+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Turn out in numbers on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    In my opinion he needs to ditch his conservative approach on how to play and take the shackles off.Let him prove he knows how to set up a team to attack and let them play how we were before he came.let the wing backs push on and the rest will follow.! Hes got half a dozen games let the players loose and play the way they know....!!
    An alarming thing for me is listening to all the steps back he'd take if he's given the chance. First we have the 'tweaks' to stop teams breaking on us. OK, but let's be honest about the trade off with our attacking potency. But now we have the 'defend the box' mantra. Anybody else not really recognise what he was saying about L2 teams putting the ball in your box 'all the time'?! Massive exaggeration that, IMO.

But it signals the next stage of turning us into the L2 Wealdstone. A small club mentality when we'll load up defensively to fend off the attacks of the L2 giants. We need better defending and better defenders, but we don't need a defensive mentality and identity.
    Hope the bros take note of this too in their current considerations. We didn't get the extra thousands back to Meadow Lane by being scared of the opposition.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 30-03-2024 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    If a manager sees it and doesnt change it then
    A - it's his fault as he should be screaming his head off to get the said miss match sorted if the player isnt sorting it himself.
    B - could be considered an incompetent buffoon who doesn't know what he's doing !
    My point is Pedro, that the players should be making these changes themselves. SM can't micromanage every single thing that happens second by second during the game. The players need to show some initiative surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Iremongersrighthand View Post
    My point is Pedro, that the players should be making these changes themselves. SM can't micromanage every single thing that happens second by second during the game. The players need to show some initiative surely?
    I see your point, but a good manager will spot such things and change it if need be.a midget marking a giant isnt a micromanage situation from corners.if players cant sort it then the manager shouts his nut off to sort it

Fans are often prone to making idle threats about not renewing season tickets or turning up and making predictions that gates will drop through the floor, but there does appear to be people on here at least who've genuinely had enough..... and - it seems - not just with the results.
    It is very often the fans who have to force the issue and sometimes, perhaps, owners appreciate that as the excuse they need to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    An alarming thing for me is listening to all the steps back he'd take if he's given the chance. First we have the 'tweaks' to stop teams breaking on us. OK, but let's be honest about the trade off with our attacking potency. But now we have the 'defend the box' mantra. Anybody else not really recognise what he was saying about L2 teams putting the ball in your box 'all the time'?! Massive exaggeration that, IMO.

But it signals the next stage of turning us into the L2 Wealdstone. A small club mentality when we'll load up defensively to fend off the attacks of the L2 giants. We need better defending and better defenders, but we don't need a defensive mentality and identity.
    Hope the bros take note of this too in their current considerations. We didn't get the extra thousands back to Meadow Lane by being scared of the opposition.
    ^^
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    I fully understand that some, maybe many on this site may disagree with this post. However, I have supported Notts for over sixty five years now, and I profer the argument that Notts need our support on Monday, more than any other time in our recent history.

Not getting behind the team will do nothing to help achieve a result against M K Dons. Do we want them to win and us to lose? No, of course we don’t; so please if you are able turn out on Monday and get right behind the team, and show them and the Brothers how much our club means to us all.

Let us encourage the players, and create an atmosphere that will lift them and produce a result we all wish for. If the game doesn’t go our way, then provided the players have given their all, we can ask no more, but we can still cheer and applaud their efforts.

Right now, Notts County and the players need us, more than we need them. Let’s cheer and lift the rafters off on Monday, and support our team which has provided us with so much joy and happiness in the last few years.
    Yeah well said. It's not as black and white as some people make out with Maynard this Maynard that. A bit of luck, a bit of confidence, an alignment of the stars and admittedly a few better decisions (but hindsight always helps) and I think we may have gone in a different direction. I still think that could happen.

I definitely agree that getting behind the team is the only positive way forward. Everyone at the club wants the best for Notts so better to unite rather than fight and diss. That shows more strength and character. And let's remember how even a few months ago this team were a f***ing joy to watch.

