+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Maynard out

I have just been able to listen to Mr Maynard’s after match interview. He clears up the individual mistakes after being asked on a bobbly pitch on a windy day why don’t defenders put the ball in row Z.

He didn’t agree that was the way he wanted to play, so the players are carrying out his instructions which other teams have sussed out so they harry us until we make a mistake which we do on a regular basis.

He therefore must accept responsibility for those mistakes and his inability to realise we can’t continue to play that way in all situations against all opponents means he must be replaced.

The way we play relies on players being confident. When players are not confident, it becomes evident that the easy pass is always taken - which is what we are seeing. Possession for possession sake to the point that it becomes mundane, predictable and without an end product. The players won’t even realise they are doing it.
    My concern is that the club have become obsessed with this playing style that they and the Head Coach won’t sway from it… even if it’s detrimental to the players confidence and results.
    Let’s be right.. apart from the odd exception performance levels are in free fall and Maynard doesn’t seem to believe they are - which is where he loses my support. Coming out and saying performance levels have been good is ridiculous. LW is head and shoulders above Maynard. He said it how he sees it. Maynard doesn’t and I believe that’s because he doesn’t have the backing of the squad and is worried that if he calls them out (correctly), then they will down tools completely.

He's useless as the table and results tell you. Rest is just chatter, be-gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The way we play relies on players being confident. When players are not confident, it becomes evident that the easy pass is always taken - which is what we are seeing. Possession for possession sake to the point that it becomes mundane, predictable and without an end product. The players won’t even realise they are doing it.
    My concern is that the club have become obsessed with this playing style that they and the Head Coach won’t sway from it… even if it’s detrimental to the players confidence and results.
    Let’s be right.. apart from the odd exception performance levels are in free fall and Maynard doesn’t seem to believe they are - which is where he loses my support. Coming out and saying performance levels have been good is ridiculous. LW is head and shoulders above Maynard. He said it how he sees it. Maynard doesn’t and I believe that’s because he doesn’t have the backing of the squad and is worried that if he calls them out (correctly), then they will down tools completely.
    I agree. I was there at Swindon and yes it was a crap pitch in windy day, and so anyone with half a brain would go a little more aerial and cut out unnecessary passing. When he decided to do that 20 mins too late, he took off our best crosser and moved Nemane inside- brainless.
    The whole team looked bereft of confidence, confidence that has been ripped away but this guy. Time and again yesterday ML and Didzy made good forward runs and the midfielders in possession ignored them and sent sideways or back! SM has made the good players look bad and it’s criminal. We still have issues: Cameron, Baldwin et al.

Things are getting worse day by day and so leaving things until May will be disastrous - best players will want to go and tickets sales will tank. We simply cannot do worse even if we just put a caretaker in to liven things up a bit and raise the confidence levels. Football is a simple game but we are making it look very complicated and mundane.

Listening to the Swindon commentary they took the piss over and over again, I’d like to argue against what they said, but can’t. We are a laughing stock. I’m not sure without a significant clear out and new direction that is going to change anytime soon.

Things needed to change significantly after Shrewsbury. Nothing has.

Maynard isn’t the man to change them other than in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Listening to the Swindon commentary they took the piss over and over again, I’d like to argue against what they said, but can’t. We are a laughing stock. I’m not sure without a significant clear out and new direction that is going to change anytime soon.

I see Shrewsbury as the defining moment in our season - a game played with zero intensity where we gifted an inept opposition three calamitous goals and the win. Barring the very rare okay performance to the contrary, it’s been all downhill ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post

When we played Harrogate the home fans also took the pi*s every time we passed back to the keeper, and that was with LW in charge..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    When we played Harrogate the home fans also took the pi*s every time we passed back to the keeper, and that was with LW in charge..
    We were dire, the worst performance under Williams I think.
    It's easy to go from possession with purpose to aimless passing, it only takes a loss of confidence to lose the ball. Matty Palmer covered so much ground to get to the player with the ball and give them an easy pass and then took it on himself to be the playmaker and we still haven't got over his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    We were dire, the worst performance under Williams I think.
    It's easy to go from possession with purpose to aimless passing, it only takes a loss of confidence to lose the ball. Matty Palmer covered so much ground to get to the player with the ball and give them an easy pass and then took it on himself to be the playmaker and we still haven't got over his injury.
    Absolutely true about Matty
    Robertson looked like he could be the answer when he first came in but he's fallen away alarmingly

Quote Originally Posted by Iremongersrighthand View Post
    Can anyone tell me if it's not mathematically possible for us to get relegated this season? I am really started to get worried.
    It is almost inconceivable that we could go down - it would take insane results to endanger us - but we are not mathematically safe yet. One point would mean we are. We're on 51 points with a GD of 1.

If all the clubs below us win against every club currently above them:
    FGR - 51 points (GD currently -30)
    Sutton - 51 points (GD currently -25)
    Colchester - 61 points
    Grimsby - 55 points
    Salford - 62 points
    Swindon - 59 points
    Accrington - 68 points
    Tranmere - 59 points

Also that was a fun way to realise we've fallen below Doncaster.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast