+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Newcastle player serving betting ban ,charged again

Newcastle player serving betting ban ,charged again

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...harge-32462842
    If we want a clean game .bring in a minimum 2 year ban

I feel sorry for him, he obviously needs professional help.

If players aren’t betting on their own matches I can’t see the problem.

Typical of football, it dishes out these draconian bans for this stuff yet the serious stuff and racism they don’t do sh it about.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I feel sorry for him, he obviously needs professional help.

If players aren’t betting on their own matches I can’t see the problem.

Typical of football, it dishes out these draconian bans for this stuff yet the serious stuff and racism they don’t do sh it about.
    That’s true of a lot of addictive behaviours. There’s nothing worse than not wanting to do something but not being able to help yourself. A lot of people with addictions hate what they do but just can’t stop without the right support and strategies. It’s easy to judge. A lot harder to try and understand.

If you want a clean game,it has got to be stamped out .

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    If you want a clean game,it has got to be stamped out .
    How is it a problem if a player is betting on other games and not the games his team is involved with?

Can’t see what the problem is if he was not betting on his own team FFS.

Perhaps if had admitted to liking boys and wearing rainbow boxers he would have received all the help in the world!

Addicts need to be helped as you would help someone with a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Can’t see what the problem is if he was not betting on his own team FFS.

Perhaps if had admitted to liking boys and wearing rainbow boxers he would have received all the help in the world!

Addicts need to be helped as you would help someone with a mental illness
    Exactly, it’s an illness in the same way as it is with drink and drugs and eating disorders.

The worst thing for someone like him is to be stuck in a strange country and cooped up all day unable to do the thing he’s good at.

It makes him more likely to do the thing he’s in trouble for even more and maybe take his own life.

I still want someone to explain how there’s a problem in betting on matches that don’t involve his team?

If he was wasting £50k a week on the horses nobody would blink an eye.

Betting on a horse is no different to him betting on Accrington Stanley v Wrexham, it’s irrelevant.

Gambling is a disease and I feel for so many that fall victim to it and more sorry for the families of those that fall victim of it.

No footballer should gamble on football matches. I suspect one needs to look further than if you bet on a game you are playing in.

Imagine this scenario.

Player A plays for team A and player B plays for team B.

What if player A and player B are friends and bet on each others games, and they stand to gain by the result of each others game………………I think the obvious speaks out for itself.

No player should be betting on a football matches outcome.

If a footballer wants to gamble fair enough, but there are many other things they can gamble on.

Essentially, gambling is a mugs game.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    Gambling is a disease and I feel for so many that fall victim to it and more sorry for the families of those that fall victim of it.

No footballer should gamble on football matches. I suspect one needs to look further than if you bet on a game you are playing in.

Imagine this scenario.

Player A plays for team A and player B plays for team B.

What if player A and player B are friends and bet on each others games, and they stand to gain by the result of each others game………………I think the obvious speaks out for itself.

No player should be betting on a football matches outcome.

If a footballer wants to gamble fair enough, but there are many other things they can gamble on.

Essentially, gambling is a mugs game.
    That scenario is just fanciful though.

Oh, I’ve got a gambling addiction, have you?

Oh great, let’s bet on each others matches shall we?

I just don’t see that OB.

It’s much simpler for any player to get wife/partner or relative to place their bets and I suspect many do.

Until the people that run our football ban betting companies from sponsorship of teams and grounds then I think they’re being hypocrites.

Betting on your own team should be a one year ban, no question and two years for a second offence AND if it’s proven that funds passed between player and a person laying bets for them on their own team then the same should apply.

If I was doing this as a player I don’t think I’d get caught passing it off to someone else to lay bets but then you’re always in danger of that person spouting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    That scenario is just fanciful though.

Oh, I’ve got a gambling addiction, have you?

Oh great, let’s bet on each others matches shall we?

I just don’t see that OB.

It’s much simpler for any player to get wife/partner or relative to place their bets and I suspect many do.

Until the people that run our football ban betting companies from sponsorship of teams and grounds then I think they’re being hypocrites.

Betting on your own team should be a one year ban, no question and two years for a second offence AND if it’s proven that funds passed between player and a person laying bets for them on their own team then the same should apply.

If I was doing this as a player I don’t think I’d get caught passing it off to someone else to lay bets but then you’re always in danger of that person spouting about it.

Agree that sponsorship of gambling companies should be banned as it’s completely hypocritical in my eyes. Until recent days gambling ie putting bets was taking place on the concourse of the stadiums in front of kids.

Says something that Denise Coates is the richest female in the country. When individuals commit suicide because of gambling with her company hope she sleeps well at night! Will she care? No because it’s money - money - money!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)