I will be there on Monday and will not leave early as I've never left early. However I understand the reasoning behind those who choose to vote with their feet and coupled with the season being over, plus it's a Bank Holiday so people may decide to do other things. The frustration, anger and resentment building are evident but I believe it's also stems from the first defeat at Sutton away. It was the reality check that would tell us we would have problems and weaknesses this season and they were unmasked during LW time in other games such as Colchester, Shrewsbury, Walsall, Harrogate, Wimbledon and Tranmere.

But under LW it came off the back of the best season ever for me despite the level and we had a manager who had credit in the bank and who the players seemed to love and believe in plus the momentum. We had that Moniz if they score three we will score four about us which kept entertainment levels high because we knew that despite our failings and vulnerabilities we had enough creativity and firepower to overcome it but not all of the time. We let FGR score three at Meadow Lane but still beat them by scoring four. Look where they are in the table. We had good results against the likes of Swindon, Bradford, Morecambe, Doncaster, Salford and all the other games we won that have in the fullness of time saved us from trouble.

Stuart Maynard's appointment was supposed to give hope to all those football coaches out there from the volunteer heroes at grassroots level all the way up to part time and paid semi professional level that making the step up the level wherever you are on your coaching journey is possible. That was supposed to be the story.

The results have proven that since SM's been here it's is not working and something is missing and I think this may have been mentioned in commentary about spirit or purpose. For me it is the LW factor and spirit. That enthusiatic, energy and high intensity part of his personality is the missing piece of the jigsaw that made the way we play have the high risk high reward element. Yes people would have laughed at the two goals we conceded yesterday but had we scored two more and won as may have been the case under LW it's more palpable.

A team is afterall reflective of the managers personality. We still play the same under both LW and SM in terms of a possession based game looking for gaps and retaining the ball, but under SM it feels more conservative and leans more towards Ardleyball such as respecting the point and playing to not lose. The stats may say otherwise but that is the feeling of watching the games.

Perhaps we should just try and outscore the opposition from now until the end of the season much like the JOB Grimsby game which the 5-5 will go down in history. It seems it's the only way we can win more games than we lose because we know there will be indivdual errors in key moments by someone different each game which will cost us. At least it's more entertaining and we get to see more goals.

Regardless I think trying to be the 12th man is the best way forward no matter how hard that may seem for some. Lift the team up rather than tear them down.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 30-03-2024 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I will be there on Monday and will not leave early as I've never left early. However I understand the reasoning behind those who choose to vote with their feet and coupled with the season being over, plus it's a Bank Holiday so people may decide to do other things. The frustration, anger and resentment building are evident but I believe it's also stems from the first defeat at Sutton away. It was the reality check that would tell us we would have problems and weaknesses this season and they were unmasked during LW time in other games such as Colchester, Shrewsbury, Walsall, Harrogate, Wimbledon and Tranmere.

But under LW it came off the back of the best season ever for me despite the level and we had a manager who had credit in the bank and who the players seemed to love and believe in plus the momentum. We had that Moniz if they score three we will score four about us which kept entertainment levels high because we knew that despite our failings and vulnerabilities we had enough creativity and firepower to overcome it but not all of the time. We let FGR score three at Meadow Lane but still beat them by scoring four. Look where they are in the table. We had good results against the likes of Swindon, Bradford, Morecambe, Doncaster, Salford and all the other games we won that have in the fullness of time saved us from trouble.

Stuart Maynard's appointment was supposed to give hope to all those football coaches out there from the volunteer heroes at grassroots level all the way up to part time and paid semi professional level that making the step up the level wherever you are on your coaching journey is possible. That was supposed to be the story.

