today's incompetent referees are overseen, trained and directed by yesterday's incompetent referees, so is it any wonder it's a fecking shambles and getting worse, and no one seems able or willing to do anything to improve the situation ? It's all very nice and cosy, incestuous even, and no one is going to rock the boat when they're all in it together, all on their nice little earners. So we're stuck with useless referees and VAR for the foreseeable future and feck the fans who pay good money to watch.
    All the above have been involved since the PL came into existence, therefore, you know where the problem lies ---they are all under instruction and this is going to be exacerbated by the upcoming referees and all the Academies. You just need to go and watch a few Academy games who have younger referees and you can see where it is all coming from. Very sad for those of us who enjoy proper football as it used to be played.

You know what pisses me off, and it shouldn't really, but it epitomises the problem with football referees. If you watch a RU game, the teams come out, followed by the officials. But not at a football match, the officials proudly stride out in front of the players, preening themselves for the TV cameras, I so want to shout out, 'It's not about you three, get behind the players FFS'.

They're game managers, not referees or liners any more and they're ruining the game at the top level. Those lower down the leagues are salt of the earth, god bless them, it's a thankless task, and as Sub says it's no wonder they're giving it up in droves.

If you want some proper entertainment watch Merson rip into Mike Dean on the SKY Saturday afternoon footy programme. Dean is such a sanctimonious prick who thinks it's OK for a VAR appraisal to take ten minutes "to get the right decision!" FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    If you want some proper entertainment watch Merson rip into Mike Dean on the SKY Saturday afternoon footy programme. Dean is such a sanctimonious prick who thinks it's OK for a VAR appraisal to take ten minutes "to get the right decision!" FFS!
    They don’t even get the right decision though.

Refs have become celebrities in their own right now. Years ago I didn’t know the names of any referees. They turned up, did their job, got abuse from the fans and disappeared. That is how it should be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)