+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Maynard out

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Nobody knows for certain, but it's reasonable I think to surmise that Ardley only lasted as long as he did because of the terms of his contract.
    Financial considerations may be a factor in whether or not the owners decide to stick with Maynard into next season, for all we know.
    They will take everything, finances included into account.

If they find a better coach they will definitely factor in the fact that the current results are costing us money too. And the risk of going down next season is very real, and would be an absolute catastrophe financially and for the club in general.

I hope they are at least looking for a replacement right now because riding through next season with SM in charge seems like a huge risk right now.

Regardless, there are serious problems with the squad that must also be addressed. If SM had a solid defence there would be a far lower risk of relegation next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    LW said in his December 2023 interview that the squad were working hard to eliminate the calamitous errors costing Notts points. That obviously didn't work. SM has also worked on the same problem, but has also been unable to fix the problem - to date.

So is it the Managers or the players?

If I'm to apportion blame, it would be something like:

Recruitment 50%*, Players 30% and Management 20%

And against MKD, Notts put in a competitive performance against one of the better teams.

I believe, If you put a good goalkeeper and two dominant center backs in this team, ......we're challengers again.

*Only caveat, I'm blaming recruitment, but we don't know what limits the recruitment team are operating under. It's possible there were no suitable players available, given necessary financial restrictions.
    I'm in your camp regards apportioning blame other than the caveat re 'suitable players available'.
    You don't buy injured strikers when its obvious to everyone it was defenders that were required. I don't for one second think Williams was knocking on Montague's door demanding the signing of an injury prone forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Do not think we will ever agree on Ardley
    For me one of the worst ever Notts Managers- relegated us after being 7 points ahead of Macclesfield who were in as much or bigger trouble off field ., to defensive , always playing for the point never for the win , SEEMS BIT LIKE SM Then failing in 2 attempts to get us promoted- i relly believe that a better coach would have got us promoted 1st time. Put it this way if LW had been the head coach for our 1st season in the NL would he have done better ??
    It wasn’t I thought Ardley was amazing it was we did need a bit of continuity. I don’t think anyone would have got us 1st as we played a ridiculous amount of games the first 2 months still whilst signing players.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    LW said in his December 2023 interview that the squad were working hard to eliminate the calamitous errors costing Notts points. That obviously didn't work. SM has also worked on the same problem, but has also been unable to fix the problem - to date.

So is it the Managers or the players?

If I'm to apportion blame, it would be something like:

Recruitment 50%*, Players 30% and Management 20%

And against MKD, Notts put in a competitive performance against one of the better teams.

I believe, If you put a good goalkeeper and two dominant center backs in this team, ......we're challengers again.

*Only caveat, I'm blaming recruitment, but we don't know what limits the recruitment team are operating under. It's possible there were no suitable players available, given necessary financial restrictions.
    Don’t think you’re far off. I think SMs tweaked bits for the right reasons but blunted the attack a bit. I think some player’s confidence has ebbed away through the season from conceding so many goals and have been hit mentally by LW departure.
    We play 3 cbs and obviously 1 keeper and have about 9 players covering those roles and bar Macari not one do fans universally rate and that tells you all you need to know on recruitment in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    They'd have to spend money on a new manager, who'd presumably want his own staff, so they'd have to sack the two guys Maynard brought with him as well.

Money may or may not be an issue (they might be using most of the Williams money to pay off debt for example), the fact they hired a part time manager from Wealdstone leads me to think that it is at least a significant factor, if not the full story. I cannot believe they simply thought he was the best manager out there if it's the case that they could have afforded to poach a full time manager from higher up.

The most realistic alternative explanation is that he's the best available that's willing to accept the level of interference that comes from above, which wouldn't bode well either. We can use euphemisms like "best fit for the club", "fits out model", but we're basically saying "yes man" with those phrases. That would be fine if that was working, but everybody seems to agree that recruitment has been a disaster and despite the obvious issues, that was still not addressed in January.
    You wouldn't use the money from Williams to pay off debt, that's what day to day profits do. You use use it to invest on bringing another good manager in. This is where the brothers failed, they went for the cheap option.

The other two would have been contracted to Wealdstone so would have had their own compensation same as the guy that went with Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    You wouldn't use the money from Williams to pay off debt, that's what day to day profits do. You use use it to invest on bringing another good manager in. This is where the brothers failed, they went for the cheap option.
    How much did we pay to get Williams in?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    How much did we pay to get Williams in?
    Exactly, Zero. Talk about poaching a manager higher up is crazy, we’ve got a budget 10/12th in L2. I think it would have been an ask to get Wild let alone anyone above.
    I’d just give Maynard the rest of the season, if he can get some performances and results when there’s nothing to play for it may be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Exactly, Zero. Talk about poaching a manager higher up is crazy, we’ve got a budget 10/12th in L2. I think it would have been an ask to get Wild let alone anyone above.
    I’d just give Maynard the rest of the season, if he can get some performances and results when there’s nothing to play for it may be a good sign.
    And OP67 said we went for the cheap option with Maynard. Things don't always add up do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    And OP67 said we went for the cheap option with Maynard. Things don't always add up do they?
    I don’t think they went for the cheap option, righty or wrongly they admired what SM was doing, they said that.
    Who would be an expensive option? No one as when LW came up collectively with one name. The reason being is we are L2 with a modest budget. we are not going to poach a manager top end of L1 or L2 probably so you either look lower down, a number 2 higher up the leagues or someone experienced but probably not a great CV, none of which are going to be overly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I don’t think they went for the cheap option, righty or wrongly they admired what SM was doing, they said that.
    The point I was trying to get over that it was LW who was the cheap option, contrary to what OP67 appeared to be alluding to.

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast