+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gillingham

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    One final point- how did Lapslie not get a yellow card for persistant foul play. Even the Gills commentators were bemused by that fact.
    Because the ref was weak, for both teams.

What an awful game! That famous passing ability seems to have deserted them again! The middle have started getting hold of the ball but seem unable to pass it. The wind will be against the Alex 2nd half so they need to maintain the high line.
    How the BBC report described it as an entertaining game beats me. It was boring to watch and looked unlikely to produce a goal. Crewe used to be known for their passing as a team but not any longer. Instead we are now treated to hoof ball for a lot of the time. The recent performances are not convincing if we have aspirations of making the play offs.

One win in the last 6 games is relegation form.

No chance of promotion now, irrespective of play offs.

Yes, Mansfield are going to have to be careful!!

Gillingham are only one place below us, and it was important not to lose.

That was a point won.

I would much rather see a gutsy, battling performance like that - and get a point than play a tippy-tappy passing game and lose.

The problem at the moment is timing. Yes one win in 6 is probably relegation type form. However form in January and February was probably title winning. From Aug to end of November the form was between 5th and 2nd.
    My remark about Mansfield was to draw attention the fact that, at different times, all the top 6 have had slumps in form. At the moment Stockport and Wrexham have just uplifted their form, probably just at the right time.
    As I've said before, we've most probably blown automatics but we do have to play Wrexham at home. What we need is one really good win. A win that looks good in terms of performance and in terms of gap of more than one goal. It could be Monday or next Saturday. That's all it might take to end the season on a high note.

The problem at the moment is timing. Yes one win in 6 is probably relegation type form. However form in January and February was probably title winning. From Aug to end of November the form was between 5th and 2nd.
    My remark about Mansfield was to draw attention the fact that, at different times, all the top 6 have had slumps in form. At the moment Stockport and Wrexham have just uplifted their form, probably just at the right time.
    As I've said before, we've most probably blown automatics but we do have to play Wrexham at home. What we need is one really good win. A win that looks good in terms of performance and in terms of gap of more than one goal. It could be Monday or next Saturday. That's all it might take to end the season on a high note.
    I hope you are right and even though we may make the play offs, our performances and goals has dried up with only 5 goals in 5 matches in March. Our style of play has gone! We were one of the top scorers in the league for months and so what's been the problem? Injuries? Managers tactics? Introducing Long yesterday for the last 6 minutes to me was twofold. 1. The manager bottled it? 2. He was saving Long from injury because he knew the automatics had gone and he was being saved for the playoffs and other players coming back could make the difference IF we make the playoffs. I think Long should have played the whole of the second half to give us a chance of the autos..

But we have had a season better than expected and so LB should not be criticised that much really. But March has been a dreadful month for a team in the top 2 to 5...Now number 6..and???

I mean we were in the top 2 in a game at home that we then lost it in the last minute.. Everything changed from that game and the goals have dried up. We lost 2 points yesterday. We gained next to nothing.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 30-03-2024 at 06:57 PM.

I agree with all that.

I also think that the loss of Offord has clearly cost us. The 'slump' seems to have coincided with his injury.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12