The results have proven that since SM's been here it's is not working and something is missing and I think this may have been mentioned in commentary about spirit or purpose. For me it is the LW factor and spirit. That enthusiatic, energy and high intensity part of his personality is the missing piece of the jigsaw that made the way we play have the high risk high reward element. Yes people would have laughed at the two goals we conceded yesterday but had we scored two more and won as may have been the case under LW it's more palpable.

A team is afterall reflective of the managers personality. We still play the same under both LW and SM in terms of a possession based game looking for gaps and retaining the ball, but under SM it feels more conservative and leans more towards Ardleyball such as respecting the point and playing to not lose. The stats may say otherwise but that is the feeling of watching the games.

Perhaps we should just try and outscore the opposition from now until the end of the season much like the JOB Grimsby game which the 5-5 will go down in history. It seems it's the only way we can win more games than we lose because we know there will be indivdual errors in key moments by someone different each game which will cost us. At least it's more entertaining and we get to see more goals.

Regardless I think trying to be the 12th man is the best way forward no matter how hard that may seem for some. Lift the team up rather than tear them down.
    Got to admit it would be interesting to be all attack minded again. We do seem in a bit of a limbo - trying to sure things up at the back meaning a more blunted attack.... That said we have had games when the balance has been decent - Wrexham we was robbed, Newport away, Bratfud away.... etc

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Fans are often prone to making idle threats about not renewing season tickets or turning up and making predictions that gates will drop through the floor, but there does appear to be people on here at least who've genuinely had enough..... and - it seems - not just with the results.
    It is very often the fans who have to force the issue and sometimes, perhaps, owners appreciate that as the excuse they need to pull the trigger.
    I get a bit tired of people saying they’re not renewing, if you’re genuinely not going to then don’t, no one needs to know or is it just wanting attention?
    I only briefly considered it when we went down to the NL but did renew, my indecision lasted probably hours on the day of the relegation. I personally believe if you’re just going to down tools at the first sight of trouble then are you a proper supporter? Fully understand to some it’s a financial challenge sometimes but for me your either in this or not, we had one of our greatest days less than a year ago, yes we are in a bit of a mess now but it does need a bit of prospective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    Got to admit it would be interesting to be all attack minded again. We do seem in a bit of a limbo - trying to sure things up at the back meaning a more blunted attack.... That said we have had games when the balance has been decent - Wrexham we was robbed, Newport away, Bratfud away.... etc
    I'd agree about the Wrexham game. I'd also add Mansfield into the mix in the fact we created and were really positive and confident in our attacking play certainly within the first quarter of the game that we should have scored at least one. The pinball machine of three shots in about as many seconds in the Mansfield box stands out in my mind. Those two games were fine margins. I'd imagine the Radar will have picked up both Mansfield and Wrexham games as ones in which statistically we deserved more if the way the key moments have gone are noticable to the naked eye. Against two promotion candidates that's a positive.

There maybe other games where the Radar may have picked up we have done enough so to speak statistically to win the game but due to the individual errors have not. I'd imagine yesterday statistically a draw may have been expected. That first chance early on we should have scored.

Home is where we have had the poorest results under SM as we know. There are four games left MK Dons, Harrogate, Stockport and Colchester. We need something positive on Monday and this is the problem for SM is that a large majority of the fans attending have not seen a win under SM in five attempts if they don't go to away games or buy the stream.

Also add into this that from August 2019 until Jan 2024 Meadow Lane has been a tough place to come and we've won more games than we have lost in that time. So that's 4 and 1/2 years it's taken to build the current levels of attendance up and there will be plenty of the 4,000 extra fans who will have not seen consectuctive defeats at home.

Away from home we are picking up on average a point a game.

Home P6, W0, D1, L5, GF6, GA15, GD-9, Pts 1
    Away P7, W2, D1, L4, GF10, GA9, GD+1, Pts 7

We've have conceded the most amount of goals of any side in this league and the third most. That is the argument for all out attack from now until the end of the season especially at home. It can't get any worse and this season can be summed up as National League defending, League One striking.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast